The Student Room Group

I put my personal statement online HELP!

I posted it on a forum here (I never thought this would be a problem). It's now been removed by an admin, but if I copy and paste any bits of it into Google it comes up. Will I get denied for plagiarism? What do I do? Will it go off Google over time?
Reply 1
Original post by Bigplatts
I posted it on a forum here (I never thought this would be a problem). It's now been removed by an admin, but if I copy and paste any bits of it into Google it comes up. Will I get denied for plagiarism? What do I do? Will it go off Google over time?

ask a mod to delete it

It will probably be a long time because of google's spiders only regularly visiting pages with heavy traffic.
Reply 3
Original post by UnableToFindUser
It will probably be a long time because of google's spiders only regularly visiting pages with heavy traffic.

Well what do I do? Is this basically just me screwed for UCAS. Will I have to rewrite the whole thing?
Reply 4
Well what do I do? Is this basically just me screwed for UCAS. Will I have to rewrite the whole thing?

Well I would say re write it, you have plenty of time. You also have the main ideas you wanted to put in the personal statement so it won't be like starting from scratch
Oh no! :frown: it's never a good idea to post your statement online like that - someone else might steal it for a start. Rewriting it might be a good idea, but I shouldn't think they'd search that thoroughly for it, and they'd probably work out what had happened, it's not going to be written by anyone else, after all
Reply 6
You can try ringing UCAS and asking for advice, but you probably will have to re-write it. Certainly do not submit anything to UCAS until you've spoken to them and explained what's happened.
you can't get denied for plagiarism if you can prove that it was you who posted it and you should be able to do that (give them the password for the account if no other way).

You can ask google to remove links here https://support.google.com/websearch/troubleshooter/3111061?hl=en
Reply 8
Original post by parentlurker
you can't get denied for plagiarism if you can prove that it was you who posted it and you should be able to do that (give them the password for the account if no other way).

You can ask google to remove links here https://support.google.com/websearch/troubleshooter/3111061?hl=en

The problem is that you don't know who else has seen and copied
Reply 9
It does not matter at all what is on google or on the internet.

The only thing that matters is whether someone has copied your personal statement, used it in theirs and submitted their application.

The Ucas use an anti-plagiarism software which is only for personal statements submitted through UCAS. There is no internet scanner, which wouldn't even be logical, given that people email their personal statements to tutors all the time.

If you believe someone has copied you this may not matter. As long as you submit your application before they do.
Original post by 105263
It does not matter at all what is on google or on the internet.

The only thing that matters is whether someone has copied your personal statement, used it in theirs and submitted their application.

The Ucas use an anti-plagiarism software which is only for personal statements submitted through UCAS. There is no internet scanner, which wouldn't even be logical, given that people email their personal statements to tutors all the time.

If you believe someone has copied you this may not matter. As long as you submit your application before they do.

Not true - the process is explained here http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/similarity-detection-applicant-guide_0.pdf and does incude some internet content. It does not necessarily matter who submitted first, what matters is being able to show which was written first. Being able to show that the personal statement was on the web might lead admission staff to take a sympathetic view.
Original post by parentlurker
Being able to show that the personal statement was on the web might lead admission staff to take a sympathetic view.

However the sensible course is to avoid the need for his debate at all by re-writing the personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending