The Student Room Group

16,homeschooled,but couldn't do IGCSE'S/GCSE's this year. Help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thechemistress
The point about the A-Levels is that you seemed to think you can A*A*A*A* just like that. We're just pointing put that less than 1% of the country get that.

Then again, I know two girls who got 4 A* And A At a-level and they were upset with the A (but they're really stuck up, they look down on people with B's )!!! So, its not impossible(but not easy).

and they didn't even get into oxbridge?, they're at leeds&manchester!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Anyways, what I was asking if I get good grades sitting my (I)GCSE's in one go, then get good-grades in my a-levels would Uni's still turn me down? Because I didn't do the (I)GCSE's at 14-16 and the A-Levels at 16-18 like everyone else and i'm starting them 16-17 and the a-levels 17-19.

That's all I need to know.

+Also, I spoke to a college about A-Levels, they said people who got C's at gcse found a-levels hard but still passed and some went on to Oxford?!?......
Reply 22
Original post by elmosandy
Then again, I know two girls who got 4 A* And A At a-level and they were upset with the A (but they're really stuck up, they look down on people with B's )!!! So, its not impossible(but not easy).

and they didn't even get into oxbridge?, they're at leeds&manchester!

+1: these girls were in grammar school, and they said some of there friends got 4a*, so i'm not saying its a piece of cake but It shows its not impossible??
Also, I spoke to a college about A-Levels, they said people who got C's at gcse found a-levels hard but still passed and some went on to Oxford?!?....
+1: these girls were in grammar school, and they said some of there friends got 4a*, so i'm not saying its a piece of cake but It shows its not impossible??
Also, I spoke to a college about A-Levels, they said people who got C's at gcse found a-levels hard but still passed and some went on to Oxford?!?....

Yes but if you get mostly C's at GCSE then go to oxford you will probably have extenuating circumstances that stopped them from attaining higher grades. I know it is not impossible, virtually nothing is impossible but you need to be realistic in your goals.
Reply 24
Original post by GoldGhost
Yes but if you get mostly C's at GCSE then go to oxford you will probably have extenuating circumstances that stopped them from attaining higher grades. I know it is not impossible, virtually nothing is impossible but you need to be realistic in your goals.

Actually, I spoke to the college, and no they did not:smile:, they just went to a normal comprensive and got C's and they found a-levels really tough at first but by pushing themselves, they got though A-Levels and went to Oxford:wink:.

Of course you need to be realistic in your goals, but you're both acting like me&/or someone aiming for oxford and/or 4 A*'s with gcses lower than A*(or even with A*) is out of the question,noone ever really reaches that and that me&/or someone else is ridiculous for even thinking so when I know people(and yes, they were in grammar) have got 4 A*, and like I said those two girls got 4A* and 1 A and haven't even gone to oxford.

Anyways, I know the majority who get C's at GCSE will be looked down by Oxbridge, but really, this is going off topic, all I wanted to know is if I do (I)GCSE and A-Levels one year later, will I be turned down by uni's?
Actually, I spoke to the college, and no they did not:smile:, they just went to a normal comprensive and got C's and they found a-levels really tough at first but by pushing themselves, they got though A-Levels and went to Oxford:wink:.

Of course you need to be realistic in your goals, but you're both acting like me&/or someone aiming for oxford and/or 4 A*'s with gcses lower than A*(or even with A*) is out of the question,noone ever really reaches that and that me&/or someone else is ridiculous for even thinking so when I know people(and yes, they were in grammar) have got 4 A*, and like I said those two girls got 4A* and 1 A and haven't even gone to oxford.

Anyways, I know the majority who get C's at GCSE will be looked down by Oxbridge, but really, this is going off topic, all I wanted to know is if I do (I)GCSE and A-Levels one year later, will I be turned down by uni's?

No, you'll be fine, provided you don't want to apply for Oxford/Cambridge or Harvard don't worry!
Reply 26
Original post by GoldGhost
No, you'll be fine, provided you don't want to apply for Oxford/Cambridge or Harvard don't worry!

Yeah, this is the thing, I HAVEN'T SAT ANY (I)GCSE's? I was suppossed to sit them all this exam period,which would have been ONE exam period if I sit them the next exam period and get A*/A/B then still all my (I)GCSE's will be sat in ONE exam period, then the A-levels 2 years...

I'm asking, even if I get good grades in the (I)GCSE's&A-Levels would I still be turned down by uni's because I did them (unoffically) one year later...

Okay well firstly if you study for and sit your exams over 2 years (Year 10-11) that is sitting them in one exam period. Studying for and sitting them after three years is more than one exam period.

Secondly, in answer to your new question I believe it will be okay for the universities where you are looking to apply. My rule of thumb would be if the application process involves an interview (so a really competitive course and/or a really competitive university) then they're going to be far more picky and so may potentially penalise you for taking three years to sit your GCSEs. In the case of Oxbridge for Medicine this would be certain. However, if you have extenuating circumstances (e.g. close family death) universities (including Oxbridge) would be far more understanding.
Reply 28
Original post by dancinglove
Okay well firstly if you study for and sit your exams over 2 years (Year 10-11) that is sitting them in one exam period. Studying for and sitting them after three years is more than one exam period.

Secondly, in answer to your new question I believe it will be okay for the universities where you are looking to apply. My rule of thumb would be if the application process involves an interview (so a really competitive course and/or a really competitive university) then they're going to be far more picky and so may potentially penalise you for taking three years to sit your GCSEs. In the case of Oxbridge for Medicine this would be certain. However, if you have extenuating circumstances (e.g. close family death) universities (including Oxbridge) would be far more understanding.

Okay

Quick Reply

Latest