The Student Room Group

Should I be doing this? Young guy desperate looking for employment

Hi,

So I am embarrassed to say that I am at a very desperate stage to create a living, as a student, for myself beyond Job Seekers and SLC loans -- I do not want to use gvt money unnecessarily if I am capable of creating some on the side.

I've applied for jobs, filled in lots of applications and so on but still nothing. :frown:

My new idea is to start creating a good testimonial list and a portfolio so that I may earn as a freelancer online. I know the competition is looking tough so that makes it all the more important.

Here is an advert I've posted on Gumtree/Craigslist/Fiverr with no real responses to date. Wow, nobody wants free labour? I actually do have some decent admin/business work experience.

Hello,

I am offering, for a LIMITED time, absolutely free work (depending on availability) in the following areas:

- General Administration
- Database Management and Entry
- Marketing

Please send details of your assignments to discuss your requirements further.

I have only one simple request : If the work that I perform is satisfactory and meets your needs, then I would kindly ask of you to provide a testimonial.

Sounds fair?

I look forward to working for you.
Reply 1
I like it. Very entrepreneurial.

I think it's very brave and considered doing something similar to fill my time before my grad job starts. I would add in some mention of your qualifications though, so that people can see you're not a 17 year old with just a business GCSE. Good luck :smile:
It's a good idea, but I also see why people are wary of it - I see that and think, if this person is going to do a good job, then why hasn't someone else hired them?

But then again, it is absolutely no risk (well, I'd be wary giving any kind of data to someone working for free over the Internet) so I'd probably give it a punt anyway
Reply 3
Fair enough for doing something proactive to help get a job. I think you'll struggle to get anywhere with this though.

As has been said, you don't mention any skills/qualifications/experience you have. Also, I doubt employers will scour gumtree looking for these kinds of services. A largish company would just pay someone and guarentee the right expertise. A very small startup or one person company would probably be looking to do these things themselves.

Good luck though.
Reply 4
I like the idea, but I think you need to go into more detail about what you're able to do. 'Marketing' is a broad field - do you mean that you will do their SEO, run their Social Media accounts, PPC etc? Or will you leaflet for them? What database systems are you familiar with? Yes, companies care about saving money but they don't want to let just anyone loose on their systems and potentially damage their business.
Reply 5
Original post by Gordon1985
Fair enough for doing something proactive to help get a job. I think you'll struggle to get anywhere with this though.

As has been said, you don't mention any skills/qualifications/experience you have. Also, I doubt employers will scour gumtree looking for these kinds of services. A largish company would just pay someone and guarentee the right expertise. A very small startup or one person company would probably be looking to do these things themselves.

Good luck though.

Appreciate the honest feedback.

So what steps do you have in mind that I could take to start building a freelancing portfolio? I've applied for traditional jobs but the competition is tough and I do not have that much work experience just yet, though I am volunteering at this time.

I am very serious about earning money on my own and no longer want to rely on anyone as before - i.e. student loans, job seekers, cash gifts and so forth; it's counterproductive to my financial aims and inhibits me using my skills to provide services.

Should I:

Contact companies directly

Edit my ad further? If so, how?

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Joyful_soul
Appreciate the honest feedback.

So what steps do you have in mind that I could take to start building a freelancing portfolio? I've applied for traditional jobs but the competition is tough and I do not have that much work experience just yet, though I am volunteering at this time.

I am very serious about earning money on my own and no longer want to rely on anyone as before - i.e. student loans, job seekers, cash gifts and so forth; it's counterproductive to my financial aims and inhibits me using my skills to provide services.

Should I:

Contact companies directly

Edit my ad further? If so, how?

Thank you. :smile:

I'd edit the ad a bit to be more specific about what you're offering. I'd also think about exactly what it is you want to do and make a list of the kind of companies that you think might be interested and contact them directly.

Is there any kind of project you could do just as an example of the kind of things you'd offer them?

Maybe even contact local charities etc who're much less likely to turn down a helping hand?

It is tough out there. I know people who've offered free services and been rejected, which can seem particularly tough and disheartening, so if you want to stick out with this, make sure you can handle a fair bit of rejection and frustration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending