The Student Room Group

VetMed Graduate Entry

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you applying to graduate programs that are an accelerated degree? ie 4 years instead of the standard 5? If so, to some degree it does matter in that the vet college wants to know you have the basics and can be expected to handle the accelerated degree. Having said that, I would expect a zoology degree, regardless of additional courses, to give you that. If concerned, maybe contact the individual colleges. At the end of the day, it is at the individual school's discretion whether to offer you a place in the accelerated program or not.

The only other thing I can see possibly making a difference, and this is a bit of a stretch, is if you take so-called easier courses, and ace them, but someone takes much 'harder' and/or relevant courses and does almost as well, they MIGHT value them over you. I feel that is potentially as stretch however, as again you are still taking some core science courses.

Beyond that, I think having a broad base is actually an advantage. The interviewers tend to like to see that people have interests outside of vet school. A language opens up doors for working abroad. Arts courses can be seen to develop different areas of your brain, like creativity, which can be very relevant to vet medicine. So no, I don't think you would be at a disadvantage there.

I am assuming you have done your research into costs of the graduate degree, which schools offer it, which schools offer an accelerated graduate degree, etc. etc.?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending