The Student Room Group

Is science a mistake for me?

I don't know whether I should bother to continue pursuing sciences
Basics it's always been my worst subjects and out of the 3 sciences I've usually hated 1 or 2 of them
In primary sch when we had SATS I got 5 5 4(sciences)
GCSEs got Bs in triple sci with an A in chem and I've been pushed down the med route (Asian parents) and I failed my first yr AS (E chem, U bio) although my bio was mainly I worked my ass off, got demotivated when I got my jan unit 1 result and then gave up
Second yr AS I got ABCCC (CC in biochem) still my worst out of all subjects (ACD chem units, BDD bio units) and sciences is the only thing I woke my ass off for, I literally eat, breathe, sleep sciences and I realised at A level I love biology
But with my grades and retake AS student and module units no good uni would take me
Got good work exp and amazing biochem PS I've been told
Predicted A*AA which is a joke considering I'm a retake and it's still a 2 grade jump from my AS (D in bio modules to an A).
(Also retaking every single unit again so it's basically third yr AS, 1 yr intensive a levels)
Teachers push me to do maths but I don't have AS/A2 fm at all and my maths UMS are quite low, I seemed to have scraped an overall A for AS and I'm not that interested in it at uni (my friend is studying first yr maths uni at UCL and basically wants to kill herself because she hates it).

I only seem to enjoy science, it's what I'm passionate about but at the same time I don't want to be a researcher or a science teacher and I know researchers lives are difficult and don't get that good pay because my dad used to be one and he's now a lecturer.
But I don't want to take a foundation yr nor do I have the funds for one and I've wasted a yr of my life (first yr AS) so I don't want a gap yr and my parents wouldn't let me anyway

No idea what to do but had to let everything out ^_^
Atm I've opted for biochem but haven't sent off ucas
(edited 9 years ago)
Medicine is a very competitive subject and usually will only ever take on students with at least AAB at A-level.

There are many routes with a science degree and you do not have to be tied to a science career necessarily - other options are open to marketing, finance, journalism, creative business etc.

If you enjoy wildlife or studying the environment/land have you thought about doing zoology, ecology, geology or agricultural sciences? all great science subjects with varied career paths.

Goodluck :smile:
Reply 2
computers chemistry magician
Reply 3
I'm more into biology than chemistry, but I find after researching courses that there's more I don't like in the course for just biology than what I do like and I don't wanna choose something like genetics because it's highly likely I'll regret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by eahumphries
Medicine is a very competitive subject and usually will only ever take on students with at least AAB at A-level.

There are many routes with a science degree and you do not have to be tied to a science career necessarily - other options are open to marketing, finance, journalism, creative business etc.

If you enjoy wildlife or studying the environment/land have you thought about doing zoology, ecology, geology or agricultural sciences? all great science subjects with varied career paths.

Goodluck :smile:

Original post by Nat_LPS
computers chemistry magician

selenerrr__x-I'm more into biology than chemistry, but I find after researching courses that there's more I don't like in the course for just biology than what I do like and I don't wanna choose something like genetics because it's highly likely I'll regret it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending