The Student Room Group

In love with my guy friend but I hate him at the same time..

Basically, I've known this guy for a long time and we're in upper sixth form. We consider each other to be really good mates. The thing is I'm besotted by him, he's everything I want in a guy but I know he doesn't feel the same way.
He recieves a lot of attention from girls and it makes me feel threatened. I feel as if he likes those girls much more than he likes me even though he's only known them for a few months. Lately, in order to stop feeling this way I've deliberately avoided the places he spends his free time in. However, when he does see me he always makes an effort to talk to me or if I walk past him I can see him staring at me.
What shall I do? I need some advice to help stop feeling this way...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Someone pleaseee help..I NEED advice
Ask him out
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, I've known this guy for a long time and we're in upper sixth form. We consider each other to be really good mates. The thing is I'm besotted by him, he's everything I want in a guy but I know he doesn't feel the same way.
He recieves a lot of attention from girls and it makes me feel threatened. I feel as if he likes those girls much more than he likes me even though he's only known them for a few months. Lately, in order to stop feeling this way I've deliberately avoided the places he spends his free time in. However, when he does see me he always makes an effort to talk to me or if I walk past him I can see him staring at me.

I would advocate total openness and honesty with him. Tell him everything as this can be cathartic, and if the friendship is really strong it'll survive just fine.

I get that this sounds very risky, but give it some thought...PM me if you want more of a chat?
Join the club OP..
Exactly the same.

I was in this situation with a girl. It developed into an obsession and although it was torture I cut off permanently and completely. It's the only way especially if they hurt you deliberately. You have to have self-control for it to work but after a while it does. Keel busy with friends and hobbies etc.
Reply 6
Original post by SebCross
I would advocate total openness and honesty with him. Tell him everything as this can be cathartic, and if the friendship is really strong it'll survive just fine.

I get that this sounds very risky, but give it some thought...PM me if you want more of a chat?

I can't. It will totally destroy the friendship and make things awkward-I know that for a fact. I just need advice on whether I should maintain a close friendship with him despite it killing me or shall I just avoid him and keep it hi/bye? I'm so confused :frown:
If it's bothering you that much, which it clearly is - tell him how you feel. You can't go on avoiding the places he frequents forever. He probably has no clue you feel like that and of course he'll make an effort to talk to you - you've said he considers you to be a good friend!
I can't. It will totally destroy the friendship and make things awkward-I know that for a fact. I just need advice on whether I should maintain a close friendship with him despite it killing me or shall I just avoid him and keep it hi/bye? I'm so confused :frown:

Ask yourself how you'd feel if you lost the close friendship you have with him - would you feel relieved or would you miss being close with him? I think this needs to be at the centre of your considerations. And perhaps I shouldn't take the liberty of suggesting this, but would it not be possible to create a sort of 'friends with benefits' arrangement with him?
Reply 9
I was in this situation with a girl. It developed into an obsession and although it was torture I cut off permanently and completely. It's the only way especially if they hurt you deliberately. You have to have self-control for it to work but after a while it does. Keel busy with friends and hobbies etc.

Yh I really don't want to become one of them obsessed types but he's all I think about :frown:....how did you go about cutting off contact? I want to cut off contact without coming across as a bitch.
Ask yourself how you'd feel if you lost the close friendship you have with him - would you feel relieved or would you miss being close with him? I think this needs to be at the centre of your considerations. And perhaps I shouldn't take the liberty of suggesting this, but would it not be possible to create a sort of 'friends with benefits' arrangement with him?

Loool never friends with benefits. And I have mixed emotions. I would feel sad to throw our friendship away but then relief too because I hate the way I feel and whenever he's around other girls I get really jealous and start acting bitchy- which is totally not my character
Loool never friends with benefits. And I have mixed emotions. I would feel sad to throw our friendship away but then relief too because I hate the way I feel and whenever he's around other girls I get really jealous and start acting bitchy- which is totally not my character

Why rule out 'friends w/ benefits'? You could have the very best of both worlds...Yes, I understand how conflicted you feel about it - I've been in broadly similar situations in the past, and it is really tough to know what to do about it.
Original post by Jennie027
If it's bothering you that much, which it clearly is - tell him how you feel. You can't go on avoiding the places he frequents forever. He probably has no clue you feel like that and of course he'll make an effort to talk to you - you've said he considers you to be a good friend!

I think he can probably tell I fancy him but he hasn't said anything so its not awkward between us. I just want to stop feeling this way..its horrible :frown:
Reply 13
When I was in such a situation I started avoiding the guy. It helped me get over my feelings, but I did lose a great friend. So, while I think that the pain has helped me grow a bit, I sometimes regret my decision. The best advice would be to get over your feelings for him while still being friends, but how is that possible I don't know lol. Just seeing the person you like makes you like them even more. I have mixed opinions on confessing
Why rule out 'friends w/ benefits'? You could have the very best of both worlds...Yes, I understand how conflicted you feel about it - I've been in broadly similar situations in the past, and it is really tough to know what to do about it.

We can't be friends w/benefits because he doesn't fancy me plus he's very good looking and has girls throwing themselves at him. The one thing I never want to be is desperate so I deliberately distance myself from him
I think he can probably tell I fancy him but he hasn't said anything so its not awkward between us. I just want to stop feeling this way..its horrible :frown:

Talk to him about it? You're both good friends so be open and honest. If you really are good friends it shouldn't ruin your friendship and he may feel the same. It has to be better than bottling it up and worrying about it, surely?
Original post by iama
When I was in such a situation I started avoiding the guy. It helped me get over my feelings, but I did lose a great friend. So, while I think that the pain has helped me grow a bit, I sometimes regret my decision. The best advice would be to get over your feelings for him while still being friends, but how is that possible I don't know lol. Just seeing the person you like makes you like them even more. I have mixed opinions on confessing

THIS. I can relate so much
Original post by Jennie027
Talk to him about it? You're both good friends so be open and honest. If you really are good friends it shouldn't ruin your friendship and he may feel the same. It has to be better than bottling it up and worrying about it, surely?

Me confessing my feelings to him is like ugly betty confessing her feelings for ryan gosling. I am 100% sure he doesn't feel the same way. Plus his best mate is also my best mate which means things will become verrrry awkward. I really need to get over him but every time I feel as if I am he'll text me or hug me and it'll all come back.
Original post by iama

I wouldn't want to lose a good friend though.
It is a hard decision to call whether you confess or not but OP cannot stay in the limbo state they're in. You can't live your life ignoring someone - it could make them feel like they've done wrong too.

Dreadful idea. Women especially seem to become emotionally attached in fwb even when not previously. If the OP did it it would only intensify her unrequited feelings.

Yh I really don't want to become one of them obsessed types but he's all I think about :frown:....how did you go about cutting off contact? I want to cut off contact without coming across as a bitch.

I told them I couldn't continue our friendship because it was too painful. It's simply a matter of self-control but I'd say it's definitely for the best. If you want to lie that's fine, like you have a bf who is uncomfortable with the friendship between you two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending