The Student Room Group

A levels options, please help

Hi all,

I am about to make my A level choices now, so I thought I would consult TSR before making them! I want to go into Economics or Finance or Accounting, and I was thinking of the following options:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics
Government and Politics / Chemistry / Business?

The Sixth Form centre that i would really like to go to and the Sixth Form centre that I am quite sure that I will get into, both require you to choose 5 AS subjects if you are opting for Maths and Further Maths, which I will be.

I have heard that Chemistry is a 'hard' A-level choice and therefore I am weary to approach it with my Double Maths and Physics combo...

I have also heard that universities do not like Business and Economics together due to the similarity in content at some points?

Please help, thanks!
Original post by londoncricket
Hi all,

I am about to make my A level choices now, so I thought I would consult TSR before making them! I want to go into Economics or Finance or Accounting, and I was thinking of the following options:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics
Government and Politics / Chemistry / Business?

The Sixth Form centre that i would really like to go to and the Sixth Form centre that I am quite sure that I will get into, both require you to choose 5 AS subjects if you are opting for Maths and Further Maths, which I will be.

I have heard that Chemistry is a 'hard' A-level choice and therefore I am weary to approach it with my Double Maths and Physics combo...

I have also heard that universities do not like Business and Economics together due to the similarity in content at some points?

Please help, thanks!

I would say do Chemistry or Politics. Chemistry is quite a big step up, or so I've heard, but if you like it then it's up to you. Politics would be different, which would be refreshing as you mainly have science subjects, and you can see lots of links between Politics and Economics. I know people doing Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths and Physics, and they seem okay, but Chemistry does seem the hardest so far. Although I've heard a lot of chemists go into Investment Banking, so who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah Chem is hard, I dropped it in favour of Further Maths. Further Maths and Maths is very useful as it gives you a good foundation for your university as well as Further is a preferred subject by most top universities. However, it is very time consuming, and will take up the bulk of your time. Your first four subjects are fine, if I were you I'd pick Gov and Politics due to it's informative nature. However, if you intend to take your fifth subject just up until AS Level, then go ahead with Chemistry.

all the best! :smile:
Original post by Edminzodo
I would say do Chemistry or Politics. Chemistry is quite a big step up, or so I've heard, but if you like it then it's up to you. Politics would be different, which would be refreshing as you mainly have science subjects, and you can see lots of links between Politics and Economics. I know people doing Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths and Physics, and they seem okay, but Chemistry does seem the hardest so far. Although I've heard a lot of chemists go into Investment Banking, so who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thank you!

I like Chemistry, I find it moderate at GCSE.

I would like to go into Investment Banking, if possible for a little time, as an Analyst.

I may apply for PPE, in this Gov & Pol may help?

Original post by chickensthatfly
Yeah Chem is hard, I dropped it in favour of Further Maths. Further Maths and Maths is very useful as it gives you a good foundation for your university as well as Further is a preferred subject by most top universities. However, it is very time consuming, and will take up the bulk of your time. Your first four subjects are fine, if I were you I'd pick Gov and Politics due to it's informative nature. However, if you intend to take your fifth subject just up until AS Level, then go ahead with Chemistry.

all the best! :smile:

I have almost no intention of continuing 5 subjects to A2...

Reply 4
Hey, I'm in exactly the same position. I've decided to do Chemistry but drop it after a while if I find it's getting too much, and stick with the options I know I want to do for certain.
Original post by MohonaD
Hey, I'm in exactly the same position. I've decided to do Chemistry but drop it after a while if I find it's getting too much, and stick with the options I know I want to do for certain.

Ah that sounds like a good plan!

Quick Reply

Latest