The Student Room Group

How useful have you found LinkedIn?

Hey

I have only just started using LinkedIn, having created my profile this week.

I want to use it as a way to connect with people and brands within certain industries, and to showcase my experience.

Not very, mainly as a way to see where all of my coursemates are working at now, although I don't have an up to date profile.

Quite a few of my coursemates quite regularly get contacted from recruiters via LinkedIn, though, so it's definitely useful if you keep it up to date. In fact even my old out-of-date profile got a hit once.
Very. I've been offered 2 jobs via LinkedIn but as I want to become a teacher then I've declined both of them. If you put the effort into using it then you'll get noticed and meet people interested in hiring you or knowing you because of your interests.
Reply 3
Original post by Dee Leigh
Hey

I want to use it as a way to connect with people and brands within certain industries, and to showcase my experience.

Isn't just like Facebook?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY
Isn't just like Facebook?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
Very. I've been offered 2 jobs via LinkedIn but as I want to become a teacher then I've declined both of them. If you put the effort into using it then you'll get noticed and meet people interested in hiring you or knowing you because of your interests.

Nice what were both jobs they offered you? How can you make yourself stand out on linkedin?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Nice what were both jobs they offered you? How can you make yourself stand out on linkedin?

One at a fairly reputable firm (declined due to relocation issues and wanting to pursue a different career) and another was at a web design agency. Both of them got in contact with me through LinkedIn because of my profile, portfolio and endorsements.

The best way to make yourself stand out is to get rid of Facebook where you're just going to waste hours and spend that time on adding things to your LinkedIn account. I found myself in the end knocking up good websites in a couple to a few hours boosting my portfolio massively.

This also looks better on you as you're being proactive and self driven rather than just doing work because you've been assigned it. There are so many LinkedIn profiles whereby people only have their university related work on them and to make yourself stand out you've got to do things in your own time too.
For most people of university age, LinkedIn will be of minimal use beyond staying in touch with your friends on a professional basis.

However in certain industries and with a well-written profile, you can be recruited. I know a couple of people who have received interviews and subsequently offers through LinkedIn from actual companies.

I've noticed that my own profile has been viewed several times by recruiters and I've had a couple of messages from them. I haven't pursued any of these though as I'm already employed.

LinkedIn comes into its own a little further down the line, think first move into management, this seems to be what the majority of recruiters and job ads on there seem to be catering for.

It also gives a direct line to some pretty high ranking people if you're into that kind of moonshot networking (think the corporate version of tweeting to celebrities).
Reply 8
I have a profile there as well, but it has been of no use to me (apart from keeping in touch with some people). I guess it's because I'm still in education, so there is no reason for recruiters to contact me now.
Reply 9
It's good for stalking people you went to school/uni with. Not much use for me, as I want to go into scientific research, but maybe in the future. I've heard of people getting jobs through it, but it mostly seems to be marketing and IT-related jobs, it seems.

It doesn't hurt to have a good profile set up so that employers have something to look at if they happen to Google you.
Reply 10
Linkedin hasn't been useful to me, maybe because I don't have magic to make my profile stand out and am just another boring grey mouse in the planet.
Bump
I've gotten messages to see if I'd be interested in a couple of jobs and then to apply for them. I've only applied for one, got to the first interview stage and that was it. Hiring managers may look on LinkedIn for new people so its worth having a profile.
Original post by Dee Leigh
Hey

I got a temporary job offer through LinkedIn. Some time after I finished they then made me a permanent job offer, again through LinkedIn.

That's not overly common, though. The main thing I found it useful for in the beginning was spotting where the holes were in my CV, thanks to all the pre-set categories for your various bits of background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending