The Student Room Group

Higher A2 Prediction

Basically, I want to do Mechanical Engineering (Meng) at uni.
However I only got a C (4 marks off a B) in Maths & Mechanics
and a D (3 marks off a C) in Physics.
Will the college still predict me an A in Maths & Mechanics and a B in Physics? (P.S i will be resisting 2 Maths exams and 1 exam + coursework in Physics)
Also will the University of Birmingham accept me???
Reply 1
Up to the school and teacher really. Some will predict what you got at AS whilst others may up the grade.

Either ways, best to talk to your subject teachers about it. Since you didn't do quite as well, they may be reluctant however if you do good work in A2 and well in any possible AS/A2 tests that they throw at you, tables may turn.
Original post by rp_97
Will the college still predict me an A in Maths & Mechanics and a B in Physics? (P.S i will be resisting 2 Maths exams and 1 exam + coursework in Physics)

Depends entirely on the teacher. Some teachers (like mine at A-Level:rolleyes:) don't budge at all. If you got a C in Maths, why would you expect to get an A? Especially if you're doing 2 retakes. That means 5/6 Maths exams all in one go? On top of 5/6 of your Physics (2 coursework's and 3 exams), as well as a third A-Level.

Even if you do get the higher prediction, you do actually need to get the grades to get in. 10 exams from 2 subjects, on top of the exams from other A-Level you'd be doing?

While it may well turn out that you'd get an A in Maths and a B in Physics, you've got to be realistic. You'd be better off redoing your AS if you want to go to the University of Birmingham.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Depends entirely on the teacher. Some teachers (like mine at A-Level:rolleyes:) don't budge at all. If you got a C in Maths, why would you expect to get an A? Especially if you're doing 2 retakes. That means 5/6 Maths exams all in one go? On top of 5/6 of your Physics (2 coursework's and 3 exams), as well as a third A-Level.

Even if you do get the higher prediction, you do actually need to get the grades to get in. 10 exams from 2 subjects, on top of the exams from other A-Level you'd be doing?

While it may well turn out that you'd get an A in Maths and a B in Physics, you've got to be realistic. You'd be better off redoing your AS if you want to go to the University of Birmingham.

Thanks for the response. My last A level is graphics which requires no exam that's why i think that in 8 exams i could achieve those grade. Plus people who do maths and two science subjects usually do end up doing 7-8 exams anyway for A2 so therefore i will not be at any disd=advantage to those people when considering the workload, its just a case of revising last years work.
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
Up to the school and teacher really. Some will predict what you got at AS whilst others may up the grade.

Either ways, best to talk to your subject teachers about it. Since you didn't do quite as well, they may be reluctant however if you do good work in A2 and well in any possible AS/A2 tests that they throw at you, tables may turn.

Thanks for the advice n hopefully the work load wont be that much considering my last a level requires no exam. Its just a case of revising last years work as well as smashing A2 work.
Reply 5
Original post by rp_97

Sit down and have a chat with your teachers. Suggest that they consider it over a period of time in which you sit tests to show your dedication to achieving better this year. My biology teacher wasn't reluctant at all to predict me higher in my A year than in my AS whereas my maths teacher was. However I proved to my maths teacher that I was dedicated and they reconsidered which helped with my university application and eventually with succeeding in getting those grades. Just show the teachers you're really going to put in the work and talk to them as a respectful human being. They want you to do well but they have to be realistic. If you massively underachieve and they set the high predicted grades it reflects badly on them too.
Reply 6
Original post by DinoPjs
Sit down and have a chat with your teachers. Suggest that they consider it over a period of time in which you sit tests to show your dedication to achieving better this year. My biology teacher wasn't reluctant at all to predict me higher in my A year than in my AS whereas my maths teacher was. However I proved to my maths teacher that I was dedicated and they reconsidered which helped with my university application and eventually with succeeding in getting those grades. Just show the teachers you're really going to put in the work and talk to them as a respectful human being. They want you to do well but they have to be realistic. If you massively underachieve and they set the high predicted grades it reflects badly on them too.

Thanks man that's actually really helpful. I think that my teachers is very understanding and will hopefully predict me those grades I need for my university course .
Reply 7
i'm in the same position
B in media
C in French
D in sociology
apparently my college predict you one grade above so theoretically i'd be predicted ABC but i'm hoping my french teacher will predict me an A! I got full marks in my speaking but messed up my written exam but she knows what i'm capable of
Original post by rp_97
Thanks for the response. My last A level is graphics which requires no exam that's why i think that in 8 exams i could achieve those grade. Plus people who do maths and two science subjects usually do end up doing 7-8 exams anyway for A2 so therefore i will not be at any disd=advantage to those people when considering the workload, its just a case of revising last years work.

No problem, I didn't intend to put you down, just to help you make a better decision really. You will still be at a disadvantage, in that Physics has a ****load of content for A2 and you need to work a lot harder to get the same grade you did at AS, let alone get 2 grades higher. I hope you understand the amount of work you need to do, it's not just a case of revising last years work because you've got more work to do on top of your A2's. I recommend you to focus on your A2's because they are a lot more tough, in particular C3/C4. All the best.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
No problem, I didn't intend to put you down, just to help you make a better decision really. You will still be at a disadvantage, in that Physics has a ****load of content for A2 and you need to work a lot harder to get the same grade you did at AS, let alone get 2 grades higher. I hope you understand the amount of work you need to do, it's not just a case of revising last years work because you've got more work to do on top of your A2's. I recommend you to focus on your A2's because they are a lot more tough, in particular C3/C4. All the best.

Cheers mate n thank for the advice. Just hoping that by getting my head down this year I can get what I want .thanks again 😃
Original post by rp_97
Cheers mate n thank for the advice. Just hoping that by getting my head down this year I can get what I want .thanks again 😃

No problem pal. Anything to help a fellow student against the evil phenomenon we call A-Levels:cool:
Reply 11
Original post by amejv
i'm in the same position
B in media
C in French
D in sociology
apparently my college predict you one grade above so theoretically i'd be predicted ABC but i'm hoping my french teacher will predict me an A! I got full marks in my speaking but messed up my written exam but she knows what i'm capable of

It's really annoying that 1 exam can totally ruin your overall grade but hopefully by talking to the teachers and explaining to them the situation we should be able to get the predicted grade we went and feel we can achieve. Anyway Good luck 😃

Quick Reply

Latest