The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purplefrog
Seeing as you're a guy, a safe bet would be to wear smart shirt, trousers and shoes. Don't think there's any need for a tie/jacket. That's what most of us wore for our BSc vivas - though I did a semi-clinical BSc.
Always safer to play it more on the smarter side than the other way round... Good luck!

Though remembering your previous posts... if you are in the running for the UoL Gold Medal, a suit might not go amiss... though so long as you're vaguely presentable, I doubt they'll care whatever the viva is for :smile:

Aye, that is the one I'm going for. Was gonna dress smart either way, just more thinking if this is the kind of viva I should be suited for, or just dress how I would for an OSCE. Cheers for the advice!
Original post by Zaphod77
Are they good then? I saw the price and avoided :tongue:

Yeah and get netter's over other brands because they have the most information on. For example grays will just name the muscle whereas netter's will give the innervation, attachments and medical relevance. Honestly they're great and you can use them anywhere.
Original post by Hippokrates
Yeah and get netter's over other brands because they have the most information on. For example grays will just name the muscle whereas netter's will give the innervation, attachments and medical relevance. Honestly they're great and you can use them anywhere.

Original post by Becca-Sarah
If you have the Gray's Anatomy textbook there are matching flashcards that are supposed to be pretty good, but if you don't have it then the Netter's cards are great. Not sure what prices are like on Amazon at the moment but I tend to find medicprint.com cheaper for textbooks etc.

Original post by lcsurfer
I have the Netter's ones too and its the only reason I've passed the anatomy this year (I've had to learn all systems and anatomy etc)... Absolute life saver just doing them on the tube etc whilst travelling. I got mine for half price but I'd happily pay full price for them any day

Thank you everyone! Much appreciated :smile:
Is there a thread for electives anywhere?
Passed first year!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1985
So, how do you guys think Scottish independence would affect medical training? For years I've wanted to do my foundation program in Scotland, is that going to turn out to be a reckless decision...?
Original post by Clean Slate
Is there a thread for electives anywhere?

There've been a few but no big ones recently. This is the longest one I could find, but it's quite old now http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=752363
Original post by Tech
So, how do you guys think Scottish independence would affect medical training? For years I've wanted to do my foundation program in Scotland, is that going to turn out to be a reckless decision...?

I was debating this with my friend a few days and we were trying to figure out if there were enough places in scottish uni's for the amount of f1's they need or if they would need to 'import' them. TBH I don't think anybody knows as of yet.
Original post by Tech

The Scottish Government has said that postgraduate medical training will continue under the current co-operative four-country model after independence. The BMA have said that Scotland already have the power to diverge its medical education independently under the current state of devolution, but we've chosen not to (thankfully). My problem is, if we're no longer regulated by the GMC (whose scope of practise currently lies within the UK) does that have implications for Scotland-trained doctors who want to work in the rest of the UK? Would (could?) we re-legislate regulation by the GMC? Would we still be GMC-regulated by default? Could there be a "Scottish branch"? Or would we require an independent Scottish Medical Council acting on behalf of the Scottish Government, and what would its extent of co-operation with the GMC be?

God knows what's going on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not that I'm complaining or anything, but the way in which my female colleagues choose to dress for work cracks me right up.

brb totting around the ward in my heels, skin-tight dress with my handbag over my shoulder and my volumized hair. lol yea im a girl doctor dont hit on me u silly boys xoxo
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by crazylemon
My guess is the GMC will keep doing it initially. Over time they might have a SGMC or whatever, I don't see it being too much of an issue, it doesn't make sense to make it bloody difficult. Even if it becomes a SGMC I don't see England/whatever you call the UK without Scotland refusing to recognise Scottish medical degrees
Plus assuming we stay in the EU it should be ok anyway.

Although that looks a little dodgy these days too. Which is concerning slightly for me, I might have to try and get another EU country passport. Not that I particularly wanted to have to...

Edit: as far as I am aware there isn't enough of a shortage of Drs in scotland for them to force people to stay?

An independent Scotland won't be in the EU to start with though.

Think there is a shortage - Aberdeen's A&E was in the news recently because they need 10 registrars and only 2 spots have been filled for August. Lots of empty consultant posts across several specialties too. Not sure if this is a northern Scotland thing rather than a general Scotland thing though.
Original post by shiggydiggy
Not that I'm complaining or anything, but the way in which my female colleagues choose to dress for work cracks me right up.

brb totting around the ward in my heels, skin-tight dress with my handbag over my shoulder and my volumized hair. lol yea im a girl doctor dont hit on me u silly boys xoxo

I've just started placement and I was taken aback by this as well. We were given a whole lecture about professionalism and dressing appropriately, yet some girls look like they're ready to go clubbing. :lolwut:
Original post by Angury
I've just started placement and I was taken aback by this as well. We were given a whole lecture about professionalism and dressing appropriately, yet some girls look like they're ready to go clubbing. :lolwut:

This, someone turned up to the osce is brightly colored converse and skinny jeans.
This, someone turned up to the osce is brightly colored converse and skinny jeans.

!!

Though by 5th year, suddenly it's the opposite and you turn up to anything remotely official in full smart clothes even when you don't need to like revision practice.

Wow

I like this.

I might have to save that as a(nother) case to illustrate how politicians care only about what's popular and not actually helping people. I mean, naming those who under-investigate but not those who over-investigate? I guess 'specificity' is not a term Jeremy Hunt has heard of.
(edited 9 years ago)

We should all be giving people homeopathic quantities of tobacco smoke, red meat and ?IBD biopsies while we're at it. Seriously, how do these people dream up these sorts of policies??

It starts off perfectly reasonable: we need to improve early detection of cancers and bring up lagging areas of the country. How do you jump from there to "publicly shaming GPs is the solution"?
(edited 9 years ago)

Haha reminds me of my male friend who got marked down in OSCEs for basically looking too slutty :tongue:

Apparently one button unbuttoned too far down :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending