The Student Room Group

Remembrance Sunday- what do you think of the Tower of London poppies?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29974771

Has anyone been to see the poppies? What did you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haven't seen them in person but I think they look fantastic & our a wonderful tribute to our armed forces and all who have died. Hopefully they can stay longer so those not living in London have a chance to see them
Reply 2
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see them when I was in London but I think they're such an incredible and beautiful tribute to the soldiers who died.

Original post by Ace123
Hopefully they can stay longer so those not living in London have a chance to see them

I read somewhere (think it was the BBC, can't remember now) that they're meant to stay up until the end of November.
(edited 9 years ago)
I need to go down to that London to see them :smile:
If we lived closer we would go to see them.
I think they are fantastic.
What do you think of them OP?
(edited 9 years ago)
Waste of money
they are marvellous
I love them. Initially I was a bit concerned that they were just going to be a silly gimmick - ceramic poppies???? But the finished work is absolutely incredible. I love it, and so wish I had the chance to go to see them in person. A wonderful work of art.
I haven't, but I hear it's quite something.
Original post by Queen Cersei
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29974771

Has anyone been to see the poppies? What did you think?

Hey! I went on Wednesday, it was so busy and lots of stop/starting trying to get a glimpse and a good photo shot of the whole thing. I got a few good shots but lighting was against us in parts. I am hoping that they continue to do this annually. I got some ok photos, and maybe if I get the chance next year I will buy a poppy to put down.

Attached to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29965477
"The tour will last until 2018 before being permanently based at the Imperial War Museums in London and Manchester."

Got plenty of time to go see it people :smile:
"The Royal British Legion has said it hopes the sale of the poppies, after the installation has been dismantled, will raise in excess of £15m. All net proceeds plus 10% of every £25 poppy sold will be shared between six service charities, including Help for Heroes and the Royal British Legion. Chancellor George Osborne has previously agreed to waive the £1.1m VAT from the poppy sales, also using money from Libor fines."
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by R Dragon
Waste of money

Not if it's your money that you've used to buy one.
Reply 11
I don't think that it's a fitting tribute in any way to the soldiers butchered in that horrendous bloody waste of a generation. Not only does it ignore the millions from other countries who suffered just as much, but it utterly ignores the sheer horror of WW1.

It is not there to help us remember- it's there to make us forget.
Original post by Muulka
I don't think that it's a fitting tribute in any way to the soldiers butchered in that horrendous bloody waste of a generation. Not only does it ignore the millions from other countries who suffered just as much, but it utterly ignores the sheer horror of WW1.

I guess you're in a minority then.
Original post by Muulka

how does rememberence day ignore the sheer horror of ww1 ? :confused:
Reply 14
Original post by -Native Briton-
how does rememberence day ignore the sheer horror of ww1 ? :confused:

Because utterly belies the reality of the war. People around this time talk of sacrifice, heroism and patriotism. But the fact is that that is a total lie. Sacrifice? More like butchery. Heroism? Shell shock and horror. Patriotism? Conscription.

The poppies at the Tower give off an aura of peace and tranquillity. Nothing to do with the horror of the undermining they did in the trenches or sitting in a bunker hearing the shells land around, getting closer and closer...

To understand my feelings properly, you should read this poem by Siegfried Sassoon:
http://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/siegfried-sassoon/on-passing-the-new-menin-gate/

You're welcome to take part in all the pomp of modern-day remembrance, but it is not for me.
I really love them, I live around 10 minutes away anyway so I've been to see it a few times over the last few months

Personally I think the act of wearing a poppy has lost most (if not all) of its significance these days, but something impactful like this was really humbling to see
Original post by Muulka
Because utterly belies the reality of the war. People around this time talk of sacrifice, heroism and patriotism. But the fact is that that is a total lie. Sacrifice? More like butchery. Heroism? Shell shock and horror. Patriotism? Conscription.

The poppies at the Tower give off an aura of peace and tranquillity. Nothing to do with the horror of the undermining they did in the trenches or sitting in a bunker hearing the shells land around, getting closer and closer...

To understand my feelings properly, you should read this poem by Siegfried Sassoon:
http://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/siegfried-sassoon/on-passing-the-new-menin-gate/

You're welcome to take part in all the pomp of modern-day remembrance, but it is not for me.

Maybe they should shoot criminals dressed as fritz at the tower of london would that be more fitting:rolleyes:
Original post by Muulka

People leave flowers at the scenes of car fatalities. Should they leave twisted metal and burned corpses?
Reply 18
Original post by Skip_Snip
People leave flowers at the scenes of car fatalities. Should they leave twisted metal and burned corpses?

There's a bit of a difference between personal mourning and commemorating a disastrous war which killed millions.
Original post by Muulka

Are you talking from experience? Or just trying to make yourself being controversial to make yourself more interesting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending