The Student Room Group

How many options do you get?

At my school, we have to do maths, English (2 GCSE's), science (2 GCSE's), French and RE. We also get 3 options, which adds up to 10 GCSE's in total. However, I've heard a lot of people on here saying that they're doing 11/12, so how is that possible? Are people doing them privately or does their school just allow them to do more subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Some schools just allow more subjects, it's nothing to worry about :smile: you only 'need' 8 GCSE's, as a bare minimum, but many schools allow more. For example, my subjects are as follows (as you can tell it is a lot more than the 8 minimum, in fact double, a total of 16 when it is all said and done):-

Maths
Additional Maths
English Language
English Literature
Science (Triple)
Religious Studies
Functional Skills
History
Spanish
Drama
PSHEE
PE
Business Studies
Food Technology
Reply 2
Well at my school you get 2 for English, 2 for Maths (depending on your abikity), 3 for Science (also depending on ability) and 1 for Philosophy. We also get to choose 5 other subjects too. So 11 GCSE's as long as you pass. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my school you get two options, alongside the compulsory subjects of maths, double science, English lang, English lit, an MFL and RS. So the minimum anyone at my school is 9, or 8 of you do combined English. However, depending on your sets or choices you can do triple science, further maths, 2 MFLs, twilight music, twilight Italian, twilight Latin or you can choose one of your option blocks as a double award (health and social care or product design). So the maximum you would be able to take at my school would be about 15. I'm doing 13 because I took a few extra, I think most people there do about 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah my school also only allows 10. The people that do more than 10 gcses at my school have to do them privately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school do Maths, Additional Maths ( if you achieve a minimum of an A in the December mocks), Double Science (Core and Additional), Triple Science, English Language, English Literature, ECS, and four of your own options. For me, I'm taking a total of 9 GCSE's (excluding additional maths, which I would then start in January); Maths, English Lit, English Lang, Core Science, Additional Science, History, Art, ICT and Technology (Resistant Materials).
I will have 13 when I get my results...
It depends on which route you choose at my school. The maximum is 13:
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Triple Science (or double or single depending on ability and route)
ICT
RE
Further Maths (if in Gifted maths set)
+ 4 options

Posted from TSR Mobile
2 for maths, 2 for english, 3 for science, 2 for r.e. and i.c.t., and 4 options.
In Year Nine when we chose our options we were informed of the "English Baccalaureate" which was supposedly essential for our GCSE options. Therefore everyone was required to do: Science, English, Maths, a language and a humanity. Then we had two or three free options, depending on whether we did dual award science or triple science. The people in top maths set get to also do additional maths gcse- I'm quite glad I'm in middle set :tongue:
Original post by DaisyTwilight
At my school, we have to do maths, English (2 GCSE's), science (2 GCSE's), French and RE. We also get 3 options, which adds up to 10 GCSE's in total. However, I've heard a lot of people on here saying that they're doing 11/12, so how is that possible? Are people doing them privately or does their school just allow them to do more subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At my school it was compulsory to take English language, English literature, media studies, maths, religious studies, double or triple science and pe (not GCSE PE) plus 3 additional options like geography, French, technology etc.

We also had the opportunity to take Astronomy or Statistics GCSE short course after school on Thursdays but hardly anyone bothered!

Most of my year took 10-13 GCSE's.
We do two in English, two in Maths depending on your ability and Religion, then you get 5 options the majority come out with 9 GCSEs, some come out with 10, and few come out with 11-12

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
English Lang
English Lit
Maths
Additional Maths
Triple Science
French / RE
Geography / History
+ 2 options
Mine were ICT & Food Tech and I did French & Geography
So we get 11 at my school (at most) some of my friends are only getting like 6 so it really depends
Original post by DaisyTwilight

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not impossible... Sometimes the school will give you additional GCSE grades, i.e i did astronomy back in year 10. Also, if you do triple science then that is an extra one as well :smile:

All together, id have:
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
Bio
Chem
Phys
RE
Geography
Business
ICT
Astronomy
Citizenship (Short Course) +
Prep for working life (Short Course) = 1 GCSE

I took some **** ones just for the extra GCSEs
(edited 9 years ago)
At my school, the core exam curriculum for our year was:

Maths
English Language
English Literature
Core & Additional Science
RE & Citizenship short courses (one at the end of year 10, the other at the end of year 11)

There were also the usual PE and Careers lessons, but you weren't required or expected to take a qualification in these.

You could then choose four options - two of which were studied in year 10 and the other two in year 11. Triple science counted as an option and was mostly studied for in year 11. I also sat the FSMQ in Additional Maths this summer as an extra which I studied for by myself.

Quick Reply

Latest