The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
DOJO
Indeed she did. But the point I am trying to make, is that this great ability will allow her to "pass her exams with good grades" and so will help her in going to a top uni as she is able to cram and get away with it. So from an outsider perspective she will be perceived as highly intelligent as she has an "A in this, an A in that" and is going to so and so uni.

P.S.

I am in no way doubting your intelligence, as I am sure you are very intelligent. I just wonder if you had a bad memory and tried to cram material in the night before like you have done so, how badly your grades will be affected.

I'm completely with you on this. I get good grades because I've got a good memory. GCSEs don't test your intelligence or your capability at all, they are a pure test of memory. A levels require a bit more skill as you need to apply what you've memorised, but even here they're still basically memory tests. Suits me just fine, but I don't think it really reflects a person's intelligence.

Are you one of these magic people who use peg/link/substitution systems of making things stick in your memory the first time you learn them?

You bet :biggrin: While everyone sits reciting sentences they've learnt I sit there going "happy dogs do cheesy niblets", "Emily can't marry Sam", etc etc etc. My memory is quite photographic too though, so if I see something on a page I'll remember where it was, what colour it was in, etc which helps me remember a lot more info with a lot less effort.
Reply 81
squirly
I'm completely with you on this. I get good grades because I've got a good memory. GCSEs don't test your intelligence or your capability at all, they are a pure test of memory. A levels require a bit more skill as you need to apply what you've memorised, but even here they're still basically memory tests. Suits me just fine, but I don't think it really reflects a person's intelligence.

You bet :biggrin: While everyone sits reciting sentences they've learnt I sit there going "happy dogs do cheesy niblets", "Emily can't marry Sam", etc etc etc. My memory is quite photographic too though, so if I see something on a page I'll remember where it was, what colour it was in, etc which helps me remember a lot more info with a lot less effort.

Not all year 11 exams are a test of pure memory. Ever heard of AO2 marks?

Maths is practice & apply;
A substantial element of Physics is applied;
A good proportion of Chemistry is applied;
A good proportion of IT is applied;
A good proportion of Business is applied;
A good proportion of Electronics is applied;
English Language is practice & apply;
English Literature is practice & apply.

And if you're such a photographic genius, why are you going to Sussex?
NViasko

ouuuuuuuuuuuuuu:smile:
NViasko

I see you're at it again my dear :p:
Reply 84
I agree with the person who said GCSEs and A levels are mainly based on memory. I have a great memory (no idea why), i didnt revise for my GCSEs at all, and only revised for chemistry at A level, yet i only have 1 B and the rest A or A*s in all my grades ever. I do think people get annoyed by it when i do so little work...but hey, I cant help it.

However...back on topic...my favourite thing is my imagination i think....it leads to problems sometimes when i drift off in the middle of a conversation in a total daydream about something else, but i wouldnt change me for the world, i love just lieing down for hours and thinking about stuff....so much so that i usually look forward to going to bed in the evening because i just love to dream.....im a weirdo lol.
squirly
Realised that one back in '02 :p: NViasko can say what he likes, but even with application, we simply memorise methods from hours of classtime and homework spent practicing and drumming in the routine of "applying" until it's embedded in memory. :rolleyes:
squirly
So wonderfully effective! Welcome to the genius2b roster. :biggrin:
My height! (and my 36 inch inside leg :wink: )

My adoration of anything scientific. My size 6 feet. You know I rock.
little_red_sox
My height! (and my 36 inch inside leg :wink: )

My adoration of anything scientific. My size 6 feet. You know I rock.

You sound like me... apart from the size 6 feet! I'm so jealous! Why can i be tall and small footed, not tall and big footed!

And science always rocks, especially geology!

Lou
xxx
"It is easier to accept criticism than praise, the same as it is easier to list your faults than your good points." - Author Unknown
Good teeth.

No no...you know what, i'm not gonna be modest. Damn great teeth! :biggrin:
My eyes...and my tiny brain :smile: hehe*, GCSE is alot about memory since for most mine i would day dream in lessons revise the night before and end up with decent grades....quite proud of my Physics GCSE because every physics lesson i would enter the class and stare at something and think about stuff other than physics, write things down like a zombie, when it came to doing questions doodle and then revised the night before and got A* wooohooo...im not usually not modest.
personality: im a nice girl, and i tolerate people for who they are, even the most annoying people and I would never show them that im annoyed even though i wanna runaway, I believe everyone has the right to be themselves. And people who are like bad i believe theres potential for them to be great and theres a little good in everyone that needs to shine through maybe with a little help for some.
Reply 91
frazer_1
.... I have a great memory (no idea why), i didnt revise for my GCSEs at all, and only revised for chemistry at A level, yet i only have 1 B and the rest A or A*s in all my grades ever. I do think people get annoyed by it when i do so little work...but hey, I cant help it......

just so you know, i dislike you about as much as the smilie on the right dislikes the smilie on the left in the following dramatisation.... :toilet:

infact, looking at squirly's grades on her profile, i think i might dislike her more than you, just as well she has a nice pic - for her sake!

:p: lol there was a guy in my year all the way through from primary to A2 exams, nd while i worked my arse off for my continuous straight Bs (with an odd A here and U there), he became a pothead borrowing hundereds of £ to fund it, did f- all work, went to f- all of his lessons, got straight A/A*s and is off to cambridge this year. A*SE

:wink: as long as u 2 dont take the piss like that then i luv ya both really :smile:
Reply 92
Anonymous
Hey, just wondering what you guys most love/appreciate about yourselves. It can be a physical asset or a personality asset.:rolleyes:

For me its, my hips.

my teeth, shoulders, calves, and my sensitive ears...

i also tend to get along with everyone...
(ie. hip hoppers, goths, trendies, etc...)
(no chavs)
My eyes

Latest

Trending

Trending