The Student Room Group

Applications

Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of finalising my choices to study French (and Italian) at uni.
My firm choice is ULIP, but I'm unsure about the other 4. I'm thinking; Manchester, Leeds, UCL, Exeter, Southampton, Durham, Edinburgh. Where are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 1
Hey,
I'm looking for other people who are applying to ULIP for 2015- there doesn't seem to be many of us in TSR! Ulip's my first choice too- otherwise I'm looking at Southampton, Durham, and several others. But ULIP is where I really want to be!
When I applied for French and spanish , I applied to Southampton and Exeter from your list :smile:
Not many people actually know about it! My college (Greenhead, Huddersfield) is the biggest feeder college but there are still loads of people there (language students too) who don't know about it!
I emailed Southampton and they don't do a single language degree course which was sad. Also, if I wanted to do Italian as well as French, I would have to pick up another language to study alongside it, or do an integrated masters!

Original post by Zabalara
Hey,
I'm looking for other people who are applying to ULIP for 2015- there doesn't seem to be many of us in TSR! Ulip's my first choice too- otherwise I'm looking at Southampton, Durham, and several others. But ULIP is where I really want to be!
Are you at uni now? (if so where?)

Original post by Paralove
When I applied for French and spanish , I applied to Southampton and Exeter from your list :smile:
Original post by spookyplacenta
Are you at uni now? (if so where?)

Indeed! Just moved in yesterday actually. I'm at Cambridge (Newnham College).
That's amazing! So what drew you to Cambridge over any other university? I know their language courses are based a lot heavier around literature..?

Original post by Paralove
Indeed! Just moved in yesterday actually. I'm at Cambridge (Newnham College).
That's amazing! So what drew you to Cambridge over any other university? I know their language courses are based a lot heavier around literature..?

Well when I went on the open day I just absolutely loved everything about the university, particularly the supervision system, and all the staff I spoke to were just so into the subject (though this was the same at Southampton). The course content is pretty much all lit for the non-language side of things, but the books I have to read are all very interesting, and a mix of a film, modern French, middle French, Medieval French, poetry, a play and just normal novels. I thought I wouldn't enjoy it because of the lit but really in second year you can avoid literature by doing linguistics papers instead, or a third language. You can also drop a language in the second year.

I'm in the middle of Freshers week now which is super crazy busy, and I haven't stopped! Though pretty sure that going clubbing last night when matriculation was this morning was a really bad idea... I had four hours sleep and am about to go get more now!!
Reply 8
Not many people actually know about it! My college (Greenhead, Huddersfield) is the biggest feeder college but there are still loads of people there (language students too) who don't know about it!
I emailed Southampton and they don't do a single language degree course which was sad. Also, if I wanted to do Italian as well as French, I would have to pick up another language to study alongside it, or do an integrated masters!

I keep having to explain what it is to people, nobody seems to have heard of it!
Thats odd- I just applied for BA French at Southampton! I'd love to do Italian, but focussing on my other languages at the moment.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending