The Student Room Group

YR 9 GCSE Option help

Hi I'm choosing my GCSE options soon and can't decide what to pick. For my core subjects I'm doing
Maths
English Lit
English Lang
Triple science

For my options:
1. French
2. History
3. Geography

My fourth option is between RS, Computing, Business Studies and Music (big choice I know).

The only reason I'm unsure about business studies is that some universities don't accept it? Also, I'm worried about the workload of Music - if I'm grade 5 by then (I'm grade 3 now) would I be able to deal with it?

Would anyone recommend / not recommend any of the above subjects & why?

Thanks,
Reply 1
Music is honestly fine. I do it (Edexcel) and the workload is perfectly OK. To be honest, go for whatever interests you the most- these choices don't really affect the rest of your life, and universities don't really care about GCSEs anyway, as long as you have a good set of grades.

I'd do Music - a nice light option to contrast with the dryness of History.
Reply 2
Original post by danconway

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't do music but i agree
J
Original post by danconway
Music is honestly fine. I do it (Edexcel) and the workload is perfectly OK. To be honest, go for whatever interests you the most- these choices don't really affect the rest of your life, and universities don't really care about GCSEs anyway, as long as you have a good set of grades.

I agree, go with your gut feeling on which you think you would enjoy the most. I took business as my free option, absolutely love it and I'm taking it at a level
Reply 4
I picked music in yr 9, I was grade 3 rockschool at the time, and I'm now doing rockschool 6 halfway through yr ten and abrsm 3 when I hadn't even started at the time, I haven't felt it's too much pressure at any point! :smile:
Also, to, what instrument do you play?
Reply 5
Your already choosing 3 hard and respected subjects so it shouldn't really matter if you pick business
Computing might be useful
But if you want to could take music as a fun subject:smile:
Reply 6
I'm doing RS and Business, I would go for RS out of those as it is really interesting and the ethics is great (ocr), If you are even slightly academic (it sounds like you are) don't go for business, it is okay but honestly so boring and it is so simple that they make you feel stupid still if you are looking for an easier option to balance out your workload go for it but otherwise don't bother!
Also another thing to consider is coursework vs exam if you are better at coursework and terrible at exams don't do RS it is 100% exam
Reply 7
I would say computing all the way, even if it is just a GCSE it will make you look far better and more employable than those who don't have it in the increasingly computerised world
If you want to do something in music or you really enjoy it, do music.
Otherwise I'd say business, I know loads of people who took GCSE business and loved it, ended up with pretty much full marks and a few are doing it at A Level
Most uni's don't really care about GCSEs as long as you have good A Levels :smile:
Do music - I took OCR GCSE Music and even though it's challenging (especially the listening paper), it explores your creative, musical side (not that I had such a side, but I still chose it over RS and DT anyway) For OCR Music, you'll do four controlled assessments - one solo and one ensemble performance, both of which you need to record in controlled conditions and two compositions, which again you have to produce a score of some sort and a recording each. And then there's a 45 min creative task exam. If you're Grade 5 Standard by then, you'll be perfectly fine - I did my Music GCSE when I was doing Grade 5 instrument :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
universities wouldn't discount business gcse, but they may however regard it as lower for a level. out of the four, rs is thought of as the most respected id say. i do rs and i love it, its great for debating etc and also requires a fair bit of general knowledge so isn't too difficult. however if you wouldn't want to do three humanities id say pick business.
Original post by Jaos855
The only reason I'm unsure about business studies is that some universities don't accept it?

No offence, someone definitely lied to you. :lol:
Hello Jaos855,

I am currently studying GCSE's and these are the options I picked:
+ Computing
+ Spanish
+ Religious Studies
+ Statistics

I tried to choose a good range of subjects from a good range of categories. What I mean by categories are subject groups such as the humanities which would include subjects such as Religious Studies, History, Geography and even languages such as French, Spanish or German (these are the most common modern foreign languages taught in schools.)

When I was in this situation which was about a year ago since I am in Year 10, I went for subjects that I not only was good at but enjoyed also. I definitely like subjects that involve logic and require thinking and analysis since I'm a bit of a boring person! So you should definitely choose subjects that you have a genuine interest in and not only what you are good at.

Secondly, you should try to choose something that will help you in the future, if this is possible. For instance, I would like to be a lecturer in an University where I would teach Chemistry or Mathematics, depending on which I prefer by the end of GCSE's. If you do not have a dream job in mind right now, my next tip is be open with your subjects.

If you really cannot think of which one to choose, see what your friends are taking, think about what jobs they want to do when they're older, research these jobs and see if any of them fascinate you, and if they do, choose the correct subjects.

Sorry for such a long response but I know that it is hard when you are trying to choose what may alter your future forever.

Don't worry about the GCSE's, considering you are taking triple Science, you must be smart!

I hope this helps,
- mossysilver
Reply 13
computing!!! I had to take RS as it was compulsory and so far it is just this: "Some christians think..., while other christians think.., i think that..." just pointless stuff really. business studies is a good choice too and music is only good if you are at least grade 3/4. u have to compose music pieces i think.
Reply 14
Hi guys,
Sorry for the late reply - I went with computing in the end. It was between that and RS; I could've gone with either really. Thanks, it was really useful having a second opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I reccomend music.
I do Music at the moment and there isn't that much of a work load compared to other subjects.
If you enjoy playing your instrument then practise shouldn't be a problem, and frankly that's probably the only part of music that'll take up your time.
In my school RS is a core subject. (assuming that you mean Religious Studies)
I picked:
1. French
2. History
3. Drama
4. Statistics

Music was actually an extra, and I make time to fit it in.
But obviously everyone is different.
Pick something that won't interfere with your other subjects and you think you'll be able to do well easily in :h:
Reply 16
If you're good enough that you feel a qualification is worthy then do Music.

If not, do Business Studies. RS and Computing are the softest of the GCSE options. Business Studies will give you an extra edge because you can't take Economics GCSE.

To be fair, they don't really matter as long as you're doing the English, Maths and Sciences.
Religious Studies in compulsory at my school but it's the easiest GCSE to do. I'd recommend RS or Computing personally.

Quick Reply

Latest