The Student Room Group

Computer Science: Leicester or Lancaster?

Hello guys, despite my normal GCSEs but shockingly outstanding AS Levels I have to my very pleasure received offers from universities to study Computer Science. My first choice is Exeter (MSci Rank 9-10, Russel Group), which sent a letter to my house to keep checking my e-mail awaiting for their decision. I am strongly hoping for a reply from them and I am sure the odds are in my favour. Therefore after this very long and boring introduction let us discuss about the title.

I have to my surprise received an offer from Lancaster (ABB, BSci) Rank 10-11 and Leicester (ABB, MComp) Rank 16 to 19.

I am now wondering which university should I apply for a second choice? Lancaster because it is a top ten and top 1% in the whole world? Or Leicester as it will enable get a master degree in my package plan immediately? Should I be thinking of the fact that employers will be wanting a prestigious top ten university or a very good university?

Also it true that if I reach a certain standard I can switch from BSci to Msci?

Also from people who are actually attending or know this universities very well, what exactly do you recommend? How is the life style at each university?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Scroll to see replies

Monday,
Went to a Leicester Open Day on Tuesday,
I went for a tour around Lancaster on Wednesday,
and on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
I made my decision on Sunday

:flute:

Go with Lancaster.
Reply 2
Original post by Pseudocode
Monday,
Went to a Leicester Open Day on Tuesday,
I went for a tour around Lancaster on Wednesday,
and on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
I made my decision on Sunday

:flute:

Go with Lancaster.

What made you go for Lancaster?
Original post by Craig David
What made you go for Lancaster?

I have a friend who went there that highly recommends it. I have other friends who've been to Leicester and don't recommend it at all, especially as a place to live.
Reply 4
Original post by coffeecakey
Employers generally won't care too much about whether it is Leicester or Lancaster (the difference in ranking is hardly anything to blink at). Then again, I am biased because I am going to Leicester (De Montfort), and I'm pretty damn picky about where I live. De montfort came highly reccommended. It comes down to personal opinion and who you know.

Given that, apparently Leicester Uni isn't as good as De Montfort :biggrin:

Ultimately you should examine the course details and how enticing they sound (as well as investigate the Master package plan because that is a definite big bonus).

Is that a joke? Or are you serious? De Montfort is down the tables bro.
Reply 5
Original post by Pseudocode
I have a friend who went there that highly recommends it. I have other friends who've been to Leicester and don't recommend it at all, especially as a place to live.

Yeah, I was looking atthe course content. Leicester is more focused on stuff like databases, human interface and web designing.

Lancaster is more on the programming side, software development, advanced programming and such. I might go for lancaster and then later apply for a masters. That's no big deal, after all many do that.

I kind of feel bad rejecting these offers as other people are crying to get them....
Reply 6
Hello guys, despite my normal GCSEs but shockingly outstanding AS Levels I have to my very pleasure received offers from universities to study Computer Science. My first choice is Exeter (MSci Rank 9-10, Russel Group), which sent a letter to my house to keep checking my e-mail awaiting for their decision. I am strongly hoping for a reply from them and I am sure the odds are in my favour. Therefore after this very long and boring introduction let us discuss about the title.

I have to my surprise received an offer from Lancaster (ABB, BSci) Rank 10-11 and Leicester (ABB, MComp) Rank 16 to 19.

I am now wondering which university should I apply for a second choice? Lancaster because it is a top ten and top 1% in the whole world? Or Leicester as it will enable get a master degree in my package plan immediately? Should I be thinking of the fact that employers will be wanting a prestigious top ten university or a very good university?

Also it true that if I reach a certain standard I can switch from BSci to Msci?

Also from people who are actually attending or know this universities very well, what exactly do you recommend? How is the life style at each university?

Thank you in advance for your time.

What were your AS grades? What was your personal statment like?, fellow comp science applicant.
Reply 7
I applied to both Exeter and Lancaster for Computer Science and I surprisingly got offers from both of them! Regarding Lancaster and Leicester, I personally would recommend Lancaster but I have heard that the graduate prospects for Leicester are pretty good so it a tough choice! But I don't think it would matter which one you end up going to as they are both pretty similar, just depends on where you want to go.
Reply 8
Original post by Olympus
I applied to both Exeter and Lancaster for Computer Science and I surprisingly got offers from both of them! Regarding Lancaster and Leicester, I personally would recommend Lancaster but I have heard that the graduate prospects for Leicester are pretty good so it a tough choice! But I don't think it would matter which one you end up going to as they are both pretty similar, just depends on where you want to go.

See you at Exeter then, going for MSci. Offer came in.

First choice: Exeter
Second: Lancaster
Reply 9
See you at Exeter then, going for MSci. Offer came in.

First choice: Exeter
Second: Lancaster

Congratulations!
Original post by Olympus
Congratulations!

Thanks, are you doing straight computer science or mixed up with something else?
Reply 11
Thanks, are you doing straight computer science or mixed up with something else?

Yeah, I will be doing Bsc Computer Science and hopefully I would like to go into software development or something related after. How about you?
Original post by Olympus
Yeah, I will be doing Bsc Computer Science and hopefully I would like to go into software development or something related after. How about you?

I will go for Computer Science, same thing Software developing but I think I will be inclined towards spending 3 more years at university for research. I will probably change university for that.

What was you offer? What grades did they ask for?
Reply 13
Impressive! My offer was AAB for Bsc Computer Science, and ABB for Lancaster. Bit of a dilemma for me because both universities are really good, but I'm inclined towards Exeter for the graduate prospects. What about you?
Original post by Olympus
Impressive! My offer was AAB for Bsc Computer Science, and ABB for Lancaster. Bit of a dilemma for me because both universities are really good, but I'm inclined towards Exeter for the graduate prospects. What about you?

Both AAB exeter and ABB Lancaster
Reply 15
Both AAB exeter and ABB Lancaster

That's great. What other Uni's have you applied too?
Original post by Olympus
That's great. What other Uni's have you applied too?

Exeter Lancaster, Greenwich, Loughborough, Leicester.

Got an offer from every single one except Loughborough.

You?

Hey, I was wondering. Exeter Says AAA-ABB. Do they actually give out ABB offers?
Reply 17
Exeter, Lancaster, Liverpool, Nottingham and Keele- got offers from all of them. I think they rarely do give out ABB offers as I haven't seen any other offer holders getting an ABB however I think that is a contextual offer and depends on school circumstances, economical situation etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Olympus
Exeter, Lancaster, Liverpool, Nottingham and Keele- got offers from all of them. I think they rarely do give out offers as I haven't seen any other offer holders getting an ABB however I think that is a contextual offer and depends on school circumstances, economical situation etc.

Yeah, probably. My school is pretty bad. Very very bad, just this year it was upgraded by ofsted to being a "GOOD SCHOOL". My teachers got hyped. They even held an assembly.

I tell you I study Maths, FM, Physics and ICT. None of which I do at my school, I travel to the other schools of the consortium. Just saying......
Reply 19
None of which you do at your school? That must difficult travelling to other schools to do those subjects! I myself study Maths, Further Maths and I also do Spanish. I did take AS Physics but I didn't enjoy it as much as the others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending