The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lcsurfer
Just wondering what books do people use to study Neuro?
Like everything neuro, starting from the bottom of rung (and by that I mean GCSE standard) upwards, that explains things very gently and nicely that I can do in a month.

Crossman and Neary's neuroanatomy is the gold standard. Very small and cheap book, but goes into plenty of detail to give you a good understand of the subject. Makes a very complex subject very simple. Only book I used for neuroanatomy and it covered more than I needed!

For neuroscience, I don't really know. Make sure you have an understanding of the neuron and action potential (any physiology or general medical book, or even wikipedia, would do). I never used a dedicated neuroscience text and just used the big physiology books (like Guyton and Hall's) to learn the physiology.

Edit: actually, reading Democracy's post above I did use "crash course nervous system" - doesn't go into much detail and didn't cover a lot of what I needed to know - but a fantastic introduction to the basic concepts

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lcsurfer
Just wondering what books do people use to study Neuro?
Like everything neuro, starting from the bottom of rung (and by that I mean GCSE standard) upwards, that explains things very gently and nicely that I can do in a month.

You wanna study me? :sexface:
Original post by -Neuro-

Very funny. However read the OP:

Rules: You must be a current university Medical Student or Doctor to join.

soz
Original post by -Neuro-

I think I'd end up on some sort of register if i did... :wink:
Original post by Asklepios
x

You confuse me everytime I see you, I keep thinking it's RK with that icon :lol:

Just thought I'd share that :colonhash:
Original post by Democracy
Neuroanatomy by Crossman and Crash Course Nervous System.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Crossman and Neary's neuroanatomy is the gold standard. Very small and cheap book

Edit: actually, reading Democracy's post above I did use "crash course nervous system" - doesn't go into much detail and didn't cover a lot of what I needed to know - but a fantastic introduction to the basic concepts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both :biggrin: I've got them both and going to start tomorrow maybe :/
I keep putting it off as results for the first exams are out next week and manflu has hit me
I feel this is going to be a complete car crash this exam but I've been told its fairly clinical so I'm hoping for the best!
Very simple question: can you measure Creatinine Clearance in grammes/day?
If the answer is yes-then why? Clearance is supposed to be volume/unit of time!
I'm only asking this because we were given this exercise about Cr clearance at uni and it was measured in g/24h so maybe it was just a mistake and it was supposed to be L/day?
Original post by panda1093
I'm only asking this because we were given this exercise about Cr clearance at uni and it was measured in g/24h so maybe it was just a mistake and it was supposed to be L/day?

Medicine Fresher '14 / stalker but just thought I could give a hand from my basic knowledge of a-level chemistry:

5 grams = 5 millitres
100 grams = 100 millilitres
1000 grams (1kg) = 1000 Litres (1 L)

the conversion of grams : millilitres is 1:1
or in your case grams : litres is 1 : 0.001

so you can sort of use them interchangeably?
Original post by panda1093

Its talking about the rate of creatinine being cleared from the blood. This is in mass per unit time. Creatinine is the primary indicator of renal clearance, which is volume per unit time.

Original post by ameelia22
Medicine Fresher '14 / stalker but just thought I could give a hand from my basic knowledge of a-level chemistry:

5 grams = 5 millitres
100 grams = 100 millilitres
1000 grams (1kg) = 1000 Litres (1 L)

the conversion of grams : millilitres is 1:1
or in your case grams : litres is 1 : 0.001

so you can sort of use them interchangeably?

Not quite. Its the mass of creatinine, not the mass of water. Plus it wouldn't be water anyway - blood is heavier (marginally, but enough to make a difference here).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Its talking about the rate of creatinine being cleared from the blood. This is in mass per unit time. Creatinine is the primary indicator of renal clearance, which is volume per unit time.

Not quite. Its the mass of creatinine, not the mass of water. Plus it wouldn't be water anyway - blood is heavier (marginally, but enough to make a difference here).

Ah crap. Sorry, i'll go back to my stalker corner.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
You confuse me everytime I see you, I keep thinking it's RK with that icon :lol:

Just thought I'd share that :colonhash:

Umm.. Who's RK? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Umm.. Who's RK? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's one of the staff at TSR - was one of the first mods back in the day - husband of randdom and expectant father to a TSR baby. :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
First year, complete. :banana:
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss not on the resit list! Either means I'm all done, or I've ballsed up everything. Damn it better be the former.
Original post by Mushi_master
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss not on the resit list! Either means I'm all done, or I've ballsed up everything. Damn it better be the former.

Congrats!! :awesome:
Somehow managed to pass first year!! :biggrin:

Main thing I've learnt is that apparently I do really well on our written assignments when I start them dangerously close to deadline and pull an all-nighter to finish them. Always a pleasant surprise, but not great motivation to kick my procrastination habit next year... :colondollar:
Original post by Mushi_master

PRSOM! Mega congrats :biggrin:
Just sat my last and pretty much only exam of first year.

I don't even sit my first exam until end of July. :frown:
Original post by Beska
I don't even sit my first exam until end of July. :frown:

Damn I thought I was hard done to finishing on June 27th

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending