The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Hasn't Oxford got the highest SJT score every year? It also has the highest postgrad exam pass rates (https://reports.gmc-uk.org/views/ExamReportsUndergraduate/DashMedSchool?:tabs=no&:toolbar=no&:embed=y#1).

I think it's probably because the Oxford cohort tends to be the most intelligent, on average.

The oxford cohorts are just better at exams. That does not necessarily mean more intelligent, although it is agreed that they have the highest average UCAS tariff points at entry.

Perhaps they are examined the most, and so are better at assessments? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carcinoma
The oxford cohorts are just better at exams. That does not necessarily mean more intelligent, although it is agreed that they have the highest average UCAS tariff points at entry.

Perhaps they are examined the most, and so are better at assessments? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they certainly seem better at a very wide range of exams, from A Levels to postgraduate clinical assessments. I guess how to define intelligence would be quite controversial. But in general I'd like to think that doing better in exam exams means that you have a better knowledge and application of the relevant information.
It is interesting that as a general trend, the students on the more traditional courses tend to do better on the SJT. I wonder why? It does seem like there is a correlation between UCAS points for admission and FPAS points on exit- chief wiggum may be on to something!
Reply 583
Perhaps a potential link between BMAT performance and SJT performance? Do they test the same intellectual domains?
dont want to register with provisional gmc till i know i have passed finals. The deadline is a few days after reults are released.
Original post by mrknowknow
dont want to register with provisional gmc till i know i have passed finals. The deadline is a few days after reults are released.

What's the deadline? Can't find it anywhere.

And get on it! Too late to change owt now :smile:
Original post by DexterM
What's the deadline? Can't find it anywhere.

And get on it! Too late to change owt now :smile:

Hi Dexter,
I have been too stressed and think I may not cope if I had another retake. My worst fear is not making it through. That is why I am so confused whether to register or not.
Deadline is last week in May
I have to register before my exams too.
This is a thick question, but I'm fried from revision, for date of commencing work, my date is after the 29th - we have to start on the 28th but the conditional offer of employment is from the 30th and that is when my employer has told us to have it in place by - but the date the GMC want for their form has to be before the 29th July.... So do I just put the 28th?
They say always ask the stupid question!
Original post by TheRabbit
I have to register before my exams too.
This is a thick question, but I'm fried from revision, for date of commencing work, my date is after the 29th - we have to start on the 28th but the conditional offer of employment is from the 30th and that is when my employer has told us to have it in place by - but the date the GMC want for their form has to be before the 29th July.... So do I just put the 28th?
They say always ask the stupid question!

I asked and got told it was from the date of employment and not the date of shadowing (for me anyway!) BUT as you say the GMC only lets you put in dates up to a certain point so I just thought "well sod it" and put the 28th of July. That way absolutely nothing can go wrong, and if I'm one week off finishing my FY1 within the required time of 3 years or whatever, so be it!
Anyone else feeling down about finishing medical school? I'm so looking forward to F1 but still am just mourning all the good times and regretting the things I didn't do etc. I'm guessing this is reasonably normal? :tongue:
Reply 591
Original post by Irishmed12
Hey all,

Congrats everyone on getting offers.
Irish student here planning on moving over. Have been allocated to South Thames deanery and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or opinions on the London Hospitals in the South Thames deanery (Kings, Guys, Lewisham etc)

Hi also an EU/Irish graduate also with an offer in South Thames. Find it hard to find any information on the Foundation School/Training as in what it is like and worried about the move of London....I know London a little and lived there many years ago to do a Masters and found it very lonely...I do not know anyone in London..... Maybe I should reapplying next year to a smaller foundation school where I am in one place for two years or apply in Ireland but liked the idea of training in the UK but now just worried that I will be bery isolated...If anyone has any suggestions or information would be much appreciated. Not sure what the prospects are after foundation training for longer term training?? ...
(edited 8 years ago)
do most choose deaneries based on location?

is there an unspoken ranking of deaneries by specialty? e.g. the best deanery for general surgery is....

is that even a thing? any help would be appreciated
Original post by silverhorse
do most choose deaneries based on location? yes

is there an unspoken ranking of deaneries by specialty? e.g. the best deanery for general surgery is.... no

is that even a thing? no

People also play the numbers game to an extent, i.e. 'my EPM and a decent SJT score might scrape me into [X competitive deanery], but I'd rather get my first choice rotation in [Y relatively less competitive deanery]
Original post by Blatant Troll
People also play the numbers game to an extent, i.e. 'my EPM and a decent SJT score might scrape me into [X competitive deanery], but I'd rather get my first choice rotation in [Y relatively less competitive deanery]

Thanks for the succinct, informative answer.

I overlooked that people allocated to each deanery would be placed in different sub-hospitals. How does that sub-selection process work?
Original post by silverhorse
Thanks for the succinct, informative answer.
I overlooked that people allocated to each deanery would be placed in different sub-hospitals. How does that sub-selection process work?

Once you're into a deanery, you rank all (or as many as you like) of the jobs in that deanery in order of your preference. That deanery then goes through its list of applicants using the same score to assign jobs: they go from the highest scorer to the lowest scorer assigning the job that is the highest they ranked that is still not taken by someone else with a higher score.
(edited 8 years ago)
Given you have the rank all the deaneries, most would say location is important. London is quite popular, so some may put all of the London deaneries top, and perhaps the local south east ones like East Anglia and Oxford next.

Ultimately you come out with the same competencies at the end of F2, so I don't think that any one deanery will be "better" than another. That said, the quality monitoring surveys rank Northern and Peninsula quite highly for satisfaction. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I personally wanted an Academic job in the South West, so it was fairly easy from that point of view in applying and ranking the academic jobs in that area. I applied for Thames academic as well, I think for the "might as well" factor. Didn't get in anyway and wasn't that keen on their academic programmes. This just demonstrates how it is a real personal preference!
Hey, I'm considering one of the London deaneries as my first choice for FP 2016. I was wondering if anyone knows how likely it is to get both years in London (more specifically for NE or South Thames)
Original post by billet-doux
Hey, I'm considering one of the London deaneries as my first choice for FP 2016. I was wondering if anyone knows how likely it is to get both years in London (more specifically for NE or South Thames)

You won't, unless you have special circumstances. How far out you go is a bit more variable.
Original post by crazylemon
NE about 1/3 are london london jobs. But One of those londons will be something like Queens (So not central).

South thames it is technically possible, but very few jobs and 800ish people in total.

NCT and NWT are you best bet for staying vaguely in london for 2 years.

Ah, fair enough. I managed to stay in London in STFS, but only with special circs, and even that was zone 5.

Latest

Trending

Trending