The Student Room Group

This World Cup is so boring, totally lacking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Multitalented me
What WC have you been watching? This has been very good compared to the last few, it's a shame about England's early exit & some of the refereeing decisions though.

Is it? Group A ... Chile join the last 16 instead of Spain. Group B ... Mexico and Brazil instead of Croatia ... Group C ... Colombia and Ivory Coast by the looks of it ... Group D ... Costa Rica and potentially Uruguay instead of Italy and England ... Group E .. potentially Ecuador instead of Switzerland ... Group F is Argentina and Nigeria instead of Bosnia ... Group G we lost Portugal Group H is looking like Algeria and Russia to miss out.

Looks like it's just the S. American sides and a couple African teams who are progressing which is kind of proving my point tbh.

Chile
Mexico
Colombia
Ivory Coast
Ecuador
Nigeria
Uruguay
Costa Rica
Algeria

That's 9 rather unexciting and predominantly S. American sides going through to the last 16. Not very exciting and few European teams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Xinho
Is it? Group A ... Chile join the last 16 instead of Spain. Group B ... Mexico and Brazil instead of Croatia ... Group C ... Colombia and Ivory Coast by the looks of it ... Group D ... Costa Rica and potentially Uruguay instead of Italy and England ... Group E .. potentially Ecuador instead of Switzerland ... Group F is Argentina and Nigeria instead of Bosnia ... Group G we lost Portugal Group H is looking like Algeria and Russia to miss out.

Looks like it's just the S. American sides and a couple African teams who are progressing which is kind of proving my point tbh.

Chile
Mexico
Colombia
Ivory Coast
Ecuador
Nigeria
Uruguay
Costa Rica
Algeria

That's 9 rather unexciting and predominantly S. American sides going through to the last 16. Not very exciting and few European teams.

nope

Also Colombia and Chile are exciting

In 2010 Mexico, Uruguay, Chile were all in the last 16. Along with South korea, Slovakia, Paraguay,
(edited 9 years ago)
yep I totally agree with you! so disappointed with spain

Original post by Xinho
In terms of 4 things.

1) The gameplay is slowww (the heat)

2) Refs doing bottlejobs and going easy on yellows/reds. Neymar should have seen red against Croatia, not to mention it wasn't a penalty etc. Godin yesterday should have been off for Uruguay. Just now Costa Rica should have had a penalty when Campbell was fouled. I keep seeing soft touch decisions. It just seems odd. They seem to be not wanting to give out yellow/reds at any opportunity and making alot of strange decisions.

2) The legends are missing. We used to see people like Henry, Zidane, Figo, Vieri, Totti, Del Piero, Nedved, Raul, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Seedorf, Davids etc etc .. even Ukraine had Shevchenko. Where are the legends of today? I kind of feel like something is missing there. From Henry and Zidane to Giroud and Moussa Sissoko. From Ronaldo and Kaka to Fred and Paulinho. Even Spain are missing the old Torres and Villa. Nigeria used to have JJ Okocha, Kanu, Oliseh .. now they have who? I just feel like there's a lack of personality in alot of these squads.

3) The big teams have been extremely disappointing. Spain, let's not go there. Absolutely atrocious. Brazil for me, have been poor - and for a Brazilian side totally boring. Fred? Jo? They used to have Ronaldo and Ronaldinho .. what happened?! They are very average and unbrazilian like. Argentina were outplayed by Bosnia & Herzegovina. Another disappointment. Italy just lost to Costa Rica and might join Spain and England in leaving the group stage.

Only Holland of the bigger sides have been EXCITING and look interesting. Otherwise this is a very dull World Cup so far. Every 11pm kick off gets more and more depressing. Last night it was Japan vs Greece (awful game), tonight it is Honduras vs Ecuador.

Whose looking forward to Ivory Coast vs Costa Rica in the last 16?? I ain't!
Reply 43
Original post by hello101010
nope

Also Colombia and Chile are exciting

In 2010 Mexico, Uruguay, Chile were all in the last 16. Along with South korea, Slovakia, Paraguay,

Well it isn't European.

Edit: One team I haven't seen is Colombia so hard to comment but they're not exactly Argentina excitement.

Chile are not exciting. They play with the same blueprint as the other S. American sides ... be extremely fit, be hard to beat, use the climate to your advantage, dive and play act, fight till the end and pinch a goal if lucky.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not that bad, now tennis is boring
Original post by Xinho
Well it isn't European.

Edit: One team I haven't seen is Colombia so hard to comment but they're not exactly Argentina excitement.

Chile are not exciting. They play with the same blueprint as the other S. American sides ... be extremely fit, be hard to beat, use the climate to your advantage, dive and play act, fight till the end and pinch a goal if lucky.

If you only want to watch European teams then wait till 2016. Why the **** you watching the WORLD cup?

Some people are honestly regarded on this forum
Original post by Xinho
Well it isn't European.

They're not as exciting as a team that struggled to a 1-0 win over Iran?
Enough with these hipster opinion topics.

most of us are enjoying this, and it seems to be the general consensus everywhere on social media that this world cup has so far been excellent.

don't be a cynical hipster bastard all your life

enjoy life breh
Reply 48
Original post by Xinho
Well it isn't European.

Add Costa Rica to the list. Just like Chile but ****ter.

They're not as exciting as a team that struggled to a 1-0 win over Iran?

Iran parked the bus. Got a few counter attacks but as a Chelsea fan it's clear that it's next to impossible to get a domineering result vs a team like that.
Reply 49
Original post by Thugnificent.
Enough with these hipster opinion topics.

most of us are enjoying this, and it seems to be the general consensus everywhere on social media that this world cup has so far been excellent.

don't be a cynical hipster bastard all your life

enjoy life breh

It's not even hipster, I preferred the euros personally.

Won't prefer the euros this time though, they've messed it up by adding more teams personally.

The last 16 is going to look **** for the WC and if the big teams get knocked out there we're just going to be looking at two teams with little ability on the ball just run around, dive and get a goal out of their strikers. The most fit team is who will win the WC.

At least with the big teams if one is bus parking, they have better ability in possession and are more capable of breaking them down.
Reply 50
Original post by jam278
It's not even hipster, I preferred the euros personally.

Won't prefer the euros this time though, they've messed it up by adding more teams personally.

The last 16 is going to look **** for the WC and if the big teams get knocked out there we're just going to be looking at two teams with little ability on the ball just run around, dive and get a goal out of their strikers. The most fit team is who will win the WC.

At least with the big teams if one is bus parking, they have better ability in possession and are more capable of breaking them down.

Lol you are such a hipster. The teams that are going through to the knockouts deserve to be there. The big teams have not been turning up. Plus, this is just way more entertaining, there has been so much drama. It's great.
Reply 51
Original post by C.Almasy
Lol you are such a hipster. The teams that are going through to the knockouts deserve to be there. The big teams have not been turning up. Plus, this is just way more entertaining, there has been so much drama. It's great.

Drama as in poor refereeing. Prandelli is probably going to get sacked tomorrow undeservedly.

I don't want to watch Costa Rica vs Ivory Coast. These ties are bull****.

Whoever runs around the most is the team that wins the match, little technical ability required.
Original post by jam278
Drama as in poor refereeing. Prandelli is probably going to get sacked tomorrow undeservedly.

Whoever runs around the most is the team that wins the match, little technical ability required.

The last one had Paraguay vs Japan :dontknow: there's always gonna be ties like that
Reply 53
Original post by jam278

I want to see an underdog win the WC for once, like an African team, Ghana are my pick. Alternatively, Argentina winning the WC in Brazil, in the Maracana :coma: . None of the teams I really like have left the tournament apart from England.
Reply 54
The last one had Paraguay vs Japan :dontknow: there's always gonna be ties like that

Original post by C.Almasy
I want to see an underdog win the WC for once, like an African team, Ghana are my pick. Alternatively, Argentina winning the WC in Brazil, in the Maracana :coma: . None of the teams I really like have left the tournament apart from England.

Ok we're friends now. :smile:

Yeah 4 years ago I said Argentina to win it. But I think either France or Brazil will win the competition. Brazil vs Argentina final will be boss though but they don't really have enough for me to say that they'll win.

I like Italy personally so was annoyed to see them go out.
Original post by jam278

Yeah 4 years ago I said Argentina to win it. But I think either France or Brazil will win the competition. Brazil vs Argentina final will be boss though but they don't really have enough for me to say that they'll win.

Italy have been knocked out unfairly
Reply 56
Italy have been knocked out unfairly

But that adds to the drama and excitement though. :rolleyes:
Original post by jam278
But that adds to the drama and excitement though. :rolleyes:

I hate that argument so much :lol:

Is this WC significantly worse than the last for refereeing decisions? I can't really remember too many at the last one bar the obvious Lampard one
Reply 58
I hate that argument so much :lol:

Is this WC significantly worse than the last for refereeing decisions? I can't really remember too many at the last one bar the obvious Lampard one

Me too, which is why I'm not sold on this world cup. It's better than 2010 though.

I remember when the refs were struggling to be heard by the players when he whistled because of the vuvuzelas but not too many controversial decisions.
Reply 59
Original post by jam278

Supporting Ghana because of this tbh:

Frimmy should be first team.

Quick Reply

Latest