The Student Room Group

Swedish/Foreign student - applying to Oxbridge?

I just graduated from secondary school in Sweden, and the following year I'm going to study English at a private institution in Manchester to increase my language skills.

Although it appears that your grading system and ways of application differ a lot from the Swedish equivalence, good Swedish grades must in somehow matter if you apply?
I graduated with the highest possible grade in all subjects, including all national math, physics, chemistry and biology courses offered in Sweden.

So what I basically wonder is if it's possible to get in to Oxford, Cambridge or Imperial or at least get an interview?

I understand that I need some kind of certificate, like the CAE.

But how do they generally treat foreign applicants? Do we stand a chance of getting in?
I'm intending to study some kind of engineering.

Any information or help would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lots and lots of EU/overseas applicants get in each year, and yes, your qualifications matter.
Contact the university you're thinking of applying to and ask about it, they'll have had Swedish applicants before - they have their own views about foreign qualifications in comparison to A-levels and so on.
Reply 2
lajsen
I just graduated from secondary school in Sweden, and the following year I'm going to study English at a private institution in Manchester to increase my language skills.

Although it appears that your grading system and ways of application differ a lot from the Swedish equivalence, good Swedish grades must in somehow matter if you apply?
I graduated with the highest possible grade in all subjects, including all national math, physics, chemistry and biology courses offered in Sweden.

So what I basically wonder is if it's possible to get in to Oxford, Cambridge or Imperial or at least get an interview?

I understand that I need some kind of certificate, like the CAE.

But how do they generally treat foreign applicants? Do we stand a chance of getting in?
I'm intending to study some kind of engineering.

Any information or help would be appreciated :smile:

You don't generally need an ESOL certificate for Oxford or Cambridge, because you're interviewed and thus the tutors will know what your standard of English is from having met you.
According to <http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/int/eu/quals.shtml>, the minimum grades you need in the Swedish system are 'Fullständigt Slutbetyg with MVG in appropriate subjects', which should probably mean more to you than it does to me!

You'll need to apply via UCAS, and will need to write a personal statement and obtain a reference from your secondary school. You will more likely than not be summoned for interview then, especially if your grades are as good as you say they are.
You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year (so what you really want to do given the circumstances is to choose Oxford :wink: :biggrin: ).

It's certainly possible for international students to be admitted to Oxford (and Cambridge and Imperial), though some people seem to claim that the standard expected of international applicants is somewhat higher. (I don't know if it's true; but it would make sense for them to prefer home students if they're equally capable.)

But of course you won't know if you can get in unless you give it a shot and apply ... :smile:
Reply 3
It's much easier than you think... just contact the Unis you want to apply to and try to get in touch with other people from your country who got in or who want to apply as well.
I'm from Germany and found it all a bit dounting at first, having no idea about what is required from me in terms of qualifications/ English proficiency.
As far as I know most British universities prefer the IELTS test (academic version), because it is designed to test the language skills and vocabulary specifically needed at university. I did the test and if you have any questions just pm me.

You said you achieved the highest grades possible in your exams ... what more could Oxbridge ask for ?!?
Reply 4
Of course its possible to get accepted as an intel... and if you have the highest grades possible, you will probably get an interview, although I dont think Imperial requires interviews...
I myself, will be applying this year and I'm German, so you wont be the only EU applicant, ^^

Hey Di, what kind of offer did you get from Cambridge? It'd be interesting to know since your from Germany as well
Reply 5
*Di*

You said you achieved the highest grades possible in your exams ... what more could Oxbridge ask for ?!?

A good command of the English language, enthusiasm, background knowledge to name but a few :wink:.
Reply 6
The standards expected of international and home students are exactly the same. Statistically less international applicants get in than home students but this is for a variety of reasons, lack of command of english, local examination systems not preparing students in enough depth for oxbridge, lack of interview, lack of understanding and preperation for interviews
Reply 7
I met a Swedish person at interview, so at least one person got an interview from Sweden last year :smile:.
Reply 8
WokSz
A good command of the English language, enthusiasm, background knowledge to name but a few :wink:.

Well, yes, sure :smile: . I didn't mean to say that good grades are all you need. But the thread starter wasn't sure if his/ her qualifications count a lot and here I think he /she should not worry because he /she obviously couldn't have done better and so when it comes to qualifications he/she definitely fulfills Oxbridge standards.

@ pearfire: My Cambridge offer was 1,3 in the Abitur with 14 points in History.
Which subject are you applying for?
Reply 9
Wow!! A 1.3 offer, they gotta really like you. Usually they only give out 1.1-1.2, at least that's what I've heard. You must have really impressed them. Btw, I'm applying for econ&management at Oxford. predicted grades 1.0-1.1, all As in Abitur Subjects. What did you appy for and what were your grades?
Reply 10
Hab' mich doch hierher verirrt, pearfire. :cool: :biggrin:

Where did you get those figures from? I think there was a girl on this board who got an offer for E&M with 14, 14, 13, 12 (in that order :eek: :eek3:) in the Abitur. I'm a bit surprised to hear that Cambridge gives out comparably low offers- a 14 is always tough though.

I'm thinking about reapplying if you're wondering what I'm doing. :p:
Huhu, *wink* hab ich mir schon gedacht, ^^

Well, Cambridge usually does not give out offers like that, so probably they really really really wanted her, so she is probably VERY smart
Reply 12
Or they abandon their policy of only judging applicants by their grades- yes, I know there are also other factors that influence their decision and that there are hundreds of people who didn't get 10A* at GCSEs, but from what I've seen here on TSR, they seem to be obsessed with A*s.

Anyway, congrats on getting in :smile:- making such an offer requires not only talent, but also very very good nerves.
Reply 13
fatboy06
I met a Swedish person at interview, so at least one person got an interview from Sweden last year :smile:.

I didn't get in though... if it is you I met at Christ Church - you got in for music somewhere else in the end though didn't you?
Hope I'm not mistaken here, that'd be a tad awkward.

Anyways, lajsen - any questions, drop me a PM - in Swedish if you wish - it's all the same to me. :tongue:
Reply 14
Such a small world...
Reply 15
6 degrees of separation mate.
Reply 16
pearfire

Well, Cambridge usually does not give out offers like that, so probably they really really really wanted her, so she is probably VERY smart

I'm quite surprised by your reaction ... 1,3 is quite a low offer in fact, especially as my prediction when I applied was 1,0- 1,2. But I've read on many Cam colleges homepages that that is their standard or at least minimum offer. And I've got a leavlet from Oxford that says their minimum offer is 1,5 :eek:. When I went for my interview I met a student from Germany and her offer had been 1,3 and 13 13 13, so obviously it's not too uncommon.

Moreover I don't think I was something like an exceptional candidate or that I was very impressive at interview. Actually I was pooled and got my offer from another college (at least without further interview).

And while 1,3 is relatively low the 14 in History (I applied for History) was tough!
I mean it's not like getting an A at A-Level, but it's one single exam on one single day that counts. There's a lot of luck involved there and I was really scared I wouldn't make it.
I got 15 and 1,0 in the end, but the months before the History exam and the waiting for the results took a lot of nerve.
Reply 17
*Di*
I'm quite surprised by your reaction ... 1,3 is quite a low offer in fact, especially as my prediction when I applied was 1,0- 1,2. But I've read on many Cam colleges homepages that that is their standard or at least minimum offer. And I've got a leavlet from Oxford that says their minimum offer is 1,5 :eek:. When I went for my interview I met a student from Germany and her offer had been 1,3 and 13 13 13, so obviously it's not too uncommon.

Moreover I don't think I was something like an exceptional candidate or that I was very impressive at interview. Actually I was pooled and got my offer from another college (at least without further interview).

And while 1,3 is relatively low the 14 in History (I applied for History) was tough!
I mean it's not like getting an A at A-Level, but it's one single exam on one single day that counts. There's a lot of luck involved there and I was really scared I wouldn't make it.
I got 15 and 1,0 in the end, but the months before the History exam and the waiting for the results took a lot of nerve.

They say that they require at least 1,5... and I think this only applies to Maths and Physics as many people who are really good at it don't get top marks in other subjects. Plus, it's another proof that the Abitur is much harder than A levels. :p: :biggrin:

During the past years 1,3 was the best result at our school... just for the record. Anyway did your teachers know that you got an offer and needed the 1,3 + 14?
Basically, this is how it works. They give out 1.2 standard offers. BUT if they really like someone, they wanna make sure that that person can come. So they lower the offer to say, a 1.3 or even 1.4 if they think your almost a genius. So getting something like 1.3 is very impressive.
Reply 19
pearfire
Basically, this is how it works. They give out 1.2 standard offers. BUT if they really like someone, they wanna make sure that that person can come. So they lower the offer to say, a 1.3 or even 1.4 if they think your almost a genius. So getting something like 1.3 is very impressive.

On the other hand: you only need not to do tooo well in a single subject, e.g. 8 instead of 13 points to lose 0,1. But I think if you get an offer, i.e. if you do well at the interview, you won't be nervous in your Abi exams either -> it doesn't matter if they offer 1,2 or 1,3.

Latest

Trending

Trending