The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Creative Writing @ Sheffield Hallam 2014

I'm curious to see if there are any other people on here that are doing this course in September :smile:
Hey, I'm doing it September :smile:) xx
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Great! Do you think it will be a small class? I figure creative writing isn't something most people apply for haha
I went to the open day today and they said it was like a class of 30 or something. xx
Original post by mynam3
I'm curious to see if there are any other people on here that are doing this course in September :smile:

Original post by Sarasaurus92
Hey, I'm doing it September :smile:) xx

Have y'all written anything fictional recently? Have you tackled a full length novel? (i think that's defined as +40,000 words)
Reply 5
Original post by Just OBSEEN
Have y'all written anything fictional recently? Have you tackled a full length novel? (i think that's defined as +40,000 words)

Hey :smile:

I'm more of a short story/poetry kind of girl as opposed to full novel. I don't possess such patience at this moment haha. Maybe in the future though!

How about yourself?
Reply 6
I went to the open day today and they said it was like a class of 30 or something. xx

Oh cool! I'm going to the one next month :smile:
Original post by mynam3
Hey :smile:

I'm more of a short story/poetry kind of girl as opposed to full novel. I don't possess such patience at this moment haha. Maybe in the future though!

How about yourself?

Haha yeah my patience is absolutely terrible. Yeah I have, finished a 52,500 word story after 4 years of on and off self induced torture. Thought I was making life easier for myself by writing 'spontaneously', what a mistake that was. It's probably why it took so long, because my brainpower was unable to keep up

I eventually slapped myself in the face before writing a plan, which definitely made an impact. I think the last 8,000 words were smashed out in 2 days.

But yeah, I strongly recommend giving it a go, such a great feeling when you type in the last paragraph.
Take as long as you need to plan it out as well, make everything clear, cos you'll thank yourself on the nights when you're on fire and you clear 5000 words in one go. Good luck!
Reply 8
Haha yeah my patience is absolutely terrible. Yeah I have, finished a 52,500 word story after 4 years of on and off self induced torture. Thought I was making life easier for myself by writing 'spontaneously', what a mistake that was. It's probably why it took so long, because my brainpower was unable to keep up

I eventually slapped myself in the face before writing a plan, which definitely made an impact. I think the last 8,000 words were smashed out in 2 days.

But yeah, I strongly recommend giving it a go, such a great feeling when you type in the last paragraph.
Take as long as you need to plan it out as well, make everything clear, cos you'll thank yourself on the nights when you're on fire and you clear 5000 words in one go. Good luck!

Wow! Congrats!
I've attempted full length stories before but I get to around 12,500 words and decide it's not for me haha. I prefer writing short, emotive pieces as I just get bored with the build up and necessary filler chapters that lead up to such scenes. Probably something I should work on haha.

Are you on this course currently or attending next year too?
Original post by mynam3
Are you on this course currently or attending next year too?

Nah I'm not, starting to wish i was though =[ didn't realize creative writing courses exist in this form.

Original post by mynam3
Wow! Congrats!
I've attempted full length stories before but I get to around 12,500 words and decide it's not for me haha. I prefer writing short, emotive pieces as I just get bored with the build up and necessary filler chapters that lead up to such scenes. Probably something I should work on haha.

Yeah I can empathize with you on that, I winged my current story up to around 21000 til I came to a standstill.

Well what kinda genre are you writing? Maybe you could try reading through the book you started? You'll find it more enjoyable than you remember and it might inspire you to keep going.

Creating characters with depth to their personality (small things like are they awkward, aggressive, energetic, ignorant, unfortunate, passive etc) has helped me in wanting to continue writing, as you kinda fall in love with the general persona of the character that you've created.

Adding quirks like do they have a fondness of wildlife, a reluctance to exercise, a habit of talking to random people, a pet fish who always stares at them, an unfulfilled desire to grow a beard, etcetc. Stuff like that is what I personally think makes a story much more than just a commentary of events.

I've done one or two short stories, but tbh i don't know much about the literature market, like where are the best places to show your work? I wouldn't know where to start
Reply 10
Nah I'm not, starting to wish i was though =[ didn't realize creative writing courses exist in this form.

Yeah I can empathize with you on that, I winged my current story up to around 21000 til I came to a standstill.

Well what kinda genre are you writing? Maybe you could try reading through the book you started? You'll find it more enjoyable than you remember and it might inspire you to keep going.

Creating characters with depth to their personality (small things like are they awkward, aggressive, energetic, ignorant, unfortunate, passive etc) has helped me in wanting to continue writing, as you kinda fall in love with the general persona of the character that you've created.

Adding quirks like do they have a fondness of wildlife, a reluctance to exercise, a habit of talking to random people, a pet fish who always stares at them, an unfulfilled desire to grow a beard, etcetc. Stuff like that is what I personally think makes a story much more than just a commentary of events.

I've done one or two short stories, but tbh i don't know much about the literature market, like where are the best places to show your work? I wouldn't know where to start

this is the most info i can offer lol

http://24.media.tumblr.com/0f6acb0a572fc4ea7dcba2044c447e91/tumblr_mxq9c4Knq71s1buyfo1_1280.jpg
Original post by mynam3
Oh cool! I'm going to the one next month :smile:

It's really good. I'm glad I went.

Have y'all written anything fictional recently? Have you tackled a full length novel? (i think
that's defined as +40,000 words)

I prefer to write novels but I have yet to finish one haha. I'm currently in the middle of writing one.
I prefer to write novels but I have yet to finish one haha. I'm currently in the middle of writing one.

Likewise, a fantasy combat type story. I started it about 2 years ago, only up to 21,000 words in. I finally admitted I need a written plan, feels so much better now that I've got it all laid out.

Keep going with it!! Do you have much left to write?
Likewise, a fantasy combat type story. I started it about 2 years ago, only up to 21,000 words in. I finally admitted I need a written plan, feels so much better now that I've got it all laid out.

Keep going with it!! Do you have much left to write?

I'm about 18000 words in. I started it about 2 years ago. My main character travels around the UK and I wanted it the be as authentic as possible, so I'm at a standstill until I go to the places she goes, and I decided to rewrite some of the chapters lol. xx
(edited 10 years ago)
A tad late I know, given that we'll probably be meeting regardless in about 3, maybe 4, weeks but Hello!
I am on the creative writing course too and thoroughly looking forward to it and to meeting everyone else doing the course :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending