The Student Room Group

2 Months until exams and worried

I have my exams in may/june which is 2 months away now and i haven't started studying yet. I know most of my curriculum but nothing in depth, I'm an above average student aswell im just really badly freaking out that i don't have enough time to learn everything in a lot of depth so that when it comes to the exams i come out with atleast 6a*'s or maybe more, because i really want to go into medicine when i'm older. Is it too late to get the grades i really want? Also i have 64 topics in total throughout my whole curriculum and only 70 days until my exams... Any help will be greatly appreciated :smile:
Hey! Looks like I'm in the same boat as you :frown: I too want to go into medicine and and am predicted 8 A*s this year. Right now, my school isn't very supportive in getting anything but a pass grade, we haven't even gotten half way through Biology, but I made sure that I self-taught during the summer holidays last year (Yes I am a 'no life' lol).

It’s definitely clear that there is not a huge amount of time left at all, but here are my methods of revision which help me to get it in done in depth and quickly:

1) Use the specification religiously: If you don’t know what it is, it is a document that your exam board will publish with all the information you must know for the 2014 exams. The rule is, if it’s not on your specification, don’t bother
2) Make notes using your textbook and specification together in a notebook
3) Now, that the content is done, do all the past papers you can access, every single one!
4) Mark all of the past papers and identify areas where you are struggling and go online, ask a smart friend or teacher to explain. Keep in mind that you should never worry about annoying your teacher by asking them to repeat things if you don’t understand, because in the end, it’s what the teacher is getting paid for.

I know that all of that information seems like a long process, but trust me, if you work in your lunch times as well as after school, you will get a year’s worth of curriculum covered in 3 days if youre fast and max. 5 if you’re a slow learner.

It seems like too much to fit into seventy days, but it's only a psychological thing: If you try to look at it from a different perspective i.e. make targets for the week, you will find that the time wasted from not being able to work efficiently because you are stressed, will decrease significantly.

I'm sure that it is more than possible to finish the subjects in depth with a lot of practice; It will just mean sacrificing a social life and everything else which is unnecessary :smile: You can do it!

PS: What subjects are you taking? That might help a bit when giving advice! And sorry for that being sooooooooo long. Hehe.
Gosh, same here. Medicine, aiming for 11A*s and stressed. Luckily I've started revision, but I'm still pretty freaked D:
Reply 3
Original post by Nerdypants98
Hey! Looks like I'm in the same boat as you :frown: I too want to go into medicine and and am predicted 8 A*s this year. Right now, my school isn't very supportive in getting anything but a pass grade, we haven't even gotten half way through Biology, but I made sure that I self-taught during the summer holidays last year (Yes I am a 'no life' lol).

It’s definitely clear that there is not a huge amount of time left at all, but here are my methods of revision which help me to get it in done in depth and quickly:

1) Use the specification religiously: If you don’t know what it is, it is a document that your exam board will publish with all the information you must know for the 2014 exams. The rule is, if it’s not on your specification, don’t bother
3) Now, that the content is done, do all the past papers you can access, every single one!
4) Mark all of the past papers and identify areas where you are struggling and go online, ask a smart friend or teacher to explain. Keep in mind that you should never worry about annoying your teacher by asking them to repeat things if you don’t understand, because in the end, it’s what the teacher is getting paid for.

I know that all of that information seems like a long process, but trust me, if you work in your lunch times as well as after school, you will get a year’s worth of curriculum covered in 3 days if youre fast and max. 5 if you’re a slow learner.

It seems like too much to fit into seventy days, but it's only a psychological thing: If you try to look at it from a different perspective i.e. make targets for the week, you will find that the time wasted from not being able to work efficiently because you are stressed, will decrease significantly.

I'm sure that it is more than possible to finish the subjects in depth with a lot of practice; It will just mean sacrificing a social life and everything else which is unnecessary :smile: You can do it!

PS: What subjects are you taking? That might help a bit when giving advice! And sorry for that being sooooooooo long. Hehe.

Wow thanks i really appreciate that, but you said about keeping targets for a week, well considering i only have 9 weeks until my actual exams start what should my targets be?

I'm taking the following:
Biology –A*
Chemistry –A*
Physics A*
Maths A *
Statistics -A
RS short course A*
PE -A
Business - A
Geography –A*
English Language A
English Literature A*

The grades next to the subject is what i really want to achieve, however i wouldn't mind getting B's in PE/Business and an A in RS either
Original post by suzylemonade
Gosh, same here. Medicine, aiming for 11A*s and stressed. Luckily I've started revision, but I'm still pretty freaked D:

The stress of wanting to be a future medic :redface: ! How do you revise?
Reply 5

When did you start revision and how much have you covered?
literally on the same boat, except i'm not interested in doing medicine (even though my parents want me to.) I've started to make notes but i'm afraid I might not have enough time to learn it all, the only reason I didn't start earlier was because I had all these controlled assessments
The stress of wanting to be a future medic :redface: ! How do you revise?

Ha, yeah :tongue:
I mostly make notes and repeat things to myself. Sometimes I'll draw out diagrams a d repeat the steps. My method of revision is essentially repetition and then doing the questions on each page. How about you?

Original post by Harris.A03
When did you start revision and how much have you covered?

I started in February half term. However, I'm confident that I know all that we've been taught so far and I'm self-teaching some bits too :smile:
Reply 8
Lol it feels good knowing I'm not the only one experiencing this :redface:
Reply 9
Ha, yeah :tongue:
I mostly make notes and repeat things to myself. Sometimes I'll draw out diagrams a d repeat the steps. My method of revision is essentially repetition and then doing the questions on each page. How about you?

I started in February half term. However, I'm confident that I know all that we've been taught so far and I'm self-teaching some bits too :smile:

Ah so like 2 weeks ago, any advice on where i should start and how i should continue in order to cover everything properly?
Wow thanks i really appreciate that, but you said about keeping targets for a week, well considering i only have 9 weeks until my actual exams start what should my targets be?

I'm taking the following:
Biology –A*
Chemistry –A*
Physics A*
Maths A *
Statistics -A
RS short course A*
PE -A
Business - A
Geography –A*
English Language A
English Literature A*

The grades next to the subject is what i really want to achieve, however i wouldn't mind getting B's in PE/Business and an A in RS either

Perhaps something like, "By the end of the week I should have at least finished having all my notes for Geography unit 1"

I don't really know to be honest, it depends on who you are, if you are the procrastinative type, goal setting might not be effective because it might put you off if you don't finish. I am the type who procrastinates but I still try and finish the work, I sometimes end up doing it till 1-2am if I have too :biggrin:
Lol it feels good knowing I'm not the only one experiencing this :redface:

Yeah, you're not dw :tongue:

Ah so like 2 weeks ago, any advice on where i should start and how i should continue in order to cover everything properly?

I'd suggest starting with the topics you find hardest. That way, you can make good notes on them revise them and understand them. The easier topics should be done last. But that's just the way I revise :smile:
Reply 12
If you start revising now, you'll be fine. I started revising for the hard exams in late March for my GCSEs, then the others a couple of weeks later (I worked in class too) and only revised a few days before for my RE exams haha.
Make a revision timetable if you like structure, they help me a lot.

are you doing gcse?
Reply 14
Original post by kate3
If you start revising now, you'll be fine. I started revising for the hard exams in late March for my GCSEs, then the others a couple of weeks later (I worked in class too) and only revised a few days before for my RE exams haha.

If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get?
Reply 15
If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get?

I think it might say on my personal page? can't remember exactly, but I think I got 2 Bs (one of them due to that stupid English exam controversy), 2 A*s and 8 As. I was predicted for about 5 A*s though, so maybe start earlier than me to get your predicted grades lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kate3

I too started revision for GCSEs quite late, sometimes even days before the actual exam (not that I would recommend this) but found that doing past papers-especially for subject such as Science and Maths were very useful.
Also making little flash cards with questions on the front and answers on the back helped me out ALOT for the sciences. Other revision techniques I used were teaching topics to a group of friends and quizzing each other, making summary papers for Geography and generally just trying not too stress out too much. :cool:

Hope that helps! It got me through high school and now I'm studying Maths,Chem,Bio and Geography at A-level. If you need anything else send me a message :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 17
Honestly guys, you will surprise yourself come results day!!! You always tend to better in the real thing than mocks. Don't stress and make sure you give yourself some breaks and relaxation time because otherwise you WILL burn out and that will be the cause of a bad grade.

Just make sure you don't procrastinate and really revise properly (Year 13 and once again trying to get out this habit!). Use the methods that work for you and do as many past papers and questions as you can possibly do. Start off doing them with notes and marking them so you can see where you lose marks, and gradually move to doing them without any help. Don't worry if you don't do them in the time the exam is supposed to be because you always write faster.

I do feel sorry for you guys though because my brother and sister are Y11 and my brother has 23 exams!!!! I had modulars and did about 10 in Y10 and 11 in Y11 so I personally think you have it harder (and wouldn't be surprised if boundaries are lowered as results are likely to go down on average because of them all being linear exams!).

Good luck!
Original post by TheGameOfScience
are you doing gcse?

Yup but I did a couple early :smile: and have taken the advice from older friends.
Yup but I did a couple early :smile: and have taken the advice from older friends.

ahhh, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest