The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Chances of me getting into Imperial for EEE/EIE

Hey guys, so I'm thinking of doing EEE at university, and potentially EIE at Imperial. The thing is, what are the chances of me getting in.
I got good GCSE's (7A*s) but am worried about by A-level choices. Although I took maths and physics, I did not take further maths/electronics, though will take the AS in year 13 of further-maths.

If I get 4 A's this year for AS and A*A*A in Maths,physics and chemistry with an A in AS-further maths do you think they will accept me. I don't mind taking a gap year as I would rather be at a world class uni than a lowish russel-group. The other uni's i will apply to are Bristol, Southampton and loughborough, along with either Durham/UCL.
I desperately want to go to imperial, and am doing as much research into electronics and electricty at the moment, along with projects with my rasperry pi and a couple of work placements.

Thanks -sonnyjim
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone???
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
????
Imperial Site

A* in Mathematics

A in Physics

A in a third subject

The third subject can be any from the list below, but the preferred subject is Further Mathematics.
Acceptable third subjects: Applied ICT, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Computing, Design and Technology, Economics, Electronics, English Literature, Further Mathematics, Geography, History, Languages (Classical and Modern), Music Technology, Music, Statistics or Technology.

Information like this is very easily available on the Imperial site.
So, yes, your subjects make you eligible to apply for the course and receive an offer. What your chances are depends entirely on your grades this year and how you conduct yourself at interview; your choice of subjects is unlikely to disadvantage you much in this case.
Hey thanks, have you got an offer imperial. What will you he studying and what a levels have you taken?
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Hey thanks, have you got an offer imperial. What will you he studying and what a levels have you taken?

TL;DR: I studied Physics, Maths, Applied Maths: Mechanics (like doing all the Mechanics modules for Further Maths), and English at Scottish Advanced Higher Level (considered comparable to but slightly harder than A-Level), and received AAAA. My offer was AAA in Phys, Maths, and either of the other two subjects, for the 4-year Physics with Theoretical Physics MSci. For A-Level the offer would have been A*A*A.

Longer Version: I'll try to give some detail on my experience so you know what you're looking at, and to hopefully preemptively answer any other questions you might have.

I did Scottish Highers last year, which is roughly equivalent to AS-Level, in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English, and Psychology, and received A1A1A1A2A1 for those subjects respectively (we don't have an equivalent of the A* grade; instead, our "A" grade is split into two "bands", the upper A1, usually 85-100%, and the lower A2, usually 70-85%). This was enough to put me into the shortlist for an interview, which in Physics occurs for roughly 50% of applicants. However, the Electrical Engineering department interviews all applicants, so you're guaranteed to get to this stage. These interviews give you a chance to ask questions and get a tour of the campus, but will also contain an academic interview with a member of the department to test your ability. As you're not applying for Oxbridge, I'm assuming your application will go in for around January, meaning your interview will be on a Wednesday sometime between Jan and March.
They tell you they'll get back to you within two weeks of your interview. While this is true for some, do not panic if they do not. They took something like four bloody months to get back to me (interview in Nov, reply in Mar), though maybe that's because I was borderline and they weren't sure they wanted me! Point is, don't give up hope if they take ages to get back to you; in my experience, Imperial is pretty slow on bureaucratic/organisational stuff.
If you get an offer, as far as I can tell it will almost always be the "entry requirements" listed on the site. For EEE, this is as mentioned in my first post. Then it's down to you getting your grades!
Original post by AmisThysia
TL;DR: I studied Physics, Maths, Applied Maths: Mechanics (like doing all the Mechanics modules for Further Maths), and English at Scottish Advanced Higher Level (considered comparable to but slightly harder than A-Level), and received AAAA. My offer was AAA in Phys, Maths, and either of the other two subjects, for the 4-year Physics with Theoretical Physics MSci. For A-Level the offer would have been A*A*A.

Longer Version: I'll try to give some detail on my experience so you know what you're looking at, and to hopefully preemptively answer any other questions you might have.

I did Scottish Highers last year, which is roughly equivalent to AS-Level, in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English, and Psychology, and received A1A1A1A2A1 for those subjects respectively (we don't have an equivalent of the A* grade; instead, our "A" grade is split into two "bands", the upper A1, usually 85-100%, and the lower A2, usually 70-85%). This was enough to put me into the shortlist for an interview, which in Physics occurs for roughly 50% of applicants. However, the Electrical Engineering department interviews all applicants, so you're guaranteed to get to this stage. These interviews give you a chance to ask questions and get a tour of the campus, but will also contain an academic interview with a member of the department to test your ability. As you're not applying for Oxbridge, I'm assuming your application will go in for around January, meaning your interview will be on a Wednesday sometime between Jan and March.
They tell you they'll get back to you within two weeks of your interview. While this is true for some, do not panic if they do not. They took something like four bloody months to get back to me (interview in Nov, reply in Mar), though maybe that's because I was borderline and they weren't sure they wanted me! Point is, don't give up hope if they take ages to get back to you; in my experience, Imperial is pretty slow on bureaucratic/organisational stuff.
If you get an offer, as far as I can tell it will almost always be the "entry requirements" listed on the site. For EEE, this is as mentioned in my first post. Then it's down to you getting your grades!

Wow man thanks! Physics at imperial is a super-respected course and I'm sure you'll do well. I was more scared of the fact I haven't done further maths as an AS, but I'm taking it as an AS next year and dropping Biology (so essentially Maths, Chemistry, Physics and FM AS).

Its nice to know Imperial accept people that don't take all the maths for the "sciency" courses. I know people who have gotten into EEE without any further maths but am just worrying about what people are saying on here.

One last thing, you said imperial interviews almost all of the EEE applicants, however lots of people say after interviews the acceptance rate is like 60-70%, how is this true? Or do they all miss the offer?

Also did you take applied maths/mechanics in your last year of Scottish highers, or did you take it across the two, it sounds like you did maths/chem/phys/english at AS (essentially), and then all the maths in your final year. This is basically what I'm doing (if I'm allowed to drop Chem aswell and do FM to A2). Also I think I'll hand my application in October/November anyway (even if I don't apply to Cambridge) as may give me an advantage.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Wow man thanks! Physics at imperial is a super-respected course and I'm sure you'll do well. I was more scared of the fact I haven't done further maths as an AS, but I'm taking it as an AS next year and dropping Biology (so essentially Maths, Chemistry, Physics and FM AS).

Its nice to know Imperial accept people that don't take all the maths for the "sciency" courses. I know people who have gotten into EEE without any further maths but am just worrying about what people are saying on here.

One last thing, you said imperial interviews almost all of the EEE applicants, however lots of people say after interviews the acceptance rate is like 60-70%, how is this true? Or do they all miss the offer?

Also did you take applied maths/mechanics in your last year of Scottish highers, or did you take it across the two, it sounds like you did maths/chem/phys/english at AS (essentially), and then all the maths in your final year. This is basically what I'm doing (if I'm allowed to drop Chem aswell and do FM to A2). Also I think I'll hand my application in October/November anyway (even if I don't apply to Cambridge) as may give me an advantage.

Thank you! ^_^ Don't be worried. The attitude they seem to take is that the more maths you do for STEM courses, the better, but they won't disregard you out of hand for it. In other words, it stands you in good stead and strengthens your application, but isn't necessarily essential. You should definitely apply (assuming your AS grades are as predicted). The best advice is not to absolutely set your heart on a place as hard to get into as Imperial, and to apply to a couple of places you should have a very good chance of getting into as "backups".

They interview every single EEE applicant. Says so on the Electrical Engineering department's "application and interviews" page on the Imperial site. As for the acceptance rate, it will obviously depend on how many people apply versus how many places they have. However, in 2012 the ratio of applicants to admissions was 5.9 to 1.

Regarding my own qualifications, I seem to have miscommunicated, sorry! Just as there is both AS and A2, there is Higher and Advanced Higher. However, unlike AS&A2, Highers and Advanced Highers are completely separate - your grades at Higher have no effect on your Advanced Higher grades. Also, there is no "Further Maths" equivalent at Higher Level - you do it all in the one year, at Advanced Higher level.
So I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Psychology, and English at Higher, which is comparable to AS-Level, in Lower Sixth. I got the equivalent of four A*s and an A. I then did Maths, Physics, Applied Maths: Mechanics, and English at Advanced Higher, which is comparable to full A-Level, in Upper Sixth - and got four As, though some of them may be A*s (I don't know yet, have to ask my school.)

Handing in your application early gives you no advantage; the university is actually legally obliged to consider all applications equally, regardless of when they are handed in (as long as it's before the deadline). You may as well wait until January and spend the extra time perfecting your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending