The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by abc44
how is Y+H deanery jobs ranked?

First you get ranked by what region you choose. Then you rank all the jobs within your allocated region e.g. w yorks/n yorks/s yorks. Jobs are then allocated on total fpas score.
Its taken me about 4 hours to rank 6 jobs!! Hopefully it will speed up now I have a process though.
Original post by chunkermed
Anyone else slightly regretting their choice of deanery? I had the scores to get into London (i know i didn't know this when I applied), and now feel like I'm going to be at least 25 by the time I'll be able to move there. I know its not the be all and end all but I feel like its a good place to be young!

I can understand where you are coming from, but the flip side of the coin is that you probably have a pretty good fpas score and so have a high chance of getting your 1st choice programme and rotation, which may not have been the case in London.
Original post by TheRabbit
Its taken me about 4 hours to rank 6 jobs!! Hopefully it will speed up now I have a process though.

It's taken me ages too! I don't know how many to rank properly, without being complacent...because I seriously cant be bothered to think about all of them. I only have 62 to rank as well - nothing compared to some deaneries! And I have a top three, for which I really can't decide on an order! Ahhhhh
Original post by toffeecrisp_
It's taken me ages too! I don't know how many to rank properly, without being complacent...because I seriously cant be bothered to think about all of them. I only have 62 to rank as well - nothing compared to some deaneries! And I have a top three, for which I really can't decide on an order! Ahhhhh

I have 50 to rank so not so bad, but I can't make mind up if I am doing the right thing with my first choice in the north of Scotland, and then after that I have been looking at the west Scotland and all their F1s are pretty similar apart form different locations and they aren't paired with F2 (though its suggested what F2 may look like) so its hard to tell which programme I'd prefer.

I'm torn between Inverness/north of Scotland - which would be close to family and friends for support - or going to Glasgow to experience the busier hospitals and the rotations which look like they have a better combination of specialities for me.

Ideal rotation for F2 would have GP and emergency medicine, emergency medicine isn't actually in my 1st choice, though the jobs in F2 will involve covering A and E.

Doesn't help my 1st choice had a pretty high minimum score last year so there is a risk I would end up in psychiatry instead of GP...
Original post by TheRabbit
I have 50 to rank so not so bad, but I can't make mind up if I am doing the right thing with my first choice in the north of Scotland, and then after that I have been looking at the west Scotland and all their F1s are pretty similar apart form different locations and they aren't paired with F2 (though its suggested what F2 may look like) so its hard to tell which programme I'd prefer.

I'm torn between Inverness/north of Scotland - which would be close to family and friends for support - or going to Glasgow to experience the busier hospitals and the rotations which look like they have a better combination of specialities for me.

Ideal rotation for F2 would have GP and emergency medicine, emergency medicine isn't actually in my 1st choice, though the jobs in F2 will involve covering A and E.

Doesn't help my 1st choice had a pretty high minimum score last year so there is a risk I would end up in psychiatry instead of GP...

Fair enough :smile: there are so many decisions to make! Luckily in Birmingham all the hospitals are easily reachable from where I live now so I can just stay here and commute very easily. I'm avoiding one hospital, but other than that I'm mainly ranking jobs based on the rotations!

I really can't decide whether I want to do paeds or psych in FY1, I'd ideally want to do both of them over the two years, and looking at the West Midlands FY2 jobs there are lots which have psych/paeds too. I'm just rubbish at making decisions haha! I feel like psych probably wont be very popular, and I have quite a high score on the graph for this year, so maybe I should go for paeds which would be more popular and then psych for FY2 when I might not have that good a score? Who knows!
From my experience as a medical student:

-MRI: busy, FYs generally complain of tough rotas, parts of the hospitals new and shiny, childrens hospital bit is really good with everyone very friendly, lots of academic activity (e.g. research), teaching somewhat sporadic
-Salford: new, high performing hospital, everything is very very protocolic, clinical learning opportunities hard to come by although scheduled teaching always happens, spent lots of time here and the atmosphere here isn't great imho...this is the general med student opinion, FYs seem generally happy and I think the work-life balance is pretty good in F1, some specialities are limited in scope but good if you want to do neuro stuff
-Wythenshawe: not been very frequently but medical students and foundation doctors love it there, generally heard great things about teaching and the working environment there
-Bolton: a bit old and run down as hospitals go but FYs and med students like it here. Everyone is really nice and keen to teach...would definitely recommend. Close to motorway and Manchester...about 20-40 minutes commute from Manchester...of course this depends on where you live but I'd say from say Didsbury it'll take about 30-35 minutes to get there.
-Stepping hill: always very competitive to get into and everyone rates it highly although I have limited experience personally
-Wigan: A bit of an odd hospital as most of the outpatients is like 1.5 miles from the main hospital. As a med student, no one really care about you but junior doctors seem fairly happy. Difficult commute from Manchester...really good library though (surprisingly!)
-North Manchester: Busy! Overall atmosphere is good...FYs are generally happy here.
-Tameside: reputation not the best,I have little personal experience but people say often a bit disorganised
-Blackburn: I don't personally like the hospital (though not sure why!). Everyone is generally nice and FYs get lots of opportunities to do stuff. Busy!
Original post by Blatant Troll
Snap, that's literally the one thing I hoped you wouldn't reply with :doh:

Realistically you need to live on the fast train to London. So that's Darlington (2h30), Durham (2h45) and Gateshead, which is across the river from Newcastle (3h). There is also a regular, direct service from Sunderland via Hartlepool and Middlesbrough(ish) that is only a little bit slower.

I'll let actual students/doctors in the deanery pass comment on individual hospitals. Everywhere has their nice bits and grim bits, much like London. I think the main thing to appreciate as a Londoner - and I can't overstate the obvious here - is that these places aren't London. Newcastle and Sunderland aren't small by any means, but you could fit several of the largest cities in the UK into London with room to spare.

Thank you for such an in depth knowledge of Northern transport.
He's in speciality training and the wedding is this July...oh well, housewife.i.am.

Let me know how you and the other half manage the distance, might still be placed somewhere North again!
Hi Guys,

Really happy to get into Yorkshire and Humber Deanery! Sheffield Medical Student but torn between moving to Leeds and staying in Sheffield. Does anyone have any opinions on hospitals that are good or to avoid in the West Yorkshire area?

Cheers
Original post by thesteelcity
Hi Guys,

Really happy to get into Yorkshire and Humber Deanery! Sheffield Medical Student but torn between moving to Leeds and staying in Sheffield. Does anyone have any opinions on hospitals that are good or to avoid in the West Yorkshire area?

Cheers

:moon: I was a patient at Airedale for a while, and it's my local hospital at home so I'm really tempted to apply there.

LGI is nice.
BRI is a ****hole in my family's experience.
Original post by Friar Chris
:moon: I was a patient at Airedale for a while, and it's my local hospital at home so I'm really tempted to apply there.

LGI is nice.
BRI is a ****hole in my family's experience.

Just be careful of the Medical Director at Airedale... bit if a headcase that one... various people suggest various pathologies at times as to why.

Belay that he's moved on.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 391
Original post by thesteelcity
Hi Guys,

Cheers

Will you guys please just stay in south yorkshire, we don't need extra competition grrr :tongue:
Original post by Dexa
Will you guys please just stay in south yorkshire, we don't need extra competition grrr :tongue:

South Yorkshire is normally the most competitive subunit iirc.
Original post by mumtaz01
72 was the lowest.

Thanks a lot!
Great News! Leeds all the way, awesome city and good hospitals
Trying to decide whether I should prioritise location or jobs. This is tricky!
Reply 396
Could anyone give me a little summary of some of the South Thames deanery hospitals in London (Guys & St Thomas, Kings, Lewisham) and close to London hospitals (Croydon, Dartford, Maidstone). Finding this picking colours thing a nightmare!
I've been ranking jobs all day. Hardest thing I've done all year :confused:
This is a random question but I'm hoping someone can offer advice.

I'm originally from the North (Cheshire), but am studying in London. I 100% don't want to stay here for foundation years and like the look of moving to Scotland (more specifically Edinburgh). It would make a lot more sense for me to put the North Western deanery as my first choice (family and friends are there). I know no-one in Scotland at all, so it would be a bit of a risk I guess.

I'm wondering how many of you who have gone through the process picked somewhere completely randomly, based on just liking the place?
Original post by nabeelv
Could anyone give me a little summary of some of the South Thames deanery hospitals in London (Guys & St Thomas, Kings, Lewisham) and close to London hospitals (Croydon, Dartford, Maidstone). Finding this picking colours thing a nightmare!

I've PM'd you. They didn't have the colour system when I was applying so I had to rank ~500 jobs!

Anyone else wanting info on STFS feel free to ask.

Latest

Trending

Trending