The Student Room Group

Do you have a question about bullying?

Anti-bullying week is just around the corner! Here at TSR we have invited the anti-bullying charity Ditch the Label to join in a Q&A where you can ask all your questions around bullying!

With even more ways to bully with the internet and phones being used everyday, it's important to tackle bullying head on!

Ditch the Label will be answered your questions during Anti-Bullying Week so if you have something you would like to ask post it in this thread by 5pm on October 31st to be submitted into the Q&A!!

Here are some examples!

How do you cope if you feel you are being bullied by a lecturer?

How many students are bullied every year?

What is the top reason for being bullied?

Get involved and Say No to Bullying. :naughty:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Queen Cersei
Anti-bullying week is just around the corner! Here at TSR we have invited the anti-bullying charity Ditch the Label to join in a Q&A where you can ask all your questions around bullying!

With even more ways to bully with the internet and phones being used everyday, it's important to tackle bullying head on!

I think it would help at this point if you defined exactly what "bullying" is :smile:

Your example of a lecturer "bullying," what would that consist of?
Original post by samba
I think it would help at this point if you defined exactly what "bullying" is :smile:

Your example of a lecturer "bullying," what would that consist of?

Hey, I have posted a list below of the various shapes and forms bullying can take, I hope this is helpful! As to the lecturer example, this can be feeling put down or embarrassed by them, feeling picked on in front of fellow students, being marked lower on essays due to discrimination etc!

Bullying can come in many forms including:

being called names

being put down or humiliated

being teased

being pushed or pulled about

having money and other possessions taken or messed about with

having rumours spread about you

being ignored and left out

being hit, kicked or physically hurt

being threatened or intimidated

Bullying doesn't only happen to young students, it can happen in secondary school and college, at university, in the workplace and even at home.
Being forced to eat something that you don't want to eat.

Is that bullying? If so then I had a valid reason to move halls. It's frustrating when you know someone is just plain horrible (like my ex-flatmate) but you're not sure if any of their actions actually constitutes bullying. You know that that person is plain horrible, but you don't have much to back up why. The worst bullies are the clever ones...

That person essentially ruined my 1st year...
I have 14 questions.

How do you tell who is the bully and who is the victim? Perhaps they are both victims? Perhaps they are both bullies?

What is the different between bullying and mutual animosity? How do you tell the difference?
What is the difference between bullying and friendly teasing? How do you tell the difference?

If a bully doesn't think he is a bully, can he still be a bully? If a victim doesn't think he is a victim, can he still be a bully? What if the bully thinks he is a victim, and the victim thinks he is a bully, which is which?

Do you think trying to solve bullying is like trying to solve illness? Don't we need to be a bit more specific, perhaps? Isn't the word "bully" itself so unspecific as to be meaningless and arguable counterproductive? Should we not make more effort to characterise and define the true nature of the problem before attempting to throw a one-size-fits-all solution at it and risk exacerbating the situation?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cole-slaw
I have 14 questions.

How do you tell who is the bully and who is the victim? Perhaps they are both victims? Perhaps they are both bullies?

What is the different between bullying and mutual animosity? How do you tell the difference?
What is the difference between bullying and friendly teasing? How do you tell the difference?

If a bully doesn't think he is a bully, can he still be a bully? If a victim doesn't think he is a victim, can he still be a bully? What if the bully thinks he is a victim, and the victim thinks he is a bully, which is which?

Do you think trying to solve bullying is like trying to solve illness? Don't we need to be a bit more specific, perhaps? Isn't the word "bully" itself so unspecific as to be meaningless and arguable counterproductive? Should we not make more effort to characterise and define the true nature of the problem before attempting to throw a one-size-fits-all solution at it and risk exacerbating the situation?

This is a great! You have lots of interesting questions so I will send them all over for the Q&A :smile:
This is a great! You have lots of interesting questions so I will send them all over for the Q&A :smile:

Feel free to fix the spelling mistakes :smile:
I have a question, how far do you think the levels of bullying have dropped since, say 20 years ago, due to things such as anti bullying weeks being introduced?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesTheCool
Being forced to eat something that you don't want to eat.

Is that bullying? If so then I had a valid reason to move halls. It's frustrating when you know someone is just plain horrible (like my ex-flatmate) but you're not sure if any of their actions actually constitutes bullying. You know that that person is plain horrible, but you don't have much to back up why. The worst bullies are the clever ones...

That person essentially ruined my 1st year...

I can empathise with this, it can be extremely hard to define. Emotional bullying is particularly tricky as there are no bruises to prove it. I will put this forward for the Q&A as I think this could make for a very interesting discussion and I hope that things looked up after your first year :smile:
Original post by Yeah dude
I have a question, how far do you think the levels of bullying have dropped since, say 20 years ago, due to things such as anti bullying weeks being introduced?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice question! It would interesting to see if these actions have made a difference, though with the introduction of cyber bullying I wonder if that would be counted as separate otherwise I reckon the figures would have gone up?
Nice question! It would interesting to see if these actions have made a difference, though with the introduction of cyber bullying I wonder if that would be counted as separate otherwise I reckon the figures would have gone up?

I think physical bullying has gone down, but cyber bullying has gone up

Posted from TSR Mobile
How fine is the line between banter and bullying?
Reply 12
Does the rise in cyber-bulling mean that there has been a decline in physical 'school yard' style bullying? Or is simply going under the radar as everyone has been focused on the cyber side?

I do have another question, but I kinda forgot it.....
Reply 13
I'd like to know whether they think there is enough awareness of what bullying is and not just that it is bad?

I think that it is quite easy for kids (or anyone) to be cruel and shrug it off because "that's not really bullying".
What are schools meant to do about bullying? In my experience, they do nothing; but I am sure they're meant to have some sort of policy on it.
Original post by OU Student
What are schools meant to do about bullying? In my experience, they do nothing; but I am sure they're meant to have some sort of policy on it.

Would you find the perspective of a teacher useful if we could arrange this?
Would you find the perspective of a teacher useful if we could arrange this?

That would be great if you can. :smile:
Original post by OU Student
That would be great if you can. :smile:

I think we have something sorted :smile:
I will be submitting the questions on Friday at noon so if there are any more please post them in here!
Hey, I have posted a list below of the various shapes and forms bullying can take, I hope this is helpful! As to the lecturer example, this can be feeling put down or embarrassed by them, feeling picked on in front of fellow students, being marked lower on essays due to discrimination etc!

Bullying can come in many forms including:

being called names

being put down or humiliated

being teased

being pushed or pulled about

having money and other possessions taken or messed about with

having rumours spread about you

being ignored and left out

being hit, kicked or physically hurt

being threatened or intimidated

Bullying doesn't only happen to young students, it can happen in secondary school and college, at university, in the workplace and even at home.

So how are you supposed to interact with your friends then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending