The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Helenia
Can't be 100% sure. Nobody thinks I'm a freak or anything (I think!) and the great thing is you don't have to be the boring slightly unusual clever one any more.

I've my heart set on 'slightly clever complete lunatic' to be honest.
androidkiller
Yep, I can't sing, but it'd be funny to give it a go. I wouldn't mind singing Javert either, but it sounds like Pollo Loco has that part dibbed. I couldn't do Marius in a month of Sundays, but then again Valjean and Javert are much better parts.

I was wondering if anyone would say that they'd sing that!
And you say you're boring?! Eponine = unrequited love. Personal experience or just a fun part?

OK, so far it's me as Valjean, Pollo Loco as Javert and Helenia as Eponine. Any other takers? Lol!

Hey androidkiller, Valjean is the highest male part goin in Les Mis. Just thought i'd let you know, havin done it. Marius is a wimp and Enjolras went a bit "ooh, hello!" in our production. It's up to you byt i suppose i'd swap coz if you can't do Marius, Valjean will be impossible. It has several top A's in it.
priya

whoever is going to selwyn, u aren't the only one,i know a dude called raj going there to do german and french- he's on these forums he just doesnt post much :tongue:.

Cool! :cool: Get him to post more!
Reply 83
Pollo Loco
Hey androidkiller, Valjean is the highest male part goin in Les Mis. Just thought i'd let you know, havin done it. Marius is a wimp and Enjolras went a bit "ooh, hello!" in our production. It's up to you byt i suppose i'd swap coz if you can't do Marius, Valjean will be impossible. It has several top A's in it.

I can't sing at all! Never mind.

Faboba
...students who enjoy drunked discussions of quantum physics...( Interesting to notice the themes that keep cropping up; vegetarianism, sci-fi, pop culture, fantasy books, musicals, Douglas Adams.... does this represent a cross section of Cambridge society or a cross section of the kind of applicants geeky enough to spend large amounts of time on an internet forum? )

No idea, but it looks like I'll have more people to talk to than at this dump! At last I won't be the weird clever one! I'm not a veggie though. And what about hose who talk about Quantum Physics sober, thus owed a drink to get into the correct state of mind (ie, me.)

crana, just stop it. They're disturbing.

*Joanna*
Btw, whoever started this thread needs a smack around the head (not hard, of course!)- i've got that really irritating song from The King and I in my head, and it won't go away! Aargh!

Sorry, that was me. I was wondering when anyone would notice that, especialy when the talk turned to musicals. Just seemed appropriate for the thread.
androidkiller

That's ok, neither could the guy who sang Marius in our production. Well, i do him an injustice, he wasn't too bad. :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 85
Pollo Loco
That's ok, neither could the guy who sang Marius in our production. Well, i do him an injustice, he wasn't too bad. :tongue: :biggrin:

Marius is a wussy part anyway. :rolleyes: As is Cosette. Give me a decent, heartrending part like Eponine/Fantine any day :biggrin:
Reply 86
Faboba
Dammit - foul deferred-entry temptress. Seriously though - study, pass exams, read, come here. You never know, if there's very few Comp Sci students I might be your father. Probably not though - with only one Philosophy student - usually - in a year each one is parent to the next.

I didn't choose a deferred! They gave it to me- I wasn't good enough to come this year- only just managed to stay in the pool! Not that I'm complaining...means I get to go to France next year if I get the grades!
Reply 87
My name is Keith,
Likes: Football sometimes, first person shooters + C&C series (computer games :smile:, and only when played online against real ppl. my main acedemic interest would be physics. I like Star Trek, Stargate and Star wars(not new films tho). I like films quite a bit and some japenese cinema like battle royale. I dont like fantasy too much......Lotr is great, but thats cause of the films, i dont intend to or want to read the books.
Radiohead , Primal Scream(post 1999 work), Bjork, Manics, A Perfect Circle, UNKLE, PJ Harvey, Natalie Imbruglia etc.
the internet in general is quite good.
snooker is pretty good too :smile:
I have done DofE Silver and Bronze, and used to be a scout :P
Neon Genesis Evangelion (anime).

Dislikes: RPGs (except zelda, and a select few.), Rap (i like the music, just not the rap parts, if the guys shutup rap would be tolerable and not rap :smile:). Punk with stupid 16 year olds singing. i am sure there are plenty more things to go in here but none come to mind just yet.

I am hoping to go to homerton college in october to study nat sci (physical), need AAA :frown:. i am quie boring, not much to write here, i have travled quite a bit (distance wise), australia(twice), india (loads of times, both my parents r from Goa), dubai(twice), singapore(once).

I want to win the nobel prize for physics or maybe the fields medal, i dont mind which (my unrealistic ambition :P)

i am a pretty average bloke, 5'6 :frown: 52kg. i go to a catholic comprehensive school (6th form) in hounslow (west-ish london). Thats it for now!
Reply 88
Ohhh I get to write stuff about myself!

My name's Selena but I'm more used to being called Lena, Lenie baby, Segzi, or Salana (don't ask).

I'm probably the least well read person on here. The last novel I read was over 2 months ago and I don't even remember what it was. Ironically enough, I've been working in a library for the last 4 years, which is probably why I avoid books like the plague. I haven't read LOTR. I haven't read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm sure that one day I'll summon up the will to do so, but for now they'll stay in my to-read pile.

I absolutely love performance of all kinds, whether it's acting, dancing or music, both as a member of the audience and as a performer. There's something about being on stage that gives me an incomparable high. So far I've only been in school plays and concerts, but I'm hoping to carry on doing odd shows every now and then.

My musical tastes are quite varied- i tend to like particular songs rather than groups or music genres. I do have quite a few Lamb CDs, which I listen to for inspiration, and some good ole Linkin Park for those days. OOh and I LOVE Shakira. But only when she sings in Spanish and is a brunette. At the moment I'm listening to Norah Jones, which is helping me chill...

Personally I prefer to sing dirty blues and jazz or really difficult operatic arias. Mostly because my singing teachers say I shouldn't be singing songs that complex at my age, and I want to push myself vocally as far as I can go.

I guess I spend much of my time trying to push myself to the limits, just to prove a point. Not in an unhealthy way, but I just detest being told that I can't do something. I'm pretty lazy until someone suggests that i *couldn't* do something even if I *wanted* to. It just makes me so mad! Most of the time I manage to prove them wrong, so it's worth suffering just to see the looks on their faces :tongue:

I'm not a particularly sporty person but I do go to the gym quite often and I have a holiday job assisting a tennis coach. He told me the reason he hired me is because i'm 'not very good' and that keeps the morale up when the pupils see me playing worse than them. I was on the cricket team at school until I got so much homework that it stopped being viable. But in our day, we were fairly good, and were runners up in some sort of Junior Cup thingy. All I remember about it was our prize. We got to play at half time at the Oval during the match with SA (think it was '99 but not too sure). The crowd were pretty drunk and rowdy by half time and kept shouting at us cos we were crap! :biggrin:

I also decided to start DoE at Gold level which has been friggin tough and I can't wait til it's over. I'm too much of a London girl to roll about in mud for 4 days. Even if the countryside is pretty. Give me smog and traffic fumes anyday. There's also a sorry lack of shops out in the open.

Erm... that's pretty much me. I'll be a classicist at Newnham. And I wanna be in Les Mis too!!
devilschild
Everyone seems far more interesting than me but here goes! I'm ellie and will hopefully be doing biological natsci next year at Trinity Hall as long as I get myself motivated enough to do some work. I like reading but don't usually have much time to, have just finished The Lovely Bones which is really sad but good, favourite books include His Dark Materials, The Book of the New Sun (Gene Wolf), Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and Lord of the Rings (very predictable choice I know!). I don't like computer games unlike a lot of the people who have posted on here but my brothers are always trying to make me play Halo and other games involving random killing. I'm pretty hopeless at most sports (but played netball and hockey when quite a lot younger) but do occasionally drag myself to the gym (don't particularly like the rowing machines but may be converted into liking rowing once I get to cambridge).

I'm very into lots of music but don't play any instruments, favourite bands include Placebo, the Darkness, Muse, Stereophonics, Incubus, Coldplay, Ash, Faithless, Alanis Morisette, the Hives, Siouxie and the banshees, and lots of others that I can't think of right now. I love going to music festivals (apart from the toilets there), have been to glastonbury the last few years and it really has to be one of the best places in the world (but was devastated not to get a ticket this year after spending all night trying and mananging to get tickets for the rest of my family so they're going without me!). Going to Reading this year instead which seems to have a good line up but I doubt the atmosphere will match Glasto. In terms of hobbies I just seem to spend most of my free time in pubs, going clubbing and to parties and don't really do much constructive, but have been learning sign language for the past year for no particular reason and like to draw and paint when I have time.

I'm very opinionated on most things, am vegetarian and politically I am fairly left. I have very boring brown hair (although it had bright blue streaks in when i went for my cam interview), brown eyes, height is around 5 10 and weigh around 9-9 +half stone but not really sure because there are no scales that work in my house. My school is comprehensive and i'm the only one to have an offer for oxbridge this year wich means quite a lot of pressure, and tend to be either loved or hated by most teachers (have been told several times that I have an 'offhand attitude' and 'hippysish tendencies' which is quite amusing). Anyway I think thats probably it about me, I will probably remember more stuff later.

I have a conditional offer for deferred entry so I won't be going to Cambridge until 2005 even if I do get 3As therefore I am not going to give you all the details of my fascinating life now, but I just wanted to say:

I am learning sign language too, also for no particular reason (well, no good one anyway!). Have been learning for nearly two years and I'm just over half way through level 2 which is fiendishly and impossibly difficult and I will probably fail but anyway... Do you happen to know if there are any signing groups/Deaf clubs which are open to hearing members in Cambridge? You see, I will take Level 2 this Christmas and I doubt I'll have either the time or the committment to try Level 3 but I don't want to lose all my signing skills! Everyone I know who is deaf is here in London so I'm worried I won't be able to practise. At my insurance choice they have a big language centre where they do Level One and Two lessons and they also have signing socials so I could go along to them and also chat to the Level 1 and 2 peeps. Was just wondering if there's anything similar in Cambridge?

Of course I will try to find out nearer the time and ask my teacher who is SO well connected in the Deaf community and seems to know everyone everywhere and
1. you probably have no idea and
2. all the non-signing people out there are probably really angry with me for taking up their thread
so I'll be off now :smile:

Vee! :cool:

Ted

PS I also like Hitchhikers Guide but have not read the book only listened to the radio series - the original and best for the information of anyone out there who has only read the book...
Reply 90
androidkiller
No idea, but it looks like I'll have more people to talk to than at this dump! At last I won't be the weird clever one! I'm not a veggie though. And what about hose who talk about Quantum Physics sober, thus owed a drink to get into the correct state of mind (ie, me.)

Quantum theory must be discussed when drunk. If you're sober you occasionally realise that you don't have a very firm grasp of what you're talking about. When drunk it becomes so much easier to accept the 'alternate universe hypothesis' which the sober mind rejects as utter twaddle.

keithy

I like Star Trek, Stargate and Star wars(not new films tho). I like films quite a bit and some japenese cinema like battle royale.

Man! Cambridge geeks are the best ever! Mmmmm.... Mitsuko.

I want to win the nobel prize for physics or maybe the fields medal, i dont mind which (my unrealistic ambition :P)

You can't have both - that's just in bad taste. ( Surely you could settle for JUST the Nobel? )

Threadbare Ted

I am learning sign language too, also for no particular reason.....

I know the signs for 'I', 'Thank You' and 'Prizewinners'. I've actually been able to use thank you when I was working in retail; every so often we'd get someone that was deaf sidling up to the till and writing notes about what they wanted on scraps of paper. At the end - just for kicks - I'd thank them in Sign and they'd go nuts for it. I would learn it properly but German should come first.

PS I also like Hitchhikers Guide but have not read the book only listened to the radio series - the original and best for the information of anyone out there who has only read the book...

That counts. The radio show rules. It must; it has 'It's a Wonderful World' in it.
keithy
My name is Keith,
Likes: Football sometimes, first person shooters + C&C series (computer games :smile:, and only when played online against real ppl. my main acedemic interest would be physics. I like Star Trek, Stargate and Star wars(not new films tho). I like films quite a bit and some japenese cinema like battle royale. I dont like fantasy too much......Lotr is great, but thats cause of the films, i dont intend to or want to read the books.
Radiohead , Primal Scream(post 1999 work), Bjork, Manics, A Perfect Circle, UNKLE, PJ Harvey, Natalie Imbruglia etc.
the internet in general is quite good.
snooker is pretty good too :smile:
I have done DofE Silver and Bronze, and used to be a scout :P
Neon Genesis Evangelion (anime).

Dislikes: RPGs (except zelda, and a select few.), Rap (i like the music, just not the rap parts, if the guys shutup rap would be tolerable and not rap :smile:). Punk with stupid 16 year olds singing. i am sure there are plenty more things to go in here but none come to mind just yet.

I am hoping to go to homerton college in october to study nat sci (physical), need AAA :frown:. i am quie boring, not much to write here, i have travled quite a bit (distance wise), australia(twice), india (loads of times, both my parents r from Goa), dubai(twice), singapore(once).

i am a pretty average bloke, 5'6 :frown: 52kg. i go to a catholic comprehensive school (6th form) in hounslow (west-ish london). Thats it for now!

I take particular note of the "I'm a pretty average bloke, 5'6 52kg"
T'aint that average really is it. That said when i arrived here i was 5'6 58kg
J
naelse

My name's Selena but I'm more used to being called Lena, Lenie baby, Segzi, or Salana (don't ask).

I'm probably the least well read person on here. The last novel I read was over 2 months ago and I don't even remember what it was. Ironically enough, I've been working in a library for the last 4 years, which is probably why I avoid books like the plague. I haven't read LOTR. I haven't read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm sure that one day I'll summon up the will to do so, but for now they'll stay in my to-read pile.

I absolutely love performance of all kinds, whether it's acting, dancing or music, both as a member of the audience and as a performer. There's something about being on stage that gives me an incomparable high. So far I've only been in school plays and concerts, but I'm hoping to carry on doing odd shows every now and then.

My musical tastes are quite varied- i tend to like particular songs rather than groups or music genres. I do have quite a few Lamb CDs, which I listen to for inspiration, and some good ole Linkin Park for those days. OOh and I LOVE Shakira. But only when she sings in Spanish and is a brunette. At the moment I'm listening to Norah Jones, which is helping me chill...

Personally I prefer to sing dirty blues and jazz or really difficult operatic arias. Mostly because my singing teachers say I shouldn't be singing songs that complex at my age, and I want to push myself vocally as far as I can go.

I guess I spend much of my time trying to push myself to the limits, just to prove a point. Not in an unhealthy way, but I just detest being told that I can't do something. I'm pretty lazy until someone suggests that i *couldn't* do something even if I *wanted* to. It just makes me so mad! Most of the time I manage to prove them wrong, so it's worth suffering just to see the looks on their faces :tongue:

I'm not a particularly sporty person but I do go to the gym quite often and I have a holiday job assisting a tennis coach. He told me the reason he hired me is because i'm 'not very good' and that keeps the morale up when the pupils see me playing worse than them. I was on the cricket team at school until I got so much homework that it stopped being viable. But in our day, we were fairly good, and were runners up in some sort of Junior Cup thingy. All I remember about it was our prize. We got to play at half time at the Oval during the match with SA (think it was '99 but not too sure). The crowd were pretty drunk and rowdy by half time and kept shouting at us cos we were crap! :biggrin:

I also decided to start DoE at Gold level which has been friggin tough and I can't wait til it's over. I'm too much of a London girl to roll about in mud for 4 days. Even if the countryside is pretty. Give me smog and traffic fumes anyday. There's also a sorry lack of shops out in the open.

Erm... that's pretty much me. I'll be a classicist at Newnham. And I wanna be in Les Mis too!!

Well I certainly beat you on the reading issue. I haven't read fictional book for almost a year, and proud :smile: I had LOTR rammed into me though :rolleyes:
Reply 93
Joey_Johns
I had LOTR rammed into me though :rolleyes:

The images that phrase brings up are somewhat disturbing :eek:

foolfarian
I take particular note of the "I'm a pretty average bloke, 5'6 52kg"
T'aint that average really is it. That said when i arrived here i was 5'6 58kg

Shortarse :tongue:

I did some BMI calculations for my cousin comparing between when he first started at Cambridge and when he graduated (for the first time - graduation no. 4 coming up :rolleyes: ) - he dropped from 21 to 18 at the end of his finals :eek:
Helenia

I did some BMI calculations for my cousin comparing between when he first started at Cambridge and when he graduated (for the first time - graduation no. 4 coming up :rolleyes: ) - he dropped from 21 to 18 at the end of his finals :eek:

Pah you'd have loved doing all things Tolkein and Sherlock holmes. We had an Iliad game at Ampleforth too which was cool.
Helenia

I've gone the othe way. I've gained a load of weight (when i came i was 9st5 now im about 11st) and height (now about 5'9)
J
Reply 96
Joey_Johns
Pah you'd have loved doing all things Tolkein and Sherlock holmes. We had an Iliad game at Ampleforth too which was cool.

Never really got into Sherlock Holmes - I read a couple of the stories, but they didn't impress me greatly. I'm more of a Silent Witness/Patricia Cornwell type of person. :biggrin: Went through a period of Tolkien obsession last year - even read the Unfinished Tales :eek: but am over that pretty much now.

foolfarian
I've gone the othe way. I've gained a load of weight (when i came i was 9st5 now im about 11st) and height (now about 5'9)

Well, he wasn't exactly a happy bunny as an undergrad and was pretty malnourished by the time he graduated (still came back though). I've lost some weight but not loads, partly due to glandular fever though, I think. Still haven't worked out how I got that...:mad: And I stopped growing at about 15, stayed about 5'8 since.
Helenia
Never really got into Sherlock Holmes - I read a couple of the stories, but they didn't impress me greatly. I'm more of a Silent Witness/Patricia Cornwell type of person. :biggrin: Went through a period of Tolkien obsession last year - even read the Unfinished Tales :eek: but am over that pretty much now.

Well, he wasn't exactly a happy bunny as an undergrad and was pretty malnourished by the time he graduated (still came back though). I've lost some weight but not loads, partly due to glandular fever though, I think. Still haven't worked out how I got that...:mad: And I stopped growing at about 15, stayed about 5'8 since.

Pah, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is by far the best, for he is OS :tongue:
Reply 98
i'm catrin, i come from cornwall, and i should be reading english at emmanuel when i get AAA. i go to a bog-standard sort of state comprehensive. i am not especially interested in sci-fi i am afraid to say, but i did once fall passionately in love with commander riker. i suppose the fact that i was about 7 at the time is excuse enough?

as you might have guessed, i love literature, and tend to spend unhealthily but necessarily long periods of time reading poesy. favourite poet at the moment is william blake, favourite past-time is reciting eg the tyger enthusiastically at year 8s as i pass them in corridors, it is marvellous therapy and just what he intended. favourite novelists are george eliot and emily bronte, am an 'out-doorsy' type in as far as i tend to roam about wuthering heights, lie in the heather and compose lyrics to myself. i also have long wavy brown hair because my great ambition is to be the heroine of a nineteenth century novel.

other great passion is music. i hate despise loathe and detest coldplay, mainly because when i tended to wear too much plastic jewellery :tongue: i went to V2000 festival and had to watch them live, in a rainstorm, in the mud, in a mosh of about 100,000,000 people, while being felt up by a drunk bare chested middle aged man. i sing, in choirs and randomly, and play the violin and the piano ineptly but with great joy: love debussy, schubert, steve reich, stravinsky, bach, miles davies...

'politically' i am as left-wing as i am young and ignorant but hope to rectify this situation. i enjoy shouting at newsnight very much. i was also once passionately in love with jeremy paxman. i was 12 years old at the time. this is probably better than being in love with commander riker as paxman is more likely to exist.

i resemble byron in many ways, at least i think so, not least in that my weight fluctuates dramatically depending on how unstable and passionate i fancy myself to be: i am 5'6 and weigh 9.5 stone, but about 3 months ago weighed about 3 stone.
naelse

Don't you sound like fun.

Latest

Trending

Trending