The Student Room Group

Help with work experience !

Hello people :smile:
So I am in 5th year ( year 10 or 11 in England ) and Im trying to get myself some work experience at a law firm ( I know its hard but I have nothing to lose and thats what I want to do in the future ). Thus I spoke to my careers advisor and she said that the best thing to do is to send a letter asking about work experience etc. But the thing is that I havent got a clue what to say within it ?:colondollar: This is where you guys come in .. Could anyone give me any tips on how to write that letter ? :wink:
Thanks for all the replies in advance !
Original post by guzz6
So I am in 5th year ( year 10 or 11 in England ) and Im trying to get myself some work experience at a law firm ( I know its hard but I have nothing to lose and thats what I want to do in the future ). Thus I spoke to my careers advisor and she said that the best thing to do is to send a letter asking about work experience etc. But the thing is that I havent got a clue what to say within it ?:colondollar: This is where you guys come in .. Could anyone give me any tips on how to write that letter ? :wink:

Hey buddy! Moved this to the Law forum for you: if anyone knows how to get work experience at a legal firm, it's the blokes here. :wink:

S5 would actually be Year 12 in England!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Hey buddy! Moved this to the Law forum for you: if anyone knows how to get work experience at a legal firm, it's the blokes here. :wink:

S5 would actually be Year 12 in England!

Thank you so much ! I was honestly thinking of just asking to take it down but theres a reply - woooo ! :biggrin:

Original post by J-SP
If you are at in a state school and the first in your family to go to university or eligible for free school meals, look at the Prime initiative:

http://primecommitment.org/schools/students

There are a list of over 80 firms signed up to give work experience placements to those who meet the above criteria.

If you send them a letter/email and state you are interested in applying to their work experience programme, you should be in with a good shot (as long as you meet the criteria).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thanks for the reply ! :smile: and yeah prime seems really good but Im the second in my family to go to uni and I never got free school meals - so I guess I have to go with option B :biggrin:
Also youre right with the emails as Ill know for sure that they are able to contact me back :smile: These are some really good pointers so thank you for those as I honestly didnt have a clue how to start writing this ... Thus the last thing Ive got left is to start writing this :biggrin: Wish me luck hahaha
Try the University of Kent's careers site for template letters - it is seen as a good site. Keep it formal! Make sure you spell everything correctly and there are no punctuation errors. Very important.

Other than that, show passion! Show knowledge of the firm. Also, google firms that offer work exp to people of your age - some firms do this. Good luck!

Oh yes, prepare for them to ignore you or reject you - don't worry! you only need one. And ask your local firms. Good luck

Original post by guzz6
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Hey buddy! Moved this to the Law forum for you: if anyone knows how to get work experience at a legal firm, it's the blokes here. :wink:!

Original post by J-SP
Keep the letter short and concise and send a CV along with it. The letter shouldn't be more than a page of A4

Original post by happyinthehaze
Try the University of Kent's careers site for template letters - it is seen as a good site. Keep it formal! Make sure you spell everything correctly and there are no punctuation errors. Very important.

Hello Guys ! :smile:
So I thought I'd let you know about my GOOD news - I got a week of work experience at one firm which has offices in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow :biggrin: And also another one at a local property solicitor every Friday and Saturday for 3 weeks starting on Halloween :banana:
Thus I am really thankful for all your help, it did take 10 rejections and 3 ignores before I got these 2 :adore:
Again thanks and I'll make sure to give you all rep :biggrin:
Original post by guzz6
So I thought I'd let you know about my GOOD news - I got a week of work experience at one firm which has offices in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow :biggrin: And also another one at a local property solicitor every Friday and Saturday for 3 weeks starting on Halloween :banana:
Thus I am really thankful for all your help, it did take 10 rejections and 3 ignores before I got these 2 :adore:

Congratulations, mate! Glad it worked out for you. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm actually completely delighted for you! :biggrin: You did really well, big pat on the back for you. Plus, this will look great on your CV! Well done with keeping on and showing initiative!

Original post by guzz6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending