The Student Room Group

Edexcel Igcse Physics exam paper 1

hi,

So i have my Edexcel physics igcse tomorrow! So nervous! :s-smilie:

Anyone got any thoughts on what they think is most likely to come up?

also I am doing double science and people have been saying that because the chemistry exam was 'easy' then that means the physics and biology may be harder to average out the grade boundaries? any thoughts on this? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes i agree, physics and bio will unfortunately be harder. i found chem easy.
Also, certain to see a question on drawing graphs and isotopes as neither were on chemistry (well, kind of isotopes)
Reply 3
Original post by Tizzydag
yes i agree, physics and bio will unfortunately be harder. i found chem easy.

ohh... physics is probably my worst science, so that's not great! but biology is usually okay... i guess we'll just have to wait for the papers!
Reply 4
Original post by Random1357
Also, certain to see a question on drawing graphs and isotopes as neither were on chemistry (well, kind of isotopes)

never thought of it that way... that what doesn't come up on another science can come up on another! shall definitely work on those again tonight!

i really hate electromagnetism... so i hope there isn't too many marks on that tomorrow! :/
Original post by doodle97
never thought of it that way... that what doesn't come up on another science can come up on another! shall definitely work on those again tonight!

i really hate electromagnetism... so i hope there isn't too many marks on that tomorrow! :/

I quite like the electromagnetism stuff, im just scared from everyone saying its going to be hard haha, last years didnt look very nice (doing it now as last minute revision), hate hate hate writing experiment questions
Original post by ella_chloe
I quite like the electromagnetism stuff, im just scared from everyone saying its going to be hard haha, last years didnt look very nice (doing it now as last minute revision), hate hate hate writing experiment questions

For experiment you are almost bound to get full marks if you write (in a paragraph):

1)dependent variable and how measured
2) independent variable (and how varied: give specifics where time/vol etc is required.
3) two control variables (or three to be sure you get both marks)
4) you will repeat and eliminate anomalies
5) 2 experimental details just to be sure

Pretty much how the MS does it, BUT make sure you put it in paragraphs or extended bullets as you lose marks for saying "dependant variable =X..."
For experiment you are almost bound to get full marks if you write (in a paragraph):

2) independent variable (and how varied: give specifics where time/vol etc is required.

Pretty much how the MS does it, BUT make sure you put it in paragraphs or extended bullets as you lose marks for saying "dependant variable =X..."

wow thanks! will definitely remember this, so in that order? and do you reckon it will be on tomorrows test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think the MS cares about the order, and in physics it's very likely to come up. Good luck! :smile:

Oh, one more very important thing: in physics you can get marks for data handling such as if measuring n then say you'd put sin(I)/sin(r). (Where you've already said r is dependant and I independent.)
(edited 9 years ago)

Wooow, thanx a bunch! :biggrin:
I'm going to fail big time the first paper
dam question 5b

Posted from TSR Mobile
what was question 5b about?
Original post by DOPECYCLIST
what was question 5b about?

oil question i think, we had to describe a experiment to do with oil and a ball and terminal velocity
did you split the tube into sections and work out the speed in each section?
Original post by NatalieUK

I dont even know thats the question that I made up the most of

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) ruler next to tube
2) measure
3) split tube into 10cm sections
4)drop metal ball into test tube
5) drop use stopwatch to measure the time taken for the ball to pass each section
6) record
7) use s=d/t
8) use a=v-u/t
9) no change in numbers at the end = terminal velocity
Original post by DOPECYCLIST
1) ruler next to tube
2) measure
3) split tube into 10cm sections
4)drop metal ball into test tube
5) drop use stopwatch to measure the time taken for the ball to pass each section
6) record
7) use s=d/t
8) use a=v-u/t
9) no change in numbers at the end = terminal velocity

may of gotten 2-3 marks for this question :smile:
Original post by NatalieUK

I dont even know thats the question that I made up the most of

Posted from TSR Mobile
I screwed up.

How did you all find it? (Be subtle, people in other countries may not have sat the exam)
The general consensus varied in my year, with some finding it easy (o_o) and others, like me, v hard. I couldn't have ****ed up more if I tried.

Praying that the grade boundaries are low.

Quick Reply

Latest