The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of leeds adult nursing (2015 start)

hello :smile: I was wondering if anyone knew what the selection day at leeds is going to be like!
I have it on the 26th November 2014!
if anyone has any tips, that would be great!!
x
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by siannyj
hello :smile: I was wondering if anyone knew what the selection day at leeds is going to be like!
x

Hello :smile:

i'm not any good at answering your question but i've got one on the 3rd December thats just come through!

Its so exciting isn't it!!
Just wondering who you're putting down as your second referees, I have my boss at work but apart from that Im not sure who else to put! Good luck! x
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by blondy2012
Hello :smile:

i'm not any good at answering your question but i've got one on the 3rd December thats just come through!

Its so exciting isn't it!!
Just wondering who you're putting down as your second referees, I have my boss at work but apart from that Im not sure who else to put! Good luck! x

hey sorry for a late reply :smile:
yayy well done!! hope it all goes well!!:tongue:
its very exciting!!!
erm I got a senior at my work and a close family friend that ive known all my life for a character ref!!
hope that helps!!
xxx
Original post by siannyj
hey sorry for a late reply :smile:
yayy well done!! hope it all goes well!!:tongue:
its very exciting!!!
erm I got a senior at my work and a close family friend that ive known all my life for a character ref!!
hope that helps!!
xxx

️️Thankyou hope yours goes well too!!!

Ah okay that's fine I've done similar it's hard though to know who to put!!

Good luck you'll ace it xx
Reply 4
If anyone has any questions, im a first year adult nursing student at leeds, so went through the whole process only last year :smile:
Original post by Superhalo
If anyone has any questions, im a first year adult nursing student at leeds, so went through the whole process only last year :smile:

Oh well done!! :-). What's the interview process like? Are they like scary with it or friendly with the process? X
Reply 6
I think I was more nervous for my leeds interview than any other, but that's because it was my first choice. They try their best to be friendly, and I can honestly say that it was a good experience you learnt a lot about the course. From what I can remember, it started with an introduction by the head of the program, followed by a group interview/ maths test (the group was split in half), lunch, then the group interview/maths test.

The head of the program is one of my tutors, and she was saying that the maths test is significantly harder this year. In other words, most people did it in 10 minutes last year and they need to be able to prove people can cope with division without a calculator ( for example 3/7, 455/900 ect), so while I haven't seen it, be prepared for it.

Also from experience, I can tell you that more emphasis is put on how you come across in your interview than what grades you get (in my sake anyway). Last year I did pretty well in my interview but got BBBD in my A levels (one of the B's was in general studies so disnt count) and I still got a place :smile:
I think I was more nervous for my leeds interview than any other, but that's because it was my first choice. They try their best to be friendly, and I can honestly say that it was a good experience you learnt a lot about the course. From what I can remember, it started with an introduction by the head of the program, followed by a group interview/ maths test (the group was split in half), lunch, then the group interview/maths test.

The head of the program is one of my tutors, and she was saying that the maths test is significantly harder this year. In other words, most people did it in 10 minutes last year and they need to be able to prove people can cope with division without a calculator ( for example 3/7, 455/900 ect), so while I haven't seen it, be prepared for it.

Also from experience, I can tell you that more emphasis is put on how you come across in your interview than what grades you get (in my sake anyway). Last year I did pretty well in my interview but got BBBD in my A levels (one of the B's was in general studies so disnt count) and I still got a place :smile:

Ah okay thats fine thank you!! so basically just practice doing hard divisions without a calculator? I've always been good at maths so hopefully this will mean that this doesn't let me down!!

Thank you so much thats really put me at ease a little more as it is my first choice too!

are you enjoying it so far? x
Reply 8
Original post by blondy2012
Ah okay thats fine thank you!! so basically just practice doing hard divisions without a calculator? I've always been good at maths so hopefully this will mean that this doesn't let me down!!

Thank you so much thats really put me at ease a little more as it is my first choice too!

are you enjoying it so far? x

Sorry for the late reply, i'm on placement at the moment and have been falling into bed and sleeping as soon as i get in! I love the course, everyone is so nice and willing to help in any way they can. I think it can be a bit difficult at first, not academically, but in the sense that you start to question very early on if you've made the right choice (or at least most of us seem to have), but as soon as you get on placement it helps remind you of why you signed up in the first place!
Sorry for the late reply, i'm on placement at the moment and have been falling into bed and sleeping as soon as i get in! I love the course, everyone is so nice and willing to help in any way they can. I think it can be a bit difficult at first, not academically, but in the sense that you start to question very early on if you've made the right choice (or at least most of us seem to have), but as soon as you get on placement it helps remind you of why you signed up in the first place!

No problem!
Ah brilliant thankyou I had my interview wednesday im nervously waiting now haha!! Good luck in the rest of your placement x
Reply 10
My husband has just got offered a place - what are the lectures like eg how many hours/days per week or does it vary? on placement do you do long shifts or short? im a student nurse at Bradford so it varies every week.

Original post by miaallan
My husband has just got offered a place - what are the lectures like eg how many hours/days per week or does it vary? on placement do you do long shifts or short? im a student nurse at Bradford so it varies every week.

It does differ every week, and each term, but an average week for me was:

Monday: 9-5 with a 1 hour gap for lunch
Tuesday: 9-11 then 5-6
Wednesday: Day off
Thursday: 10-3
Friday: 12-1

On placement i did short days, but you could usually choose, if your placement mentor is ok with it
Reply 12
Original post by miaallan

I'm third year.
We do 24 hours placement a week then Thursday 9-3 and Friday 10-12. But that's due to change.
I do long days or nights, out of personal choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooh! Fantastic!! Iv'e just got an offer for Leeds and wondered what the reading list is like as my dad wants to start buying for Christmas?
Thankyou hun :smile: hope your placement has gone ok :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by madmelly77
Oooh! Fantastic!! Iv'e just got an offer for Leeds and wondered what the reading list is like as my dad wants to start buying for Christmas?
Thankyou hun :smile: hope your placement has gone ok :smile:

I wouldn't bother with most of the reading list apart from the biology book. And maybe the Marsden book. Others aren't necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou hun!! Whats the Marsden book?...:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by madmelly77
Thankyou hun!! Whats the Marsden book?...:smile:

Royal Marsden Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou sooo much :smile: Merry Christmas to you and see you next year!! :smile:
Original post by siannyj
x

Hi Siannyj,
How did the selection day go? Have you got any advice for me as i have my selection afternoon on 7th january.
What did you have to do in the group activities and what were the sums in the numeracy test like? give examples please :smile:
Thanks
Angela
Original post by Angelzmyname
Hi Siannyj,
How did the selection day go? Have you got any advice for me as i have my selection afternoon on 7th january.
What did you have to do in the group activities and what were the sums in the numeracy test like? give examples please :smile:
Thanks
Angela

HI I'm at the same selection day! I'm so nervous...first interview! Where else have you applied to?

Quick Reply

Latest