The Student Room Group

Boxing, kickboxing or martial arts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pictraz
^ this

I mainly do Goju Ryu, and we do some grappling as well as some practical defence (not strictly part of the art, but taught nevertheless).

I find Goju Ryu shares many similarities with Krav Maga (the latter which consists of a wide combination of techniques sourced from boxing/muay thai- thai kickboxing/Wing Chun/Judo/wrestling etc), it's quite good since it's extremely efficient in real-world situations, albeit a bit too brutal for my liking.
Reply 21
Original post by JoshBedford
Ah same, have you done any competitions before?

Quite a few. Won most of them or came second. I seem to excel at the kata, I don't mind the kumite though.
Reply 22
Original post by Urban Ace
I find Goju Ryu shares many similarities with Krav Maga (the latter which consists of a wide combination of techniques sourced from boxing/muay thai- thai kickboxing/Wing Chun/Judo/wrestling etc), it's quite good since it's extremely efficient in real-world situations, albeit a bit too brutal for my liking.

Fair enough :smile:

We don't go too hard though. We do wear gloves and shin guards, but we still get hit quite a bit. It's fun though :biggrin:

How is Wado-Ryu? And what's your rank?
I know a BJJ instructor who was a black belt in Karate and Tae Kwon Do (might have been a third but I've forgotten) and he said nothing challenged him in the same way as BJJ. Its not for everyone though as pretty much all is ground based, but I think it would be more useful than most other martial arts for self defence.
Reply 24
Original post by Pictraz
Fair enough :smile:

We don't go too hard though. We do wear gloves and shin guards, but we still get hit quite a bit. It's fun though :biggrin:

How is Wado-Ryu? And what's your rank?

Ah. I would hope so! :smile: I'm brown belt; 2 or 3 off black. So much effort learning the new moves and sequences though.
Reply 25
Original post by Urban Ace
Ah. I would hope so! :smile: I'm brown belt; 2 or 3 off black. So much effort learning the new moves and sequences though.

Haha yeah. For my black belt I had to do 6 katas and their applications :redface: It was actually the first few that I began to forgot since I hadn't done them for a while :P

How long have you been training?
Reply 26
Original post by Pictraz
Haha yeah. For my black belt I had to do 6 katas and their applications :redface: It was actually the first few that I began to forgot since I hadn't done them for a while :P

How long have you been training?

Jeez :O I've been training for nearly 3 years but it's been on and off (due to injuries from other sports *cough* Rugby *cough*)
Having done both I'm biased but for every day street defence Judo and boxing would suffice.

MMA would be the best option in terms of learning how to fight properly but a mugger is unlikely to require a developed set of MMA skills to see off. MMA can also be a lot harder on the body than Judo/Boxing classes seperately in my experience.

Boxing will get you mega fit if you're at a decent gym. Your fitness is the one thing you have complete control over. Nerves/weight/skill can take a lot of time and be difficult to develop/manage for a variety of reasons but if you train hard, you get fitter that's a constant. You can also win a fight on fitness alone if they happen to be a better boxer than you but you box smart.
Okay, so im a 1st dan black belt in wado ryu karate and would thoroughly recommend it. Having done it for around 11 years and been in a street fight, it does definitely help self defence wise though dont expect anything like karate kid! its also great for fitness - we often wrestle and spar which is hard work but also really fun. I would say though it is male-dominated! im a female but know all the boys really well and they are not too bad! (i teach most of them now!) but if youre anti-boy then martial arts probs isnt for you! (though if you really want to, dont be put off- you can go with a friend?) You dont have to be/become really musclely as well - being small makes you a lot faster!
The main purpose of this style of karate is self defence, not attacking or throwing the attacked of your shoulder! i think wado ryu has been explained already on this thread so wont repeat others but feel free to ask any questions!
And Imorgan95, martial arts are probs the most useful when it comes to street fighting. (unfortunately experienced in that area) but not saying it could take on loads of hench men like in films - you gotta be realistic!
Definitely start something up but your choice will probs be made on whats easyst to get to! have fun and be confident and dont let the boys push you around! :biggrin: xxx any questions
Reply 29
Original post by hatcs001
I'm looking to find a sport that can help me get fit and secure some knowledge about self defence - even if the techniques used will be a bit far fetched.

I know that boxing uses your arms, do you use your legs at all? Do you use your arms in kickboxing too? What about martial arts? I'd that a physical contact sport or would I be better off with my reasonings to go with either boxing or kickboxing?

Also, I'm a girl and am slightly anxious about joining a club full of male members. Any reassurance or advice on which sport to take up?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not try a combination of a martial art with boxing? Or take a taster and see which one fits you the most.

AFAIK, kickboxing and boxing are usually separated by gender for matches and practices, but you might train with males.

A martial art is your best bet. It works your body as a one unit as opposed to your legs or arms, and you become rather flexible if you practise often. Certain martial arts include weapons training, which I found invaluable and something a little different to ordinary sports. Depending on the martial art, you develop strong self-defence skills too.

Being a girl in a dojo with a bunch of guys isn't that daunting actually, as you can use their heavier weight to your advantage. Although you will have to spar with guys often, it never really troubled me at all and it's easier than taking on another girl.
I used to practice taekwondo but there is too much emphasis on flexible moves, like the jumping crescent kick, to be a viable tool in self defence out in the street. I would recommend a martial arts that places an emphasis on grappling like judo, hapkido and aikido.
Reply 31
I'd steer clear of most martial arts if you're in Britain. You'll spend years learning impractical techniques which look more like some hippy dance routines and god forbid you get into an actual fight, you'll get mauled.

Go with mma or boxing and you can't go wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Wow! Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm going to process all this new information and have a peek at my local classes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Hmm reading threads like this make me want to return to judo. It's been a whole year without it and I feel like its grown out of me a bit, just the enthusiasm for it seems to be gone.

But I keep wondering what it would be like if I had made 1st dan...I was close.
Original post by hatcs001
I'm looking to find a sport that can help me get fit and secure some knowledge about self defence - even if the techniques used will be a bit far fetched.

MMA is the best, disciplines will vary. Personally I prefer boxing but then I do also practice MMA too but not to the same extent as boxing.
Reply 35
If you're worried about being mugged, I recommend learning the 200 yard dash. Probably a better bet than squaring up to two big blokes with knives thinking that two hours in the gym with fiona every tuesday night is going to make you the odds-on favourite.
Reply 36
Original post by Jebedee
I'd steer clear of most martial arts if you're in Britain. You'll spend years learning impractical techniques which look more like some hippy dance routines and god forbid you get into an actual fight, you'll get mauled.

Go with mma or boxing and you can't go wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So true, my one mate thought he was hard because he had a black belt in some bull**** or other and banged on about all the tournaments he had won. Well the one time he got in a real fight it was just embarrassing. He got knocked out by the first punch and I had to step in a stop the bloke kicking him in the head. 99% of martial arts are completely useless in a real fight.
i did do boxing for a few months a while back now but much more interested in mma recently because of UFC and something that i would like to try when i get some time on my hands
Reply 38
Original post by cole-slaw
So true, my one mate thought he was hard because he had a black belt in some bull**** or other and banged on about all the tournaments he had won. Well the one time he got in a real fight it was just embarrassing. He got knocked out by the first punch and I had to step in a stop the bloke kicking him in the head. 99% of martial arts are completely useless in a real fight.

Yeah I did a traditional jiu jitsu lesson last year (because first session was free) and I had some BJJ experience and was curious to see the difference. One of the techniques had us turn our back on the attacker in close range...I was like "Wtf is this ****? You can't do that". The teacher made up some lame excuse like "oh well this is for self-defence not competitive fighting"...Not like that would justify it at all. Then he out of nowhere started making comments about me to discredit me in front of the rest of the class like "you're muscles may look nice but they will hold you back in a fight and weigh you down". I laughed it off because he was an old guy but come on...so desperate.

Yeah most martial arts teachers are scheisters who will try to have you believe that after enough time training patiently you'll actually be good, but it's just a long-term investment with nothing to show for it apart from being very efficient at getting knocked the F*** out.
Reply 39
Original post by Jebedee
Yeah I did a traditional jiu jitsu lesson last year (because first session was free) and I had some BJJ experience and was curious to see the difference. One of the techniques had us turn our back on the attacker in close range...I was like "Wtf is this ****? You can't do that". The teacher made up some lame excuse like "oh well this is for self-defence not competitive fighting"...Not like that would justify it at all. Then he out of nowhere started making comments about me to discredit me in front of the rest of the class like "you're muscles may look nice but they will hold you back in a fight and weigh you down". I laughed it off because he was an old guy but come on...so desperate.

Yeah most martial arts teachers are scheisters who will try to have you believe that after enough time training patiently you'll actually be good, but it's just a long-term investment with nothing to show for it apart from being very efficient at getting knocked the F*** out.

Boxing on the other hand, I would not mess with a boxer. Not a real one that gets in a ring and gets punched in the head every week.

For one thing, they all seem to be psycho skinheads, whereas martial arts tends to be soft middle class kids who watching karate kid when they were young and now have delusions of grandeur.

Quick Reply

Latest