The Student Room Group

Which is better, Maths or English?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Silver Arrows
A single comma could make the difference between starting a global nuclear war or not. I doubt if I sent a letter asking Putin to solve this differential equation it would stop him invading Crimea & the Ukraine. I'm guessing you're just trying to make a debate out of this, but I really don't have the time or effort for it today :nah:

u wot m8? :rofl:

Do you think a letter in English would stop that crazy bastard?
English! When was the last time you read a mathematic formula that settled you down for the whole day?!
Maths
Reply 23
Original post by Клейтон
English! When was the last time you read a mathematic formula that settled you down for the whole day?!

This morning...
Original post by natninja
This morning...

Whatever. Maths can't compare with books
Original post by Клейтон

Today. Maxwell's equations.

Maths, simple because it teaches you skills that are more important and it is universal.

English is important, but GCSE English doesn't really help with basic communication skills which most people should know anyway, and I still don't see how analyzing poetry can help me in life. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Клейтон
Whatever. Maths can't compare with books

That is your opinion - not an objective truth.
Wow! never expected this much of a touchy response! Look at u all getting worked up, I love it. #Divas
Reply 28
I would say English is more important. If you were to get a job with only GCSE maths and English you are not going to be an accountant unless your family works there. The only useful Maths that you learn at GCSE is percentages. I mean with GCSE maths only, you cannot really do much you need to do A level and degree level maths until you really stand you. English is needed for successful interviews, a good personal statement if you are applying to university it is the creative part of life which is just as important as objective facts.

I would also say that while maths is universal, if you cannot speak the language it is useless it is not like knowing maths = everyone understands each other.
Reply 29
English is more useful.

Still waiting for the day where Algebra becomes useful.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

It is a fundamental tool of Mathematics, which has applications in the vast majority of fields humans have studied.

Nonetheless - although I love Maths and hope to study it at University - I would say language and communication are more important. English as a specific language, not so much, but the act of communicating is far more fundamental to humans than Mathematics is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Maths.
Reply 33
Maths. I'm pretty sure most people could communicate in English before their GCSE's considering this is an English speaking country.
Maths. I love maths.
I just find english really hard even tho I am only in the 2nd set. English is just awful.
Reply 35
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

I don't see the point of Algebra. Doesn't seem at all useful to me.
Reply 36
The number of people who think English is more useful than Maths is worrying...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mathematics is more important.

But English is better.
My A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, English Literature
Highest university offer: Oxford (Maths and Philosophy)
Conclusion: Which are better for you, apples or oranges? Just do both :biggrin:
Original post by StrangeBanana
It is a fundamental tool of Mathematics, which has applications in the vast majority of fields humans have studied.

Nonetheless - although I love Maths and hope to study it at University - I would say language and communication are more important. English as a specific language, not so much, but the act of communicating is far more fundamental to humans than Mathematics is.

Fair enough post. I'll be studying law at uni from September so I guess there is some bias there, nonetheless I'm not taking anything away from mathematics, no one can argue that it isn't important especially in this contemporary world. I was just sort of saying as a joke, because I remember my GCSE maths teachers always banging on about how we'll need algebra one day, so in hindsight I responded with that. :smile:

Original post by KH94
I don't see the point of Algebra. Doesn't seem at all useful to me.

Not yet at least haha! But I don't think it will at all be useful in my future profession.

Quick Reply

Latest