The Student Room Group

Is a-level geology considered a science when applying for uni?

I'm doing geology this year at college

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any help?
Reply 2
Original post by JAIYEKO
Any help?

some places do others don't. what course are you applying for?
Reply 3
Not sure it can be considered an A-Level.
Depends what course you are looking at.
Reply 4
Original post by 391iady
some places do others don't. what course are you applying for?

Petroleum engineering.
Reply 5
Original post by TheBigJosh
Not sure it can be considered an A-Level.
Depends what course you are looking at.

What do you mean 'considered an A-level?'
Reply 6
Original post by JAIYEKO
What do you mean 'considered an A-level?'

My opinion is that is a vocational, soft, 'Mickey Mouse' option, along with A-Level Music, Accountancy, Business, Media, Environmental Studies, Art, Textiles etc.
Weaker universities will accept it though.
Reply 7
No.
Reply 8
Original post by JAIYEKO
I'm doing geology this year at college

My opinion is that is a vocational, soft, 'Mickey Mouse' option, along with A-Level Music, Accountancy, Business, Media, Environmental Studies, Art, Textiles etc.
Weaker universities will accept it though.

I believe UCL class it as a science.

Opinions are like bottoms eh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Jkizer
I believe UCL class it as a science.

Opinions are like bottoms eh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean as someone that is taking one of these lesser subjects, I fully accept the fact you will defend studying it.
Reply 10
I mean as someone that is taking one of these lesser subjects, I fully accept the fact you will defend studying it.

Nah, I do Maths, economics and psychology.

I think you have a completely narrow view on geology, especially if your placing it in the sort of bands with media/accounting.
Whether it may be considered a science for petroleum engineering im not sure (since i dont think its a widely offered degree in the UK) but i am sure that its not considered weak - If its as weak as you make it out to be, surely universities will tell students not to take it for courses like Geophysics?

There are also subjects which are not on this list, such as Economics, Geology and Religious Studies, which provide a good preparation for university study but which are rarely a requirement for university entry.
http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/

I look forward to any reply :camp:
I presume not replying means you have been proven wrong.
Reply 11
Original post by Jkizer
Nah, I do Maths, economics and psychology.

I think you have a completely narrow view on geology, especially if your placing it in the sort of bands with media/accounting.
Whether it may be considered a science for petroleum engineering im not sure (since i dont think its a widely offered degree in the UK) but i am sure that its not considered weak - If its as weak as you make it out to be, surely universities will tell students not to take it for courses like Geophysics?

There are also subjects which are not on this list, such as Economics, Geology and Religious Studies, which provide a good preparation for university study but which are rarely a requirement for university entry.
http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/

I look forward to any reply :camp:
I presume not replying means you have been proven wrong.

No, it just means that I have my opinion, and you have yours. My opinion is commonly shared that's all :smile:
Reply 12
it is more sciencey than psychology for instance.
Reply 13
No, it just means that I have my opinion, and you have yours. My opinion is commonly shared that's all :smile:

I suppose. But opinions of it being a 'soft' A level and one which only 'weaker' universities seems extremely flaky, especially when some of the best universities have no problems with it at all.
Reply 14
Tbh if you're interested in a uni (e.g. Manchester) that says 'maths, physics and a science' and you're doing maths, physics and geology just ring them up and check.

it's an A level that's not very widely available so not frequently specified in university offers.
Reply 15
Geology is a science and many unis consider it a science A Level.
Reply 16
Geology IS a science though... Oxford, UCL and Imperial acknowledge it as a science if you go to their list of 'hard subjects'. Well, to be fair they are wishy washy about it as not a lot of people do it, so you would need to contact them personally.

If you go look at Geology past papers you'll see that the questions are science based.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by JAIYEKO
Petroleum engineering.

Geology is perfect for this job. Doesn't matter if its not required for the course - you'll learn about how to find oil, oil traps, the chemistry of the rocks oil is found in, etc. I learnt all of this in the GCSE so the A Level will be even better.
Reply 18

as the saying goes opinions are like ********s...

however when you state that only weaker universities accept geology you are not stating your opinion, you are purporting to state a fact.

fwiw Russell groups unis will make offers for electrical/electronic engineering to applicants taking maths, physics AND ICT/electronics.

Imperial college says the following to prospective students of Petroleum Geoscience

Geology is not required at A level and students who do not offer this subject will be provided with additional subject teaching in the first year.

source: http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/57704/petroleum-geoscience?Vac=1&AvailableIn=2014&Query=petroleum%20&ret=providers#coursedetailsmenu

Your opinion appears to differ from Imperial's - between your opinion and Imperial's, which opinion do you think is more useful to prospective university students?
Reply 19
Original post by kkboyk
Geology IS a science though... Oxford, UCL and Imperial acknowledge it as a science if you go to their list of 'hard subjects'. Well, to be fair they are wishy washy about it as not a lot of people do it, so you would need to contact them personally.

If you go look at Geology past papers you'll see that the questions are science based.

Yeah thanks I'll contact them today and get back to you

Quick Reply

Latest