The Student Room Group

My Work Experience!

Hey, sorry this is another thread asking if people think what work experience I've done is good enough, and I'd greatly appreciate the input from others.

I've done a week at a GP's surgery, though I wasnt allowed to do anything clinical just admin work. I've done a weeks work exp course on genetics and how genomes affect peoples health. I've also done volunteer work for the past year at a school for children with special needs and disabilities.

I think I've done a reasonable amount, but concerned at the lack of clinical work experiences and if that would count against me. What do you guys reckon?
Reply 1
You've got some relevant work experience for sure but there is always further room for improvement and experience.

It's a good start though, surely, and would already place you ahead of many other medicine applicants without any experience or exposure in the field.
Reply 2
A placement in a care home could be a good addition
Reply 3
i think you have done enough work experience..but however if could do in carehome/hospitals that would be brillant..anyway i have also done few like you. if you want to volunteer in hospital then you have to be 18yrs..
Reply 4
It sounds to me that you have some relevant and varied work experience, as always, the important bit comes afterwards when you write it up and talk about it at interview.
Reply 5
Thanks for your advice guys, I'm looking into getting a hospital work experience for next half term coming up, so altho it will be after I send my personal statement, it will be before any interviews. And age isn't an issue as I'm already 18 (had to resit a year due to illness, the illness being what sparked my interest in medicine in the first place and will most probably be coming up in the ol' personal statement).

I shall look into getting a place at a care home, looks like a sound piece of advice. Any more opinions and advice is welcome. :smile:
Reply 6
If your seeking a placement in a hospital..phone them up rather early..because some hospitals have a long list
Reply 7
most hospitals dont do work placements

Latest

Trending

Trending