The Student Room Group

Guys - what age do you want to settle down/get married POLL

Scroll to see replies

Well I've always said I want to be at least 25 before I think of settling down/having kids. Finish university and hopefully get a good job. Being 21 now, that seems so close and probably not as likely... That said, I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years. But yeah, I think I'd say it really does depend on your situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
28-31. Would have graduated from med school etc and had some time after that.
Reply 22
I do not plan on getting married with the anti male bias family court has.
Wow people want to wait till late
Reply 24
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Wow people want to wait till late

It's a rush for women due to losing looks but for men, we don't have the same urgency. I'd even be happy waiting until near 40 TBH.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jebedee
It's a rush for women due to losing looks but for men, we don't have the same urgency. I'd even be happy waiting until near 40 TBH.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't say it's due to losing looks, and men have this delusion that they'll all look like George Cloony as they age but in reality, the average 40 year old man isn't any more attractive than the average 40 year old woman :tongue:

It's not a "rush", but I dunno, I don't understand why people wouldn't want to do it early? Why wouldn't you want to spend your life with the one you love?
Wouldn't say it's due to losing looks, and men have this delusion that they'll all look like George Cloony as they age but in reality, the average 40 year old man isn't any more attractive than the average 40 year old woman :tongue:

It's not a "rush", but I dunno, I don't understand why people wouldn't want to do it early? Why wouldn't you want to spend your life with the one you love?

http://cdn.okcimg.com/blog/older_lover/Desirability.png

Men are more attractive than Women when they are 40 but you can't seriously expect to get a woman many years younger than you so you really do need to get a move on quickly due to women's fertility last only till their 30s.A lot of women have been conned by society to look for careers first,use contraception and this has led to lots of women being unable to bear a child, once they realise its too late.Really they need to be looking for a child first because they know they have decades to find the right career.
Didn't realise the question is for girls too. mine would be 19 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalek1099
http://cdn.okcimg.com/blog/older_lover/Desirability.png

Men are more attractive than Women when they are 40 but you can't seriously expect to get a woman many years younger than you so you really do need to get a move on quickly due to women's fertility last only till their 30s.A lot of women have been conned by society to look for careers first,use contraception and this has led to lots of women being unable to bear a child, once they realise its too late.Really they need to be looking for a child first because they know they have decades to find the right career.

Where's that from? Doesn't seem legit...
Where's that from? Doesn't seem legit...

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-case-for-an-older-woman/
I've got to agree with this really the most attractive men like David Tennant are older than the most attractive women, who are normally in their 20s.Biologically this makes a lot of sense most 40 year old women can't reproduce so they shouldn't be very attractive because they aren't fertile but 40 year old men can making them more attractive than 40 year old women.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by puma21
I do not plan on getting married with the anti male bias family court has.

Not really, they're just biased against people who have **** lawyers, Family is massively dependent on the skill of your advocate, for some reason women seem better at picking lawyers, dunno why. Big money cases tend to be more woman takes man to the cleaners, but that's because generally men are more likely to be very rich, there's still plenty of cases out there with men rinsing women for a lot.
Early 30s.
Reply 32

I think it all ties in with men and women's evolutionary programming. Men are programmed to be polygamous and whether we like it or not, we have that instinct. If we settle down early then we aren't really fulfilling it. For guys who never really attracted many girls, they aren't missing out by settling early as single life = a sexless life. But for others....
Original post by Jebedee
I think it all ties in with men and women's evolutionary programming. Men are programmed to be polygamous and whether we like it or not, we have that instinct. If we settle down early then we aren't really fulfilling it. For guys who never really attracted many girls, they aren't missing out by settling early as single life = a sexless life. But for others....

1) That's pseudoscience at best

2) I'll give you an example, my boyfriend's very attractive, gets lots of attention, he's 21. Yet he's perfectly happy in a monogamous relationship. He has done "the single stuff" beforehand and says it's boring and immature.

I get everyone has their own opinions, but I just don't see what you'd want from not settling down

2) I'll give you an example, my boyfriend's very attractive, gets lots of attention, he's 21. Yet he's perfectly happy in a monogamous relationship. He has done "the single stuff" beforehand and says it's boring and immature.

I get everyone has their own opinions, but I just don't see what you'd want from not settling down

My husband has always said similar things to your boyfriend so agree with your points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35

Some people have different ideas on how far to go with the "single stuff" before settling. Plus you can't guarantee he's being monogamous really :P That's a stock answer when a girlfriend asks if you're happy with only sleeping with one woman.
Original post by Jebedee
Some people have different ideas on how far to go with the "single stuff" before settling. Plus you can't guarantee he's being monogamous really :P That's a stock answer when a girlfriend asks if you're happy with only sleeping with one woman.

I can guarantee it. It wasn't an answer to a question either, we were just talking about how stupid most young people are.

I don't get why anyone would want to do it at all though? I come from a family of early marriers, my nan at 18, my mum at 20, seems the best thing to do
Original post by Jebedee

Just because you don't believe in monogamy, doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I'm agreeing with the guys here, definitely don't want to be married before 27 at the earliest.
Reply 39
I can guarantee it. It wasn't an answer to a question either, we were just talking about how stupid most young people are.

I don't get why anyone would want to do it at all though? I come from a family of early marriers, my nan at 18, my mum at 20, seems the best thing to do

You don't get it because you're a woman, hence you're hard-wired for monogamy. Then again, even women who settle down with their first love start getting the itch quite often. My family is also full of earlier marriers and girls with early pregnancies. Every time it ended up with a messy divorce.

Original post by donutaud15
Just because you don't believe in monogamy, doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're wrong, I believe it but after getting urges out of my system. Not as if I'm the first one to say so, evidently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending