The Student Room Group

Grad Job Concerns

Hi guys..

I've recently been offered a graduate job and accepted(still waiting to fill out all the forms).

I'm currently on a 2:2 and unlikely to get a 2:1, however the job is based on a 2:1. I gave them all my results at the assessment centre and I'm clearly not on a 2:1, but still got an offer?!?!

Could they take away my offer if I do get a 2:2 in summer?.. I'm just so confused and worried atm?

Thank you for any responses!
Gonna move this to somewhere where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:
Reply 2
If the job requires a 2:1 and this was advertised when you applied for the scheme, they might well have assumed that you wouldn't have applied for the scheme if you didn't think you could achieve this.

Has you paperwork come through? My job offer states very clearly that it's dependent on a 2:1. If yours does as well then yes, they could definitely take it away if you don't achieve this.

How unachievable is a 2:1? I think you might be best to work as hard as you can towards achieving this as it's going to make things a lot easier for you.
Original post by axyadbad
Hi guys..

I've recently been offered a graduate job and accepted(still waiting to fill out all the forms).

I'm currently on a 2:2 and unlikely to get a 2:1, however the job is based on a 2:1. I gave them all my results at the assessment centre and I'm clearly not on a 2:1, but still got an offer?!?!

Could they take away my offer if I do get a 2:2 in summer?.. I'm just so confused and worried atm?

Thank you for any responses!

Deoends, some may let you off with a 2:2 but some may also revoke your offer.
Reply 4
My forms have now come through, saying a 2:1 minimum. I'm going to have to do VERY well to get a 2:1... I'm just hoping they do accept me. My grades were 2:2 from what they saw so I don't know why they would offer me a place.

Fingers crossed I suppose :/
Reply 5
My forms have now come through, saying a 2:1 minimum. I'm going to have to do VERY well to get a 2:1... I'm just hoping they do accept me. My grades were 2:2 from what they saw so I don't know why they would offer me a place.

It's like a university though... A lot of my friends got unrealistic grade offers from universities. The thing is, the university publicise what the offer is going to be. If you choose to apply there when you know the grades required, then it's a bit silly unless you think you can achieve the grades.

Your employer aren't in a position to assess how likely you are to achieve a 2:1. As I said, they probably would assume you wouldn't apply unless you thought it was achievable.

I have quite a few modules that are at a 2:2, but I'm on for a borderline first at the moment. How do you think the employer would know what grade it's likely for you to achieve? Did they not ask you for your predicted grade?
Reply 6
Well at the time of applying I did think I could achieve this grade, unfortunately exams didn't go as planned, and I'm probably not going to achieve what I need.

When I showed my grades, it included a year average, and just upon inspection it's clear that i was on a 2:2. I have mitigating circumstances for my poor results in a previous year though.

I don't know what to do :/
Well at the time of applying I did think I could achieve this grade, unfortunately exams didn't go as planned, and I'm probably not going to achieve what I need.

When I showed my grades, it included a year average, and just upon inspection it's clear that i was on a 2:2. I have mitigating circumstances for my poor results in a previous year though.

I don't know what to do :/

Not much you can do, just try your hardest to get a 2:1 and start thinking of a contingency plan in case they don't accept you with a 2:2.
Reply 8

You have to remember that some universities calculate final classifications differently too. Mine only count your better half of modules from year two and all of year three. Means you can botch a few as long as you do well in final year.
Reply 9
Original post by Tinsley
You have to remember that some universities calculate final classifications differently too. Mine only count your better half of modules from year two and all of year three. Means you can botch a few as long as you do well in final year.

Absolutely. How would the employer have any idea about the algorithm used to calculate the overall grade....
Reply 10
Original post by alibee
Absolutely. How would the employer have any idea about the algorithm used to calculate the overall grade....

The point is that when I applied for grad schemes all I had was my year two results, of which only half count. If I had a 2:2 average in year two that would most certainly not mean I was headed for a 2:2 overall, far from it. That's why I expect a lot of them don't pay much attention if someone seems to be on a 2:2, because with a whole year of results ahead (at the very least, one semester) things can radically change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending