The Student Room Group

Newcastle United Society Thread III

Scroll to see replies

I never really understood why so many Newcastle fans disliked Pardew. They hounded him out and the club has gone from bad to worse. Yesterday's result must have felt so sweet for him.
Original post by Quantex
I never really understood why so many Newcastle fans disliked Pardew. They hounded him out and the club has gone from bad to worse. Yesterday's result must have felt so sweet for him.

It's a lot more nuanced than that sadly. Pardew is a good manager but he absolutely had to go. At any other club he would have been sacked long before Palace came and poached him. People have this warped view that he was hounded out for being a cockney after a few bad results, whereas in reality we were utter dross for 2 and a half years give or take a couple of half decent runs.

No doubt it will have felt sweet for him yesterday but hey-ho. I still wish him all the best though but he will be found out again eventually. Be that at Palace or when he ends up getting the England job.
I'm actually finding it hard to get angry at anyone other than the players this season. I'm just more sad/despairing at the whole situation.

I personally think that everything post-Pardew has been handled pretty sensibly from the boardroom for a change, it's just that nothing has worked at all. Carver deserved a shot at it and no one could have foreseen how badly that would go. We were in a solid position and it made sense to bring in the new manager at the end of the season. Fair enough. Appointing McClaren - steady pair of hands, pretty solid CV, happy to work with/under Charnley and Carr... fair enough again no complaints there. Allow him to put his own backroom team together. Excellent again. £45m net spend in the summer, quality over quantity... Brilliant. Probably could have done with another defender but fair enough we looked OK on paper.

We should have been nicely set up for a steady lower mid-table transitional type season but of course it never really works out like that here does it.
Changing the manager clearly doesn't work, so there's something inherently wrong within the footballing culture of the club. It may not be the owners, either, given the fact they've been pretty quiet since Pardew left. It's likely to do with the professionalism and work ethic which has been ingrained. Lethargy/apathy becomes rooted, and it is tough to shift. We saw in the 90s how people like Wenger were hailed as modernists for changing things like footballers diets, attitudes to drinking etc. Players sometimes don't want to change. They don't want to work hard.

"best appointment since Sir Alex" doesn't mean much considering we've made two awful appointments since then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
"best appointment since Sir Alex" doesn't mean much considering we've made two awful appointments since then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is very true. I suppose he's right then in that respect.
Original post by scriggy
Yeah that is very true. I suppose he's right then in that respect.

I'm just glad Pardew isn't Scottish tbh otherwise our idiot board would go for him
Come on lads. Win this one for us poorly run big clubs with **** owners.
How many we getting beat by today then? 3-0? 4-0?

Absolutely no confidence that this isn't going to be a mauling.
A lead? Really?
GIIIIINNNNNIIIIII!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Miles onside. Lucky lucky lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Real nice ball from Sissoko
Yessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank **** for Gini Wijnaldum

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought you were excellent today. Really excellent.

You soaked up pressure when you needed to, but also showed promise and enterprise going forward. The harder you work, the better your results and the more luck you end up getting. Today, you got the rub of the green.

That said, your work ethic and determination was excellent. You can't afford not to build on this now. We saw good results and performances at St. James' against Chelsea and Norwich respectively, but the players have shown how they can perform and now they must do it consistently.

Spurs away next week will be a tough ask, and you've had false starts before. You need to stop taking one step forward and two back. Try and get some momentum.
Mackay is always humble in defeat, top guy
Original post by TornadoGR4
Mackay is always humble in defeat, top guy

Just seen this. Cheers mate. I agree with Klopp, really. Football's great, but it's not life or death. There's more important things to worry about.

And, compared to clubs like Leeds and Coventry and Bolton, I've had a very, very fortunate life supporting Liverpool.
Original post by Mackay
I thought you were excellent today. Really excellent.

You soaked up pressure when you needed to, but also showed promise and enterprise going forward. The harder you work, the better your results and the more luck you end up getting. Today, you got the rub of the green.

That said, your work ethic and determination was excellent. You can't afford not to build on this now. We saw good results and performances at St. James' against Chelsea and Norwich respectively, but the players have shown how they can perform and now they must do it consistently.

Spurs away next week will be a tough ask, and you've had false starts before. You need to stop taking one step forward and two back. Try and get some momentum.

Obviously begs the question why we don't work that hard every week. Or at least most weeks!

But yeah, really close game that could have gone either way. I actually think we tried to play quite similarly which led to us pressing each other out of the game, resulting in it becoming as scrappy as it was. Expected a lot more from you lot and I can see the frustration with Benteke. We looked really comfortable defensively until he was replaced, and we never look comfortable defensively haha.

Here's hoping we can build on this anyway and reach the heady heights of 17th soon enough.
Original post by scriggy
Obviously begs the question why we don't work that hard every week. Or at least most weeks!

But yeah, really close game that could have gone either way. I actually think we tried to play quite similarly which led to us pressing each other out of the game, resulting in it becoming as scrappy as it was. Expected a lot more from you lot and I can see the frustration with Benteke. We looked really comfortable defensively until he was replaced, and we never look comfortable defensively haha.

Here's hoping we can build on this anyway and reach the heady heights of 17th soon enough.

I think it's the psyche of your players. If they feel fed up with life in the North-East, or feel themselves to be bigger than Newcastle, it's easy to see why they'd turn up for games against Chelsea and Liverpool (the supposed elite) rather than mid-table sides.

Quick Reply

Latest