The Student Room Group

Does Level 2 Further Maths at GCSE actually count as a GCSE?

Hi, results day was great and I got 3 As, 8 A*s and 1 A* with distinction in L2 Further Maths. :smile:

On my results sheet Further Maths doesn't seem to have a score or anything and, seeing as it's classed as an iGCSE on the AQA website, I just want to know if it counts as a GCSE when applying for University. For Birmingham most successful candidates have 9+ A*s and seeing as I have 8 A* and another A* with distinction, would that count as those beautiful 9 A*s?
Original post by kaiwid23
Hi, results day was great and I got 3 As, 8 A*s and 1 A* with distinction in L2 Further Maths. :smile:

On my results sheet Further Maths doesn't seem to have a score or anything and, seeing as it's classed as an iGCSE on the AQA website, I just want to know if it counts as a GCSE when applying for University. For Birmingham most successful candidates have 9+ A*s and seeing as I have 8 A* and another A* with distinction, would that count as those beautiful 9 A*s?

Yes, I believe it does count as a GCSE. The A* with distinction is a bit of a pain, to be honest. I don't understand what possessed AQA to invent a grade for this qualification. The A* with distinction only exists for this single qualification and nobody in the real world actually knows what it means. The result of this is that, whenever I give my results to people, I just say I have 12 A*s instead of 11 A*s and 1 A* with distinction because I really can't be bothered to explain. Unfortunately, you can't do this on UCAS so I've had to write out "A* with Distinction" in the "Other" box for qualifications.

But yes, your A* with distinction will be seen as an A* equivalent so it should count towards your A* quota.

Quick Reply

Latest