The Student Room Group

Losing passion for my chosen subject, feel like a change of direction, too late?

I'm in my final year of a CS degree from a Russell Group university, and on track for a first. However, I feel like a change of direction now, and as much as I love using technology, from what I've learned about the IT industry (particularly Software Engineering) I'm not sure it is something I can see myself working in and enjoyed in until retirement.

My question: are there any options that would allow for me to change direction?

A second BSc seems impossible as student finance only covers 4 years max, and I have no savings.

A masters seems impossible also as it usually requires a BSc in a relevant field. (also, lots of money unless you can somehow find funding).

Am I trapped now into the world of IT due to a choice I made when I was like 16?

If I were to come into a some of money I would probably want to change direction into either doing engineering or chemistry/pharmacology.
(edited 10 years ago)
How long have you felt like you've been losing interest in the subject? I'd just stick it out to the end. If you haven't been disliking CS for long, you could find a decent break would help things. It might be burnout rather than a dislike of the subject.
Reply 2
Original post by RipperRoo
Mainly since the start of this academic year.

I'm not even sure it's the subject I'm growing tired though, more reluctance to even start applying for jobs within the industry.

For example, the somewhat common requirement of doing whiteboard coding exercises at interview, that is anything but a good indication of how effective someone at programming is.

The fact you're required to know 8+ different technologies to a high degree, in some circumstances requiring you to have x years professional experience in a particular field that hasn't even been out for the specified duration (i.e. they have terrible HR departments).

The fact I'm now expected to have a GitHub repository full of OSS contributions and personal projects hosted to show my passion.

I'd be happy to go through all of this if it meant a high salary, but the wages are nowhere near good enough to justify it. You should see how much our IT sector US counterparts get paid in comparison.

Maybe I should just try and start my own business or something, because this bull**** does not appeal to me at all. (although I imagine this just brings in its own whole load of bull**** to go with it also)

Oh well. There's always suicide (and I wish I was joking)

So those are a couple of reasons I feel like changing direction, but I guess it's safe to assume that all industries have their own swathes of **** that go with them.

Sorry to sound so bitter. I'm just pretty depressed thinking that I may have made a terrible life decision to go into an industry that really isn't for me, which is now too late to reverse.

Well what do you want to be when you grow up?

Believe me chemistry/engineering at degree level would have killed your interest in those subjects to (or at least it did for me).

Most grad schemes don't need a specific degree. Self employment is good but you need something you want to do.

Meh worse things happen at sea (at least back int he day they did).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending