The Student Room Group

What are you reading habits like? What do you drink/eat whilst you read?

As it says in the title.

EDIT: I mean reading for leisure not revising.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You mean read, as in for leisure? Or for revision purposes?

If for leisure= whatever food my bootiful mum cooks me
For revision= Doritos chilli heatwave, lots of chocolates, fizzy drinks, pull my hair apart & eat some more chocolates.
Reply 2
Mainly junk food like crisps and coke lol. But for some reason, I always feel like reading more when i`m supposed to sleep lol.
Reply 3
I just have a nice cup of tea or coffee when I read. If I start eating then ill concentrate too much in the food instead of the story. :tongue:

I do enjoy going out to restaurants and coffee shops and reading though. It's nice and refreshing to watch the world pass you by as you're engulfed in a novel.
Reply 4
Original post by Angury
I just have a nice cup of tea or coffee when I read. If I start eating then ill concentrate too much in the food instead of the story. :tongue:

I do enjoy going out to restaurants and coffee shops and reading though. It's nice and refreshing to watch the world pass you by as you're engulfed in a novel.

I find it the other way round! I end up concentrating on the story and forgetting how much I had drank/eaten!

But you are right, reading in cafes is brilliant.

Original post by Chukkeigh
You mean read, as in for leisure? Or for revision purposes?

If for leisure= whatever food my bootiful mum cooks me
For revision= Doritos chilli heatwave, lots of chocolates, fizzy drinks, pull my hair apart & eat some more chocolates.

For leisure
Original post by Angury

How is that possible?
Reply 6
Original post by Chukkeigh
How is that possible?

I will attempt and answer.

Every once in a while something pretty funny/awesome/deep happens and I find my self lifting my head up while I take it in. Like the death of a character or a narrow escape from a situation. So I still get to observe the world around me when it happens lol :\ oh and the general ambient noise also is kind of refreshing specially if it fits the setting of the novel :smile:
I don't really eat whilst reading for pleasure because i feel like i can't concentrate, esp if its a really good book. Watching shows on the other hand is a whole different story. I always HAVE to have something to much on in front of me or it just won't feel right lol.
Reply 8
Original post by Secretnerd123
I don't really eat whilst reading for pleasure because i feel like i can't concentrate, esp if its a really good book. Watching shows on the other hand is a whole different story. I always HAVE to have something to much on in front of me or it just won't feel right lol.
lol so u watch shows at the same time?
Original post by Mav455
lol so u watch shows at the same time?

Yupp
Reply 10
Yupp

I am sorry but that seems really really distracting.
Original post by 4TSR
I am sorry but that seems really really distracting.

So munching on snacks whilst watch tv is distracting?
Reply 12
So munching on snacks whilst watch tv is distracting?

I do not read my snacks... I do not look into my crisps and read into their lives and wonder the crisp on the left ever had sex with the mother of the crisp on the right whilst the middle crisp was watching from the house he tricked the other crisp into buying because of some crazy scandal/love triangle. So it is quite different snacking and reading you see...
Original post by 4TSR
I do not read my snacks... I do not look into my crisps and read into their lives and wonder the crisp on the left ever had sex with the mother of the crisp on the right whilst the middle crisp was watching from the house he tricked the other crisp into buying because of some crazy scandal/love triangle. So it is quite different snacking and reading you see...

What the.. :lolwut:
Reply 14
What the.. :lolwut:

Yea you compared reading and watching telly with eating and watching telly. A book is deeper and requires more attention and focus than a snack... and so watching a show whilst doing so will be extremely distracting for the reader.
Reply 15
Original post by 4TSR
Yea you compared reading and watching telly with eating and watching telly. A book is deeper and requires more attention and focus than a snack... and so watching a show whilst doing so will be extremely distracting for the reader.

You sir just experienced the psychological phenomenon known colloquially as brainfart
Reply 16
Original post by RobML
You sir just experienced the psychological phenomenon known colloquially as brainfart

???
Reply 17
Original post by RobML

Why did she think snacking and watching tv distracts you from snacking as much as watching tv and reading distracts you from reading?
For some reason, I never drink when I read... :confused:
If I eat when I'm reading, I hardly ever notice what I'm eating. I end up looking into the packet and wondering how on earth there's none left. :biggrin:

And about watching TV and reading at the same time: It is impossible for me. I suck at multitasking and the plots just get all muddled up.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't really eat whilst I'm reading... I'm usually too engrossed in the book to think about food. Often I'll have a drink beside me but yeah, that's it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending