The Student Room Group

HOW TO ASK A GIRL OUT? Let's come up with a definite guide..

How do you ask a girl out in the following scenarios? I am a complete novice here.

1. You just met her at a conference
2. You just met her freshers week
3. You just met her at a friend's party or a social gathering
4. You've just met her, and you want to be part of her life whether it be friendship or girlfriend. You don't want rejection!
5. You've known her for a while/ are friends with her friends and she's become single.
6. She's friends with one of your friends and you don't know how to hint that you like her!

What exactly do you say? I'm at uni. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to dating or asking girls out.

Scroll to see replies

"Hey, do you wanna grab dinner or a drink sometime?"

That is a fairly definitive way of asking a girl out. Only the densest of people could not treat that as an offer of a date.

Hope this was helpful.
Buy her a few drinks, then if she's pissed enough you might get away with "grab your coat luv - you've pulled!"
At Uni, it's far easier. Without trying to sound like a pick-up artist. If there's a girl you're attracted to in any of the settings listed above, just say something along the lines of "Hey, i noticed you over there and just wanted to say you look really nice/pretty"...She'll say thanks...then maybe comment on one of her features trying to guess what country she's from etc...then kick off a convo from there by either getting her number/asking for a date. It's more acceptable in an environment such as a party etc, than just off the street.
Original post by Over2you
At Uni, it's far easier. Without trying to sound like a pick-up artist. If there's a girl you're attracted to in any of the settings listed above, just say something along the lines of "Hey, i noticed you over there and just wanted to say you look really nice/pretty"...She'll say thanks...then maybe comment on one of her features trying to guess what country she's from etc...then kick off a convo from there by either getting her number/asking for a date. It's more acceptable in an environment such as a party etc, than just off the street.

would a gig work?
Original post by jonathanemptage
would a gig work?

Any social situation where people are coming together to meet is fine. Just don't do it on the street as many people get freaked out by that.
Reply 6
Subbed. Lets have proper responses here for once, this will actually help the majority of guys here.
I wouldn't. I'd rather be asked out (and there's like 1 in a million chance of that happening :wink:
Get rich and powerful, then wait until she asks you. There are no ugly men, only poor ones.
Original post by kumon
Subbed. Lets have proper responses here for once, this will actually help the majority of guys here.

Do this! ^
Reply 10
Original post by kumon

Retweet!

Agreed. The TSR Definitive guide to asking someone out!
"Do you gotta bae or nah?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rent a Lamborghini for one day and pick up girls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by pshah2
How do you ask a girl out in the following scenarios? I am a complete novice here.

These three are pretty much the same. Just tell her "let's [do whatever it is] sometime" or "I'm doing [whatever it is] on [whenever], you should come along." Better to lead rather than ask her permission. If she doesn't want to she can still say no thanks.

Original post by pshah2
4. You've just met her, and you want to be part of her life whether it be friendship or girlfriend. You don't want rejection!

If you don't want rejection then you aren't ready to ask someone out. Like it or not rejection is on the cards and trying to avoid it will only lead you down the path of being just friends.

Original post by pshah2
5. You've known her for a while/ are friends with her friends and she's become single.

Same as 1-3. Don't make a big deal out of it.

Original post by pshah2
6. She's friends with one of your friends and you don't know how to hint that you like her!

Tell her, "you're cute." Then ask her as in 1-3.

Original post by pshah2
What exactly do you say? I'm at uni. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to dating or asking girls out.

What to say isn't much the problem - it's actually saying it and not being a wuss. If you're hesitant, make a big deal out of it or play it too safe, it will hurt your chances.
Reply 14
Original post by miser
These three are pretty much the same. Just tell her "let's [do whatever it is] sometime" or "I'm doing [whatever it is] on [whenever], you should come along." Better to lead rather than ask her permission. If she doesn't want to she can still say no thanks.

If you don't want rejection then you aren't ready to ask someone out. Like it or not rejection is on the cards and trying to avoid it will only lead you down the path of being just friends.

Same as 1-3. Don't make a big deal out of it.

Tell her, "you're cute." Then ask her as in 1-3.

What to say isn't much the problem - it's actually saying it and not being a wuss. If you're hesitant, make a big deal out of it or play it too safe, it will hurt your chances.

This is solid advice. Thanks!

Yes I guess you just have to pluck up your courage, tap her on the shoulder and go for it...nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Reply 15
Original post by pshah2

i think this is useful i wrote this on my old account but i cant member the password.

Be confident
this means not stuttering, holding your self in a weird way, standing awkwardly, fidgeting, wobbly voice, struggling to control voice pitch, errrmmming umming and ahhhing. give the right amount of eye contact. meaning dont stare at here too much thats creepy and dont look at the floor all the time like ur being told off. a good habit would be to make sure your face doesnt look down. break eye contact by looking at different things like whats in her hands her shoes maybe stuff thats around her or in the background behind her. but keep ur face engaged in her direction. and what ever you do dont look at ur phone your watch or behind you. also dont apoligise. dont come up to her saying sorry - your doing nothing wrong. she might look at you stunned that someone has approached her in public or what ever but just remember "this is normal" you are the one doing the normal thing and behaving normally.

a good example of this is i went into a shop recently to ask for bacon sandwich without any butter. i was confident. i new what i had said and that there was nothing odd about what i said. i knew i had said it clearly and loudly not shouting but loud enough to be heard clearly to cut through the noise of the kitchen and other customers chatting.
the dude behind the till looked at me blankly like there was something wrong with me and said "what?" staring right back at him and now looking at him like an impatient parent that hasn't got time for foolish games. i calmly and patronisingly repeated myself. the whole situation dawned on the guy and he quickly scurried off looking down at the floor as he mentally went over the situation in his head realising he was a retard for not understanding the simple modification to "not include butter" into a bacon sandwich.

thats an example of confidence. holding your ground and knowing that what you said and did was perfectly acceptable and normal by civil standards. when the guy said "what" a lot of people would have become submissive and just chuckled innocently like they were clumsy in what they said and repeat themselves bashfully.

oh yea and remember all women think they are ugly. its true. they really do. they talk a lot of ****. but they do.

NEVER take advice on women from women. women are the biggest liers on the planet. guys might lie about one off serious things. but women lie a lot about little to big things basically everything.

the very nature of high heels and eyelashes fake nails make up dyed hair is all essentially lies.

also women will tell you what they like. not what women like. and not only that. but they'll tell you what they like, at that moment on that day. her mood and tastes will swing from one branch to the other so dont pay attention to any of it.

ask men advice on women because men have a much broader and general experience of what works with "most women"

women dont like submissive men. they like alpha males.
keep in mind theres a difference between being a bully and not being submissive. one is passive one is aggressive.

Be decisively spoken but with suave.
meaning don't just talk clearly talk like a darlic. put some character in there. a lot of it is timing. having good convo rythem. a bit like comedians and radio presenters do. its all about timing.

try and use charm. this could be pulling subtle expressions. like having a cheeky smirk showing a lil teeth. or having ur eye lids
slightly lowered. the teeth showing is subtle because women are attracted to me with good teeth. it shoes ur healthy and strong and in good physical condition. obviously you dont want to just grin at her so use lil teeth showing smirks.

appearance.
if you really want girls? buy a copy of heat or something and check out all the dudes in it. look at all the famous hearthrop celebs and how they dress. you may think they are dressing like a ****. but sadly this is what chicks dig. they say they like guys to be different but really thats just bull****. womens own personal taste is completely over ridden by the mass programmng of the media. dress how the media says attractive men dress. and you cant go wrong.

if your confused good to top shop. explain that your looking for a "new look" and to try and dress differently as you dont particularly care for fashion and all your friends have told you you need to get more "current". explain this to the staff member that you think is the hottest there. then let her dress you. come out let her judge you. if she thinks you need something different or smaller or larger sizes then go for it. buy the whole outfit and ur set. as for ur hair go to ur student union ask them for a good barbers they should point you in the right direction. then go to the barbers with ur new out fit and ask for something that suits ur new look.

then hey presto ur looking the way women like.

keep in mind these are all just tips. you dont have to do any of this. just if you do all of them ur highly likely to have success.

also if ur feeling brave tattoos and piercings are all the rage now.

know your audience.
know what type of girl ur speaking too.

is she a hippy?
is she one of those girls that dresses like a skater chick who listens to my chemical romance?
is she a raver? is she the kind that likes to go to ibiza and dance around topless with glowsticks to trance music?
is she just a generic pop girl into glee and lady gaga?
is she into black music like bahsment or RNB?

chatting to all races is cool. but my two no no races would be this.
oriental chicks. approach oriental chicks by all means. but only bother holding conversation with them if they have british accents. if they have intense chinese accents and are fresh from whereever just ask her for directions or if she has the time or something and say thanks and move on.

on a side note those are important two. sometimes girls are uglier when you get up close to them. or they have a stupid voice. or something just generally repulsive that makes you change your mind about them. when this happens switch your approach to asking directions somewhere or asking the time. works like a charm.

the other group of women id stay away from is indian/arab women.
they tend to be either have islam where a personality should be. or they have a complete raving identity crisis.
many asian girls rather than being unique and asian just steal things from black girls and white girls and black and white culture. you will often find asian girls mimicing black girls but then will find they have more of a racist biggoted view of black people than most white people you have ever met. so generally they all have raving identity crisises.

this is cool if you just want a quick shag. as they are by far the most insecure out of all the women i have ever met. this often means that they will let you inbetween their legs at the drop of a hat and often appreciate what ever attention they are given. also some of them have bizzar ideas when it comes to chastity and sex. you may come across one that is a virgin. but has anal and oral sex all the time. ur probably more likely to get a blowy fromer than full on sex.

but it also means you have to put up with talking to a babbling lunatic the whole time and run the risk of some crazed bunny boiler repeatedly calling your phone afterwords.

anyway back to the tips

conversation wise should you know your audience go kinda well.
however if ur not good at judgeing thats cool. nothing beats being well spoken and polite.
be clear that you are asking for her number and this is you chatting her up. just be clear and be normal in ur conversation.

ask her if she has a man.
this is a great way of being rejected in a way that keeps ur dignety intact.

if she is interested she will say no.
if shes not interested she will say yes.

she may very well have a boyfriend too.

but it allows you to exit gracefully in a "oh what a shame, oh well, see you around" kinda way.

compliment her.

if you can try and make her laugh. you will get major points for this.

get in and get out quick. dont linger. have it short and sweet and leave her wanting to talk to you. that whey when you call her it'll be a welcome phone call.

another thing about keeping it short is that the longer u talk with her the more chances you have to mess up and make a fool of ur self. so keep it short and sweet. BUT SWEET. dont just get he rnumber like a swat team snatch and grab excercise.

also if she rejects you exit gracefully like its no big deal and ur fine with it. be pleasent. stay smiling. almost like when someone gives you a ****ty present that you dont really want but you dont want to offend them so you pretend its great.

i have actually had girls turn around and change their mind because ive been charming with my gracefully understanding that she isnt interested.

some times women just reject you because they feel put on the spot and their not expecting to be chatted up. they are startled and its sometimes just an immediate reaction before theyve even decided if they like you or not.

get a black berry.
a lot of girls will not be willing to give out their number but will be willing to give you their BB pin.

practice
chat up girls. go out there. do it. get some practice.
chat up any girl whether shes ugly or not. ur just getting her number. you can always cold shoulder her if ur not interested.
dont feel bad about it cause trust me it will happen to you.
in fact chatting up girls you dont find attractive is a great confidence booster as you dont care that youve been rejected.
try and chat up as varied an amount of girls as you can.

see it as learning to walk.
you have to take little baby steps. you'll get there. you might fall flat on ur face but you'll learn.
it doesnt happen over night.
but breaking ur nervousness will be key.

also remember if you stop doing it for a while you'll find ur self getting nervous again.
it happens just sometimes you feel off and not ready.

but yea push your self out ur comfort zone. if people weren't brave not much would get accomplished.

that would be my advice on getting girls
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by fojodef
say this

lol
Reply 17
Original post by fojodef
say this

hahaha

i think you should check this out: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=48414493&highlight=footjob
Reply 18
Original post by pshah2
This is solid advice. Thanks!

Yes I guess you just have to pluck up your courage, tap her on the shoulder and go for it...nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I'd say it's usually better to chat for a little while before you ask because it establishes some common ground (i.e. a reason to ask other than you like her looks). A bit of flirting so that she is attracted to you. Then once you've got the ball rolling she'll be more likely to say yes.

The keys to this kind of stuff are to not be approval seeking or make it seem like you're too anxious since these things communicate insecurity. But other than that, yeah just go for it. The more regularly you do it, the less of a big deal becomes. Try to come at it from the mindset of knowing you have a great life regardless of the outcome of this particular interaction. A lot of this stuff is about having an attractive attitude. The most important thing is to think you're worth the chance (don't make excuses).
Try to be as clear as possible.
Perhaps say "do you want to go on a date?"
It sounds awkward, but if you've got the swag to pull it off then do.

When guys say do you want to meet up/go for a drink, I often correctly suspect theyre after "a good time." And I mean there's
nothing wrong with wanting sex, but make it clear that's what you're after.
Friendship, relationship, "good times"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending