The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tednol
I saw the figures of the starting salaries for people with economic degrees from Manchester, and the highest was 42k. And they were for people graduating in 2002. Granted that was the highest out of 350 people...

Damn! and thats starting salary! Even if the salaries don't rise by much over their career (although probably will) , that is a respectable amount, indeed!
TELEPATHICTUBBY
Damn! and thats starting salary! Even if the salaries don't rise by much over their career (although probably will) , that is a respectable amount, indeed!

Yeah but think of all that work you have to put in, and the lack of a weekend or a social life. Fine if you want to live for your job but...hmm...statistics...
Mysticmin
Yeah but think of all that work you have to put in, and the lack of a weekend or a social life. Fine if you want to live for your job but...hmm...statistics...

Oh but you could do that for a while and have some money saved up. The graduate debt wouldn't then be a problem at all. A lot of people do just that and with the money saved, they travel, experience all they can, and find something that they are interested in and would work less for.

With a lot of graduates not being able to find a job they like or get paid a lot for, those on 40,000+ are not doing too badly..:biggrin:
TELEPATHICTUBBY
Oh but you could do that for a while and have some money saved up. The graduate debt wouldn't then be a problem at all. A lot of people do just that and with the money saved, they travel, experience all they can, and find something that they are interested in and would work less for.

With a lot of graduates not being able to find a job they like or get paid a lot for, those on 40,000+ are not doing too badly..:biggrin:

I know, but I value my youth. But I also like pressure and a competitive environment. Dunno, too early to decided now I guess.
theedge
Many of you have just said that with 20 or 30K a year you can live fine, but you haven´t consider that you will probably be retired after 15 or 20 years of work; so you have to earn a lot more than those 20 or 30k to be able to have some savingsfor the time you are not productive anymore.

Erm... we're not talking about footballers here! You're talking about people retiring at 36... There may be a trend towards early retirement at the moment, but (a) it's still not all that common, (b) early retirement tends to mean fifties rather than thirties and (c) people working in non-physical jobs can be "productive" into their eighties.

Personally I'm probably going to go into programming on graduation... I'll earn a starting salary of about £28k, rising to in the region of £40k after a year or so.
Reply 45
ThePants999

Personally I'm probably going to go into programming on graduation... I'll earn a starting salary of about £28k, rising to in the region of £40k after a year or so.

Apart from a certain few companies, £28k starting salary for a graduate rising to £40k after the 1st year in the computer industry can be a pretty unrealistic expectation of earnings, especially for programmers, since many senior programmers(who have been in the biz more than 10 yrs) earn like £45/50k max.
Reply 46
BossLady
Apart from a certain few companies, £28k starting salary for a graduate rising to £40k after the 1st year in the computer industry can be a pretty unrealistic expectation of earnings, especially for programmers, since many senior programmers(who have been in the biz more than 10 yrs) earn like £45/50k max.

But, realistically, if he's doing E&M at Oxford, if he wants to earn a lot, he isn't going to have much difficulty, it's an excellent course.
Reply 47
It's an excellent degree.. but earning £40k within a year, in programming doesn't happen.
James_W
It's an excellent degree.. but earning £40k within a year, in programming doesn't happen.

i still dont understand why people are so obsessed with investment banking, my dad has his own home-business, and he earns more than 100k a year, more than most people in investment banking, and much more less stressful and insecure + he doesnt need to pay income tax!
Reply 49
Why did you quote me?
Reply 50
Kurdt Morelo
i still dont understand why people are so obsessed with investment banking, my dad has his own home-business, and he earns more than 100k a year, more than most people in investment banking, and much more less stressful and insecure + he doesnt need to pay income tax!

Why doesn't he have to pay taxes ? Living on Virgin Islands?
Reply 51
Lord Huntroyde
But, realistically, if he's doing E&M at Oxford, if he wants to earn a lot, he isn't going to have much difficulty, it's an excellent course.

It doesn't make a difference what he is doing and at what university. The Dotcom bubble burst awhile ago now and the IT industry although recovering, is not in a great state. Jobs such as programming are being outsourced to India where they can get good quality work for cheap prices. You're very very unlikely to start on a the salary he suggested, with a degree from anywhere and increase at such a dramatic rate. However, I have seen and done work experience in a few (and they are not easy to find) companies that do offer starting salaries such as that......but you can bet the competition for full time jobs there is mega tough(being from oxbridge or another top 5 uni is a given ie is no advantage...more like a requirement, so you're competing with people on the same level as you).
Now of course if he just wants to make money, his course and uni is a great advantage, but not for programming it isn't lol...there is a big big difference.
Reply 52
James_W

It can happen but it is rare. Smaller software houses like Data Connection or Softwire offer these types of starting salaries. Very, very competitive though.
Reply 53
Hmmm it seems thepants999 already has his foot in the door of Data Connection. http://www.dataconnection.com/careers/vac/cbcjp.htm
His estimate of what he may be earning is clearly not that unrealistic then....
Reply 54
BossLady
Hmmm it seems thepants999 already has his foot in the door of Data Connection. http://www.dataconnection.com/careers/vac/cbcjp.htm

See - I try not to doubt people to early, they generally don't just lie, quote:

"Graduates will typically be earning a package of £30,000 - £40,000 at the end of their first year. This is based on a starting salary of £26,000, which may be increased for applicants with a Ph.D/D.Phil. Growth can be very rapid. After two years, most graduates achieve a total remuneration of more than one and a half times their initial salary, and some more than double it."
Reply 55
Lord Huntroyde
See - I try not to doubt people to early, they generally don't just lie, quote:

"Graduates will typically be earning a package of £30,000 - £40,000 at the end of their first year. This is based on a starting salary of £26,000, which may be increased for applicants with a Ph.D/D.Phil. Growth can be very rapid. After two years, most graduates achieve a total remuneration of more than one and a half times their initial salary, and some more than double it."

By the way, I did say that apart from a few companies, this salary is unlikely for most graduates even at top unis going into programming, clearly Data Connection falls into the "few companies" category though, so my statements still stick. Although this guy may be heading for a good starting salary going into programming, most people won't be....yes even from the best unis....there just aren't enough places available.
Reply 56
DataConnection has extremely strong connections with Oxbridge as well.
Reply 57
BossLady

I stand corrected.. good luck to him then!
Sure. I personally am a bad example and I shouldn't have mentioned it. But then my basic two points are that (a) you only need to earn "enough" money - enough to live comfortably on - for money no longer to be the factor limiting your happiness and (b) once you are, it's then important to have a job that provides for everything else in life. Including time and space to enjoy it!

BTW... to go from my mention of programming plus a good salary to you guys finding my profile buried in the midst of DC's site is some damned good investigative work!
Reply 59
Jools
For EU residents there's often offices in France, Belgium, Germany, Holland... otherwise they're accepted for UK internships provided they have a permit allowing them to legally work here. For investment banks European students are looked at very favourably, since fluency in 2+ languages is a great bonus..

hohoho!

i knew doing a year in france was a good idea.

Latest

Trending

Trending