The Student Room Group

Getting random people approaching you while shopping

Yesterday i was shopping around Luton and i was approached on like every corner by random people, one wanted me to have a credit card, another wanted me to do a survery, another was trying to sell me stuff that was probably dodgy anyway.

I find it really annoying when you just want to go round by your own things and get interupted all the time, does this annoy you all as well when your out shopping and you get approached by so many people.

No wonder many people use the internet now to shop, so much less hassle.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I never have any dealings with anyone who approaches me in a business sense.
Reply 2
The best fun is when they approach you when you're blatantly doing something else (chatting on your mobile, eating, bantering with mates). The other day I was on my mobile and this guy came up to me and asked me if I wanted to sign some crap petition (closing Burger King or some such rubbish)!

So I tell my mate to hang on, and then ask him if he can clearly see that I'm on the phone, why would he come up and talk to me? And then he gets all pissed off at me, and I can hear my mate laughing his arse off on the other side of the phone. So eventually I just say 'you know what mate, **** you; I'm leaving', and walk off with him still crying abuse at my back. I mean, how sensitive are these people?!?!?

Anyway; yeah, it's annoying :biggrin:
Reply 3
I once had some woman on Buchanan St in Glasgow try to approach me for something (no idea what) - I replied with the standard 'no thanks' - and started getting abuse shouted at me for, it seemed, looking at her a certain way or looking down my nose at her.

I should've asked her who her employer was and told them, but instead I opted for a 'oh, **** off' instead.
Carl1982
Yesterday i was shopping around Luton and i was approached on like every corner by random people, one wanted me to have a credit card, another wanted me to do a survery, another was trying to sell me stuff that was probably dodgy anyway.

you got approached randomly a number of times in Luton without being threatened... i'd be pleased.....:p:
Reply 5
I am one of them random people: "you like to sign a petition against [insert leftie cause here]?". :biggrin:
cjmcnair
you got approached randomly a number of times in Luton without being threatened... i'd be pleased.....:p:

I've never actually been threatened yet in Luton amazingly, oh yeah and there's one another person who keeps shouting on the high street "BIG ISSUE LADIES AND GENTLEMAN"
Reply 7
I just tell them I'm under 18 when they're giving out catalogues/credit cards, I'm lucky I can get away with it :p: Someone approached me to do a testing thing when you had to be 16-25 and I just told them I was 28 so I'm sorry I couldn't take part. I got away with that too but the lady kinda looked at me as though she knew I was lying. :confused:
Reply 8
Happens everywhere.
Whenever we go out for lunch or something they try to advertise themselves.
Usually just shake my head at them and give a firm 'no' to whatever they say.
lolol my friend physically cannot say no to anyone who approaches him on the street. When we were in Paris these Nigerian men came up to him and asked him to sign this "free Nigeria" petition thing. So he does, and then they ask him for €10. So he hesitates and gives him a 20 and the sod took it all! It was so so SO funny.

The same friend has also spent £10 twice, on separate occasions on Hindu monk CDs which were sold to him by approaching him in the street.

I'm so glad I can just say no.
When I was in Paris I found them to be annoying because about four of them would group together, almost as if to try to surround you.

But not oop north, no problems.
Reply 11
=/

I had to approach people for a Vox Pop at our local newspaper for work exp. I absolutley hated it because I didn't know how to come across that I wasn't trying to flog things and most people were too off handish with me and assumed I was going to annoy them.

For anyone who doesn't know what a Vox pop is it's just a small section of the newspaper featuring the daily question relating to todays news and their opinions.

Some people gave me all their details and then didn't even want their picture up therefore voiding the entry . It really ****ed me off.. XD
Reply 12
Oxford is awful for this around Freshers' Week. I live almost opposite where the Freshers' Fair is held, and it proves impossible to escape the clutches of the marketting folk.
Reply 13
Yea I hate it when people do that, now I either just keep walking or say "seriously, I probably don't care" (assuming they're asking me to sign a petition).
Reply 14
Gem
I just tell them I'm under 18 when they're giving out catalogues/credit cards, I'm lucky I can get away with it :p: Someone approached me to do a testing thing when you had to be 16-25 and I just told them I was 28 so I'm sorry I couldn't take part. I got away with that too but the lady kinda looked at me as though she knew I was lying. :confused:

lol me too!
Reply 15
Carl1982

I find it really annoying when you just want to go round by your own things and get interupted all the time, does this annoy you all as well when your out shopping and you get approached by so many people.

F**k 'em, annoying ba****ds.
wilbur
Oxford is awful for this around Freshers' Week. I live almost opposite where the Freshers' Fair is held, and it proves impossible to escape the clutches of the marketting folk.

here i got a whistle, a coule of jelly beans, 2 magnets and a flying saucer off those guys.... and about 100 useless fliers....
I once heard as well, there was a scam going around, what these people would do they would be on the high street pretend they were a survey group then they would say they would give you £10 for taking part in the survey, but the catch was they would ask for your bank details. Of course that is where the sting comes in. Amazingly people feel for it.
Carl1982

Well, I just walk past confidently in a manner that presumably conveys I do not want to be asked, and generally it works.
Reply 19
So annoying! In Birmingham everyday its 'Big Issue please', 'had any accidents?', gypsies, middle aged market researchers, club promoters, God lovers and Fathers4Justice you name it. There are usually like 6 big issue sellers on one street so annoying when I want to walk through a lovely park and they stand on the entrance.

I used to get away with the 'I'm 18' trick but it doesn't work now! These people are harrassers and I wonder if any having a street traders licence. I just ignore them or go into a shop, little sods I see them running over. I just don't go shopping now!

> Also to add there are fake charity and animal collectors with their poor computer processed posters and environmental campaigners who say have a leaflet stop carbon dioxide - making these leaflets produce CO2, hypocrites!

Latest

Trending

Trending