The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships or a degree? Is uni just not meant for some people

Im currently doing an accounting and finance degree and its ok i guess on track for at least a 2:1.
However I've always been someone who learns more from a hands on approach rather than reading, exams etc.

So my question is "Can apprenticeships be more beneficial than a degree and give someone quicker access into getting a job or will a degree always surpass an apprenticeships especially in the long run through higher earnings?"

Wondering if university is really for me and if I should look for an apprenticeship in a finance sector as thats what I'm interested in.
Your degree will provide you with an academic base that you can then apply to practical applications more efficiently. You probably wouldn't have the same mindset if you went straight into work, and may lack level of knowledge. Most people I've met in finance and engineering say that what you'd learn in a degree will take approx 15years to learn in an apprenticeship... If you're on track for 2:1 than you may as well finish it off?
Reply 2
Original post by Mr.Obsessed
Your degree will provide you with an academic base that you can then apply to practical applications more efficiently. You probably wouldn't have the same mindset if you went straight into work, and may lack level of knowledge. Most people I've met in finance and engineering say that what you'd learn in a degree will take approx 15years to learn in an apprenticeship... If you're on track for 2:1 than you may as well finish it off?

From some I've read about companies get you to finish qualifications while you're training with them too. Surely getting a qualification like ACCA while working for a company gives you some sort of knowledge as well?
My Mum told me about a guy who works in her building who has no degree and is working for her company as well as finishing his ACCA qualification.
I'm still going to finish my degree as I'm already halfway through my second year but its just something playing on my mind.
Original post by Xenonz
From some I've read about companies get you to finish qualifications while you're training with them too. Surely getting a qualification like ACCA while working for a company gives you some sort of knowledge as well?
My Mum told me about a guy who works in her building who has no degree and is working for her company as well as finishing his ACCA qualification.
I'm still going to finish my degree as I'm already halfway through my second year but its just something playing on my mind.

ACCA is a degree people do alongside another degree. You won't get a qualification that's academically challenging tbh, but it's not a bad option either. It's relaxed and you'll have that job for ages (hopefully).
Reply 4
Original post by Mr.Obsessed
ACCA is a degree people do alongside another degree. You won't get a qualification that's academically challenging tbh, but it's not a bad option either. It's relaxed and you'll have that job for ages (hopefully).

The ACCA is quite technically challenging. If you're already halfway through an uni, stick it out, get your exemptions and get a training contract to get your finance qualification and work experience. You'll have that in the bag to fall back on.

It's tough work, but there are so many opportunities that come out of accounting - going into all different areas of business as your finance skills are so valued. In my company alone, finance people have gone into Procurement, Charities, Treasury, contract management, project management... The list is endless. Why limit yourself to something you haven't tried?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending