The Student Room Group

Too late to apply for different sixth form?

Hey everyone!

Basically, I'm having a bit of a dilemma about sixth form. I have chosen to stay at my current school's sixth form and accepted my place, but for months I have been pondering over whether to leave or not. My brother is starting year 7 this year at a different school which is about 10 miles closer to home (we moved a couple of years ago but I didn't want to leave then) and I've been thinking about going to where he is going as it has a smaller sixth form and is much closer to home. Also a few weeks ago I got told that I would have to switch my A Levels and choose a different subject due to options clashing which annoyed me as I was pretty set on what I wanted to study and looking at the option blocks that I was then given to look over, whatever subject I choose to drop/switch to, it will cause other problems for other subjects. The school I'm at now I have quite a nice group of friends, and some of my teachers are fantastic. However the other school is much closer to home, has a wider range of subjects (and the options I want to do don't clash) and it would be good to make friends that live closer to home as it's something I've struggled with since my family moved house in 2012. Also when I went and looked round the school about 6 months ago I was really taken aback by the enthusiasm of most of the teachers/students but I'm slightly worried about being in a completely different place with new people and worried I'd struggle to adjust? I'm predicted all A grades at GCSE and I'm a good student. Also both of the schools have similar figures results wise so it's not going from grammar to comp or something.

So basically, if I was to email them tomorrow/monday (whenever) and ask about applying there, do you think they would give me a chance?

SORRY FOR THE LENGTHY POST! PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE x
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I walked in to my college during enrollment (without applying beforehand). They looked at my grades and gave me a place.
I don't think that works for all colleges but if you're going to ask them beforehand, they will almost definitely consider. They really just need you to get the required grades and you're in.
Not too late at all. I had a disastrous AS level year so decided to switch schools. I ended up applying late August and was accepted. I had straight A*'s at GCSE though so met the entry requirements.
Reply 3
You'll have to check if there are still available places for your chosen subjects, but other than it should be fine. I also switched colleges after AS results and manage to find one that would take me a week before induction started. I do think that colleges are more lenient on this than sixth forms, but it's still worth asking them about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending