The Student Room Group

Help! The thought of a gap year is making me depressed

I graduated from high school not too long ago (I'm australian) I got accepted into my first preference at at university that I really like. However my parents are making me take a gap year (long story). My course allowes me to take a year off and still have a place for next year. Anyway all my friends are getting ready to leave for uni, some have already left. The thought of taking a gap year is making me depressed. I will be working at a boring store while all my mates are progressing in life at uni. I play football (soccer) which starts tomorrow!! However work and soccer aren't enough to occupy me over my gap year. I'm getting depressed thinking about how lonely and bored I will be this year! Some advice would be great :smile:
Reply 1
Why not work abroad say camp america you could go travelling or volunter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by lovepeace

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking about travelling to Europe and also going to See my beloved liverpool play at anfield. I gotta work and save a bit for that to happen though
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm only 17 working or volunteering by myself abroad would be challenging that would make my situation worse.
Reply 4
Original post by mrcoollfc
I'm only 17 working or volunteering by myself abroad would be challenging that would make my situation worse.

Why not see about doing a mission trip where its not just you but other people there as well why not volunter at projects in your area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Why not see about doing a mission trip where its not just you but other people there as well why not volunter at projects in your area

Posted from TSR Mobile

So far I haven't found anywhere here where they need people to help out! Anyway I will keep looking! Hopefully I will get to travel to around Europe in the next few months. It's going to be a long year :frown: god help me
Reply 6
Gap years are amazing. Don't worry too much about everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I graduated from high school not too long ago (I'm australian) I got accepted into my first preference at at university that I really like. However my parents are making me take a gap year (long story). My course allowes me to take a year off and still have a place for next year. Anyway all my friends are getting ready to leave for uni, some have already left. The thought of taking a gap year is making me depressed. I will be working at a boring store while all my mates are progressing in life at uni. I play football (soccer) which starts tomorrow!! However work and soccer aren't enough to occupy me over my gap year. I'm getting depressed thinking about how lonely and bored I will be this year! Some advice would be great :smile:

Hello! Why not make your gap year useful and learn something new. Try and find out if there is anything that you always wanted to learn but did not the time to do it. An instrument, a course or some community service.
Reply 8
So far I haven't found anywhere here where they need people to help out! Anyway I will keep looking! Hopefully I will get to travel to around Europe in the next few months. It's going to be a long year :frown: god help me

You live in Australia right? Do some environmental volunteering, there are some many charities based your way that need help with that sort of thing!
How about trying to get some work experience related to your course/career ideas? Maybe volunteer at a youth group or environmental project or something? Pick up another sport or hobby you enjoy and set yourself targets? Start something creative as an outlet like painting, pottery, sewing, drawing or jewellery making?

Quick Reply

Latest