The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Sorry don't know what happened there! I'll repost.

I'm a grad student and have a postgrad MSc. The evidence I have for this is a certificate which states I have a Master of Science in my subject....but that's it. I'm a bit worried about the classification side of things (i.e. the certificate doesn't say "pass" or "distinction"). Do you think I need a copy of a transcript? (which I don't have!) or do MScs actually have classifications?

I only just thought about this and am panicking a little! Thanks in advance (:
Anyone have any information about the hospitals in LNR? Would be great to get an idea about the hospitals in the area before I put it in my top 5!
Original post by MrsTS
Sorry don't know what happened there! I'll repost.

I'm a grad student and have a postgrad MSc. The evidence I have for this is a certificate which states I have a Master of Science in my subject....but that's it. I'm a bit worried about the classification side of things (i.e. the certificate doesn't say "pass" or "distinction"). Do you think I need a copy of a transcript? (which I don't have!) or do MScs actually have classifications?

I only just thought about this and am panicking a little! Thanks in advance (:

If you're just claiming points for it as a pass rather than a distinction or anything, the certificate should be enough. Worth getting hold of an official transcript from your university though, as you may need it for interviews/other applications in the future!
Reply 183
Original post by Helenia
If you're just claiming points for it as a pass rather than a distinction or anything, the certificate should be enough. Worth getting hold of an official transcript from your university though, as you may need it for interviews/other applications in the future!

Ah, thanks for this - puts my mind at ease! I thought that - there are no extra points for a distinction anyway so surely the degree class (if it existed) doesn't mean anything anyway. Hoepfully they go by the same logic! (:
Done!!
Peninsula, Wessex, Severn, Wales

That was nerve-wracking
All done - finally submitted my form! Phew!

Top 5 for FP: NC Thames, NW Thames, NE Thames, East Anglia and S Thames
AFP: Thames only (just ranked 13 jobs in total - wanted to apply for jobs I'd actually be happy to do and not just rank for the sake of it)

Best of luck all!
Original post by Medicine Man
All done - finally submitted my form! Phew!

Top 5 for FP: NC Thames, NW Thames, NE Thames, East Anglia and S Thames
AFP: Thames only (just ranked 13 jobs in total - wanted to apply for jobs I'd actually be happy to do and not just rank for the sake of it)

Best of luck all!

Aaaah I'm struggling to choose between NC and NW thames. If you don't mind me asking what made you put NC first?
Done! FP top 5:
West Midlands Central
North Western
Mersey
Severn
Peninsula

Ahhhhhhhhh! Now such a long wait!
Original post by jco91
Aaaah I'm struggling to choose between NC and NW thames. If you don't mind me asking what made you put NC first?

I initially had NW top up until the last 20 mins or so before I submitted the form (purely because it was more competitive to get into and so it made sense to put it first).

I screwed all the stats and just went on commute time - the NC hospitals are closer to where I stay than the NW ones (I plan on staying here for at least the next two years), and although the NW hospitals guarantee you will be within zone 6 for both years which is nice, I wouldn't quite mind having an F1 job just outside of London where things aren't as busy and I may get a bit more support (I've always enjoyed my placements in the hospitals outside London than in the ones in London so wanted more of that). In addition, Northwick Park, Hilllingdon and Ealing hospitals are all prob 1hr+ commutes from where I currently stay and commute time is a pretty big deal for me.

TL;DR: I'm lazy and want as short a commute as possible with some decent hospitals.
I initially had NW top up until the last 20 mins or so before I submitted the form (purely because it was more competitive to get into and so it made sense to put it first).

I screwed all the stats and just went on commute time - the NC hospitals are closer to where I stay than the NW ones (I plan on staying here for at least the next two years), and although the NW hospitals guarantee you will be within zone 6 for both years which is nice, I wouldn't quite mind having an F1 job just outside of London where things aren't as busy and I may get a bit more support (I've always enjoyed my placements in the hospitals outside London than in the ones in London so wanted more of that). In addition, Northwick Park, Hilllingdon and Ealing hospitals are all prob 1hr+ commutes from where I currently stay and commute time is a pretty big deal for me.

TL;DR: I'm lazy and want as short a commute as possible with some decent hospitals.

Sounds like as good a reason as any!
I wouldn't quite mind having an F1 job just outside of London where things aren't as busy and I may get a bit more support (I've always enjoyed my placements in the hospitals outside London than in the ones in London so wanted more of that).

If you get North Central, I think you might really like the Whittington. DGH vibe, super friendly but in a central location (even if Archway is a bit of a dump, Highgate is literally just up the hill). One of the nicest hospitals I've been in, I think it would be a great place to do F1/2.
Original post by seaholme
If you get North Central, I think you might really like the Whittington. DGH vibe, super friendly but in a central location (even if Archway is a bit of a dump, Highgate is literally just up the hill). One of the nicest hospitals I've been in, I think it would be a great place to do F1/2.

I may have been born there and it may be my local hospital at home! :wink:

But I agree, it is a very lovely hospital! :biggrin:

Original post by jco91
Sounds like as good a reason as any!

Its a tough call, and people seem pretty split on NW and NC for very similar reasons. Good luck with the decision making! :biggrin:
FPAS sent AT LAST. I hope I don't grow to regret my choices, but at least I can sleep better tonight!
Reply 193
Original post by seaholme
FPAS sent AT LAST. I hope I don't grow to regret my choices, but at least I can sleep better tonight!

Good Luck!

I'm hoping I shall at last convince myself to press submit this evening! Just doing my final/final/final checks :colondollar:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Good luck! South Thames looks great but I have no desire whatsoever to work in London. Severn is just about within the level of competitiveness that I'm comfortable with; I'd need to do average or slightly above average on the SJT to get up to the scores for previous years.

Have you submitted yet?!
Original post by annread
Have you submitted yet?!

Two minutes ago. Put Severn first, and now I feel 1000x better.
I know this is a bit premature but is there any way you can find out the how competitive/average score for each trust within the deanery? Ideally want it for peninsula x
Reply 197
FPAS submitted. Hurrah! :smile:
I just can't choose between my 2nd and 3rd choice and it could make all the difference. I change my mind literally every half an hour. Genuinely feel ill!
Went for Oxford first choice. Need 40+ on SJT to be safe :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending