The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JackTeh96
In terms of UMS, do you look at the highest three? or the highest four? or the most relevant ones? I am doing biology, chemistry, physics, math, further math, critical thinking and chinese. Which ones are you looking at in terms of UMS?

For Medicine and other science subjects, the SUMS on the spreadsheet is calculated on the basis of the best three Sciences but we have your best four average as well. In the list you have there, we would not take into account critical thinking or Chinese and would pay most attention to your Chemistry, Biology and Maths (which is combined with your FM into one Maths average).
Original post by ARBsw
Hello, and thank you in advance.

I'm an A level student and have been at a London state school since Year 7, my GCSEs were 6A*s and 6As, which is quite far above my school's average.

However last year while doing my AS levels I experienced some personal problems which contributed to me ending up with BBBC in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths respectively.

Since then I have changed track a little and am currently studying for AS Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Spanish. If I do manage to get very good grades this year, could I still be considered a competitive applicant or has my 'retake year' put me at a huge disadvantage?

It would obviously be something that we would notice but we appreciate that people do sometimes have bad years in Year 12 if they have picked a combination of subjects that doesn't work for them. Starting again is fine and providing you do well in your 'retake year' then you would still be a competitive candidate.
Original post by jneill
Ok so the better plan may be to do STEP at the same time as A-Levels, and apply to a college more "sympathetic" to gap years. I note that Queens' is unusual in encouraging them "even for maths".

Edited to add: just to clarify, in my original question I meant to say that the candidate would be applying post A-Level having achieved A*A*A.

But thank you for your assistance :smile:

You are welcome and yes, I think that might be a better plan.
Original post by benwalters1996
Thank you for your swift response, would my subject combination for AS and A2 listed in my previous comment be adequate for a competitive application for medicine?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, as long as you do well in them.
Original post by ScienceGeek!
Hi
Do you have any information on Economics? Strangely it's the most competitive course but I'm struggling to find out any information about it.
For example do you know roughly how many foreign applicants there are and how many of them get places? Do you know what the average UMS of a successful economics applicant is etc.
Thanks

I presume you have read the faculty's website, this will tell you a lot about the course. The questions you ask are very specific but information is available. The University's annual statistics publication will tell you that in the 2012 admissions round, the University received 816 non-UK applications for Economics and made 72 offers to such people. This year we received 668 non-UK applications but details haven't been released about who got offers yet.

At Christ's this year we received 21 overseas fees applications for Economics and 9 more from the EU out of a total of 50 applications. We made seven direct offers and one through the Pool. Of those eight, three were UK, two EU and three Overseas.

Over the past four years at Christ's, the successful Economics applicants who have taken AS, have an average of 96.37 per cent in their best three UMS. This is just an average, though, and we have taken people with 91-92 per cent. I expect this is a little higher than the University average for the subject but not much and I don't have information on that I am afraid.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Usually the school sends a record of achievement.

Oh ok, I thought that was the case. Also, would I be able to mention (or would it be appropriate to mention) school grade boundaries? For example in my maths exam I received one mark off full marks but at my school only full marks is considered an A* grade.

Thanks again! This is proving a very helpful thread :smile:
Original post by geodawson
Oh ok, I thought that was the case. Also, would I be able to mention (or would it be appropriate to mention) school grade boundaries? For example in my maths exam I received one mark off full marks but at my school only full marks is considered an A* grade.

Thanks again! This is proving a very helpful thread :smile:

You can mention it in the SAQ but we look at marks as much as grades.
I'm currently an AS student, wishing to apply for Natural Sciences (Bio), doing Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics (with Statistics) and Geography. (Predicted straight A's at AS.)

It is customary in my college to drop a subject and pick up an AS level or an Extended Project Qualification. Since I will have done my EPQ by then for an early entry, and I can't think of a relevant subject to pick up at AS level (for the biological units in the Tripos course), what would be your view on carrying on Geography to A2 along with the other 3 subjects, or would it be better to just do Chem, Bio and Maths instead of all 4?

My maths teacher has suggested I pick up Further Maths; is this of any use in Natural Science course? Also, how does Cambridge view the EPQ?

Thanks
Reply 188
Are early A level entries counted in the most three relevant average for Medicine? I'm doing all sciences and Maths, but the entire Maths A level will be completed this year (in year 12). Or would it just be Biology, Chemistry and Physics in the average?
Original post by MajorRisk
I'm currently an AS student, wishing to apply for Natural Sciences (Bio), doing Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics (with Statistics) and Geography. (Predicted straight A's at AS.)

It is customary in my college to drop a subject and pick up an AS level or an Extended Project Qualification. Since I will have done my EPQ by then for an early entry, and I can't think of a relevant subject to pick up at AS level (for the biological units in the Tripos course), what would be your view on carrying on Geography to A2 along with the other 3 subjects, or would it be better to just do Chem, Bio and Maths instead of all 4?

My maths teacher has suggested I pick up Further Maths; is this of any use in Natural Science course? Also, how does Cambridge view the EPQ?

Thanks

Further Maths would not be of particular relevance to most of the options within the traditional Biological route within Nat Sci (so, at Part IA Mathematical Biology, Physiology of Organisms, Evolution and Behaviour and Biology of Cells) but is very useful for any of the Physics and harder Maths options. It would depend, therefore, on how you would wish to set up your Part IA and, indeed, what other courses you are intending to apply for elsewhere. You won't need Further Maths for any Biology course.

Within Nat Sci, Geography has very limited relevance, though physical geography has some relevance for Earth Sciences if you wanted to do that.

The EPQ is a good thing if you want to do it and have a good project in mind. We do not make any of our offers conditional on EPQs, however.
Original post by a123a
Are early A level entries counted in the most three relevant average for Medicine? I'm doing all sciences and Maths, but the entire Maths A level will be completed this year (in year 12). Or would it just be Biology, Chemistry and Physics in the average?

Early A Levels are included in claculating your average.
Early A Levels are included in claculating your average.

Question from a friend:

He does maths, f.maths, biology and chemistry.

He'll complete maths this year, but wants to drop biology and pick up Physics AS so next year he'd be doing Chem and FM A2 and Physics AS. Possibly an epq too

Is this acceptable or does he need to stick with bio?

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm planning to apply for physical natural sciences this year. I have a bronze in the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge and I'll be getting my marks back for the BPhO AS Challenge tomorrow - I'm expecting a bronze.

Will these awards be relevant at all if included on my personal statement? I sort of feel that they say 'I'm not as good as 2/3 of people' rather than indicating that I'm actually good in those subjects - I feel like they'd hurt my chances rather than setting a positive impression.

Also, do people with A level Further Maths get preference for physical NatSci courses? I regret not taking it. I know that it's compulsory to take maths in your first year if you don't have further maths, but I don't know what effect it will have on my chances of getting an offer.

And finally, if I were to take a gap year to study more A levels/do a placement/anything else, what would your views be towards that? I've heard that gap years don't look good for science-based subjects because you might forget a lot of what you learned.

Thanks!
Would Physics and Chemistry related work experience/ activities be considered relevant in an application for Maths?
Further Maths would not be of particular relevance to most of the options within the traditional Biological route within Nat Sci (so, at Part IA Mathematical Biology, Physiology of Organisms, Evolution and Behaviour and Biology of Cells) but is very useful for any of the Physics and harder Maths options. It would depend, therefore, on how you would wish to set up your Part IA and, indeed, what other courses you are intending to apply for elsewhere. You won't need Further Maths for any Biology course.

Within Nat Sci, Geography has very limited relevance, though physical geography has some relevance for Earth Sciences if you wanted to do that.

The EPQ is a good thing if you want to do it and have a good project in mind. We do not make any of our offers conditional on EPQs, however.

Thanks for the quick reply,
Mathematical Biology, Physiology of Organisms, Evolution and Behaviour and Biology of Cells are the units that I'd would like to take.
Does that mean AS psychology would be of any relevance to the "Evolution and Behaviour" unit?
If not, 3 solid a level grades (A*A*A) would suffice? (Providing an offer of course)
Reply 195
Hello everyone. Last year I hosted two threads which allowed students to ask any questions they had about the admissions processes at Cambridge. I have now changed colleges from Corpus to Christ's but intend to do the same this year. This, then, is your opportunity to ask an admissions tutor anything about Cambridge. I will be answering questions until Good Friday and then, like last year, will run another thread in early summer and another after the A Level results come out.

I look forward to answering your questions over the coming weeks.

Hi I'm currently in year 12 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at AS level. I will be applying to Cambridge next year to study Engineering. I am considering dropping Chemistry next year and continue with Maths, Further Maths and Physics as my school, (I attend a local comprehensive), strongly recommends a drop a subject at A2. However, I know that many other applicants especially from private schools will not, would this disadvantage me in the Cambridge application process? Also, could you tell me about the interview process for Engineering and how to prepare for them? Thanks
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Question from a friend:

He does maths, f.maths, biology and chemistry.

He'll complete maths this year, but wants to drop biology and pick up Physics AS so next year he'd be doing Chem and FM A2 and Physics AS. Possibly an epq too

Is this acceptable or does he need to stick with bio?

Thanks

You haven't said what your friend wants to do at University so I can't answer that unless I know, sorry.
Original post by JordanL_
I'm planning to apply for physical natural sciences this year. I have a bronze in the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge and I'll be getting my marks back for the BPhO AS Challenge tomorrow - I'm expecting a bronze.

Will these awards be relevant at all if included on my personal statement? I sort of feel that they say 'I'm not as good as 2/3 of people' rather than indicating that I'm actually good in those subjects - I feel like they'd hurt my chances rather than setting a positive impression.

Also, do people with A level Further Maths get preference for physical NatSci courses? I regret not taking it. I know that it's compulsory to take maths in your first year if you don't have further maths, but I don't know what effect it will have on my chances of getting an offer.

And finally, if I were to take a gap year to study more A levels/do a placement/anything else, what would your views be towards that? I've heard that gap years don't look good for science-based subjects because you might forget a lot of what you learned.

Thanks!

Hi there. Well, first of all, you should certainly include your participation in and achievements in the Maths Challenge and Physics Olympiad - participation is evidence of super-curricular exploration which is something that universities are looking for, and a bronze is a fine achievement and not at something that we or any other university would look down on. It will only be a positive.

It is compulsory for all first-year Nat Scis to take Maths of some variety, whether they have done Further Maths or not, indeed whether they have done Maths A Level or not. For those wishing to take mainly Physics options in Natural Sciences, it is more common than not that they will have Further Maths to A2 or at least AS Level. It is not essential, however, for any option within Part IA and so would not be terminal to your application. If you wished to focus more on Chemistry, Earth Sciences or Materials, however, then the lack of FM would not be a problem.

It is less common for scientists to take Gap Years than Humanities students. I wouldn't do a Gap year to take more A Levels, you already have sufficient A Levels in the right subject to apply for and, consequently, do Natural Sciences or any other course. Having said that, it is only Maths (and then only in certain colleges) where directors of studies get nervous about students taking Gap Years.
Original post by ThatPerson
Would Physics and Chemistry related work experience/ activities be considered relevant in an application for Maths?

Not at Cambridge, no. What the Mathematicians at Cambridge care about is how good you are at Maths - beyond that very little interests them!
Original post by MajorRisk
Thanks for the quick reply,
Mathematical Biology, Physiology of Organisms, Evolution and Behaviour and Biology of Cells are the units that I'd would like to take.
Does that mean AS psychology would be of any relevance to the "Evolution and Behaviour" unit?
If not, 3 solid a level grades (A*A*A) would suffice? (Providing an offer of course)

AS Psychology would not be of any practical use for 'Evolution and Behaviour' though that shouldn't put you off taking it if you think you wuld enjoy it. Were you to receive an offer for Natural Sciences, it would be A*A*A in your Science subjects, yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending