The Student Room Group

Academia - What is your motivation?

My motivation is the idea of studying at Oxbridge, I wouldn't mind not going there as I get decent grades out of the hard work nevertheless.
I also enjoy learning and producing notes, especially with maths and the sciences.

I'm just wondering, what are your guys' motivation for working hard?

Scroll to see replies

I tend to lack motivation which makes things hard, but I guess the thought of failure slightly pushes me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
My motivation was that I wanted to get a scholarship and leave this stupid country but I'm starting to like it now so motivation began to lapse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh I'm only actually motivated to do things that I already like, couldn't give a **** about any topics that don't catch my attention straight away
Yeah i guess the primary source of motivation is the idea of failure... I tend not to be motivated but i still push myself because i know it has to be done... its motivation but not motivation in a way... I motivate myself to be motivated to do good XD
Original post by Angelo12231
Yeah i guess the primary source of motivation is the idea of failure... I tend not to be motivated but i still push myself because i know it has to be done... its motivation but not motivation in a way... I motivate myself to be motivated to do good XD

:K: Whatever works for you :wink:
Original post by Strom
My motivation is the idea of studying at Oxbridge, I wouldn't mind not going there as I get decent grades out of the hard work nevertheless.
I also enjoy learning and producing notes, especially with maths and the sciences.

I'm just wondering, what are your guys' motivation for working hard?

Same actually! Pretty much for all of that. Also because I know I can do well so I don't really want to 'waste' that.

Completely random but... Is your username purposefully spelt like that? :tongue:

Original post by Arithmeticae
Tbh I'm only actually motivated to do things that I already like, couldn't give a **** about any topics that don't catch my attention straight away

Surely that's pointless though?
Original post by Angelo12231
Yeah i guess the primary source of motivation is the idea of failure...
I motivate myself to be motivated to do good XD

Same :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have younger siblings.

I have to be a good role model and sheeeeet
Reply 8
I'm motivated by the fact I love my subject, and that I want to perform exceedingly well in it, revising isn't a chore for me, especially when it comes to mathematics
Reply 9
The idea of having a good future. People have way more fun that I do in their youth by partying all the time whereas I don't. I motivate myself by telling myself that in the future they will be the ones who are screwed in life whereas I will have prepared myself. (I am slowly believing this not to be true seeing as the ones who haven't worked as hard go straight into employment whereas I will end up massively in debt after university and maybe unable to get a job due to the economy)
Maybe I am losing my motivation...
Original post by karmacrunch
Same actually! Pretty much for all of that. Also because I know I can do well so I don't really want to 'waste' that.

Completely random but... Is your username purposefully spelt like that? :tongue:

Surely that's pointless though?

Same :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

xD Yeah it is :cool:
Volcanology.
Original post by SamTheMan95
I have younger siblings.

I have to be a good role model and sheeeeet

Same:cool:
Money is my motivation.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Money is my motivation.

Why?
Original post by Spelly456
Why?

Because I want a Bentley and they cost a fortune.
I moved school from a place I was super average and I topped the first test after arriving. I got a bit of a high off of that and went more than a little crazy about doing really well in every test because I'm a competitive arse. I also liked my subjects, but I'm not sure whether that's because I was good at them or because I actually found them interesting.
Original post by AlphaNick
my motivation was other people in my year showing off about their good grades

I also tend to get motivated by seeing other people do better than me and knowing that I'm also capable of doing that well. It helps that I get satisfaction out of doing well I guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I literally have no motivation . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Seeing good results at the end of the year and getting university offers.

Quick Reply

Latest