The Student Room Group

After school activities

People say after school activities will help a lot and will look good on your CV but I haven't done any and I'm 13 (year 9) do you think is too late to do any after school activities and does it really matter if I don't? A reply will be much appreciated thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 1
It's definitely not too late to start!
If you're planning to apply for University, you'll write your Personal Statement at the very endof Year 12/start of Year 13 so you have 3 and a half years to do some activities. If you don't want to go to University and will apply for a job straight after school, it's still 2 1/2 years before you can apply to most places, so again, plenty of time.

Don't do a club just because you think it will look good though. You need to have at least some interest in the activity/ies you choose to do, or you'll end up hating it and quitting after a few weeks. It's also not just "I do football club after school" that looks good, it's having positions of responsibility within that - being Captain of the football team, or being a regular player for the school, or organising a club for younger students. This is where liking what you do, and starting it now (as opposed to when you start year 12) is really helpful.
It's never too late to start! Have a look at what your school offers, most schools offer some sport but if that's not your thing you could see if there's anything else. And if your school doesn't offer anything that remotely interests you. you could always join a club outside of school. Doing extra-curricular is useful because it shows you have wider interests and you're a rounded person. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by misimportant
People say after school activities will help a lot and will look good on your CV but I haven't done any and I'm 13 (year 9) do you think is too late to do any after school activities and does it really matter if I don't? A reply will be much appreciated thank you! :biggrin:

Year 9 is a great time to start. What's important about after school activities is not how many you do, but what you learn from them.
Reply 4
It's never to late to start anything if you really want to give it a go, but make sure that if you are going to aim to go to university that you don't do too much as you offer in the end will be mostly based on you grades :smile: the after school club would be a great talking point though, and if you went for a job the club would be good for writing down what you have learnt from being a part of it. Make sure you pick something you are wanting to do as there is no point in doing something you don't enjoy :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Katie_p
It's definitely not too late to start!
If you're planning to apply for University, you'll write your Personal Statement at the very endof Year 12/start of Year 13 so you have 3 and a half years to do some activities. If you don't want to go to University and will apply for a job straight after school, it's still 2 1/2 years before you can apply to most places, so again, plenty of time.

Don't do a club just because you think it will look good though. You need to have at least some interest in the activity/ies you choose to do, or you'll end up hating it and quitting after a few weeks. It's also not just "I do football club after school" that looks good, it's having positions of responsibility within that - being Captain of the football team, or being a regular player for the school, or organising a club for younger students. This is where liking what you do, and starting it now (as opposed to when you start year 12) is really helpful.

Thanks I will try to get into a club!:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by TheDaylighter
It's never too late to start! Have a look at what your school offers, most schools offer some sport but if that's not your thing you could see if there's anything else. And if your school doesn't offer anything that remotely interests you. you could always join a club outside of school. Doing extra-curricular is useful because it shows you have wider interests and you're a rounded person. Good luck! :smile:

Yeah my school clubs have already started and I don't think I will be allowed to join now but I will have a look at clubs after school then!:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lokiofasgard
Year 9 is a great time to start. What's important about after school activities is not how many you do, but what you learn from them.

Thank you I didn't know that! I thought it was how many you do! Thank you very much!
Reply 8
Original post by Sparky:)
It's never to late to start anything if you really want to give it a go, but make sure that if you are going to aim to go to university that you don't do too much as you offer in the end will be mostly based on you grades :smile: the after school club would be a great talking point though, and if you went for a job the club would be good for writing down what you have learnt from being a part of it. Make sure you pick something you are wanting to do as there is no point in doing something you don't enjoy :smile:

Thank you! When I'm older I'm aiming for top universities so I hope I get high grades so I can get there and I heard that after school clubs really influence their decision on whether to pick you or not as well as your grades do :smile:
Original post by misimportant
Thank you I didn't know that! I thought it was how many you do! Thank you very much!

You're welcome :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest