The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In sikhism , we dont discriminate based on caste or colour. Our Harminder Sahib has 4 entrances so anyone can enter including people from different religions. I dont see why I cant marry someone from another race or religion in a Gudwara.

Original post by Anonsikh
lndian women living in foreign countries , who come from good families have this rule for dating :
No BMW..
B stands for black men , M stands for muslims & W stands for white men.

Sikh parents like most of Indians would never accept a black person because of our cultural incompability ...We may accept a white person because they are also caucasians and have fair skin like us , but never a black man,In the Indian caste system, whom you marry has negative effects on your entire extended family of 200 people

Per the Indian caste system, a typical white, beef eater, xtian, non-virgin, would cause disgrace for his 2nd cousins, who would therefore be at a disadvantage in getting married using the traditional marriage route

However, also per the Indian caste system, lighter skin is a marker of higher caste, so a fair skin grand kid would raise status and many Indian families would reluctantly accept a white

In the same manner, marrying a black would lead to darker grandkids and a sign of mixing with low castes and this could lead to an honor killing - look up Sparkle Rai.If she is Hindu or Sikh, they have caste and black is low caste
She will be assaulted and deported. Look up Sparkle Rai .As an Indian raised in the west I can tell you that if my sister was dating a black man ,my family would kill them .So please use your brain , your family will never accept a black man , they might hurt you for having sex with a negroid .Indian culture always tell you to respect and honour your parents a black man is not worth losing your family and risking your life.
Original post by Spongebob'sPants
Isn't it just a tad worrying he is so dismissive of your culture/heritage/wishes?

I'd certainly want someone to respect views or wishes a bit more than that.

As I have said before. He is an aethiest and doesnt want to be a hypocrite
Original post by KiranKaur1994
In sikhism , we dont discriminate based on caste or colour. Our Harminder Sahib has 4 entrances so anyone can enter including people from different religions. I dont see why I cant marry someone from another race or religion in a Gudwara.

If he's an atheist why would you expect him to get married in Gudwara?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Lmao. The caste system is a racist system. Most religious Hindus/Sikhs knowingly practice racism by dismissing their child's potential partners because of their skin colour. That's racism. Perhaps you should spend less time criticising Islam and more time reassessing your own messed up culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here comes another Joker talking caste system ( your divide and rule tricks will not work any more.) Caste system has nothing to do with skin color. It just happens to be that upper caste people are generally a bit lighter. . First clean your house before looking into others ... Dont pretend to be clever, we know your intelligence level. I see lot of people suffering to pay your energy bill's, still your country goes to war to Iraq, Afghanistan etc.. FIX YOUR PROBLEMS FIRST. God save your jealousy. I do not understand why your PM is making regular trip's to India.
Reply 84
This thread is full of hypcrites

Abdul who is talking about racism when he is one himself
GGMU who talks about Indian culture but the whole site knows he is a junky (drug addict)
Chocolate sauce , the malayalee hindu girl who date loads of boys behind her parents back

ONLY ON TSR....
Hi

After starting university, I started dating a black guy and we are now in a serious relationship. I have lost my virginity to him and I am now on the pill as my boyfriend doesnt like condoms.

I think I want to marry my boyfriend but worried my Sikh Punjabi family wont like it. They are conservative sikhs although they dont practice fully i.e dont wear turbans. I want to get married in the Gudwara but worried my community may oppose it - my boyfriend is an aethiest and thinks wearing the turban even just for our marriage is a waste of time.

Is there any Sikh girls out there that can advise me who have been in the same position?

Just be happy he aint a Muslim or a paki you would have been royally ****ed if he was one of those and I'd imagine being with a black guy isn't really a problem these days I know a few indian girls dating black guys and it must not be unheard of if any of them got married.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon78a
This thread is full of hypcrites

Abdul who is talking about racism when he is one himself
GGMU who talks about Indian culture but the whole site knows he is a junky (drug addict)
Chocolate sauce , the malayalee hindu girl who date loads of boys behind her parents back

ONLY ON TSR....

Whose dupe are you bae? Xxx
Reply 87
What kind of girl who cares this much about her religion still like a guy who practically insults her religion? :confused:

Either troll, or very stupid girl.
Original post by TheBBQ
What kind of girl who cares this much about her religion still like a guy who practically insults her religion? :confused:

Either troll, or very stupid girl.

She said later on "Also I am not religious myself but respect my culture and customs hence my post."
Hi

After starting university, I started dating a black guy and we are now in a serious relationship. I have lost my virginity to him and I am now on the pill as my boyfriend doesnt like condoms.

I think I want to marry my boyfriend but worried my Sikh Punjabi family wont like it. They are conservative sikhs although they dont practice fully i.e dont wear turbans. I want to get married in the Gudwara but worried my community may oppose it - my boyfriend is an aethiest and thinks wearing the turban even just for our marriage is a waste of time.

Is there any Sikh girls out there that can advise me who have been in the same position?

I am a practising sikh and I am aware of all the rulings. An anand karaj the sikh wedding ceremony can be between two Sikhs only regardless of what goes on at certain Gurudwaras; thus regardless of the colour of your boyfriend you can't marry him in a Gurudwara, you can have a court marriage and then come to the Gurudwara for blessings but an anand karaj shouldn't be allowed. Therefore the religious ruling is you can't marry him and even if you managed to have an anand karaj it would be invalid.

Moving onto the punjabi culture now, sadly in the punjabi culture black people are viewed as the lowest of the low therefore your family probably will not accept him because if they do they will be the joke of the entire community and looked down upon. You will bring a lot of shame onto your family and maybe disowned. If you do end up leaving your boyfriend as bad as this is going to sound I suggest you don't tell any punjabi boys that you went with a black guy because it will hinder your chances of finding another partner, that would be if you were after a sikh punjabi guy. To conclude your relationship is not religiously or culturally acceptable.
Original post by harjotsingh93
I am a practising sikh and I am aware of all the rulings. An anand karaj the sikh wedding ceremony can be between two Sikhs only regardless of what goes on at certain Gurudwaras; thus regardless of the colour of your boyfriend you can't marry him in a Gurudwara, you can have a court marriage and then come to the Gurudwara for blessings but an anand karaj shouldn't be allowed. Therefore the religious ruling is you can't marry him and even if you managed to have an anand karaj it would be invalid.

Moving onto the punjabi culture now, sadly in the punjabi culture black people are viewed as the lowest of the low therefore your family probably will not accept him because if they do they will be the joke of the entire community and looked down upon. You will bring a lot of shame onto your family and maybe disowned. If you do end up leaving your boyfriend as bad as this is going to sound I suggest you don't tell any punjabi boys that you went with a black guy because it will hinder your chances of finding another partner, that would be if you were after a sikh punjabi guy. To conclude your relationship is not religiously or culturally acceptable.

Why, certainly not.

That paragraph is just sad. People need to move on.

this is embarrassing , sikhism is becoming more and more backwards and corrupt.
Every religion has its protocols; if you are not going to follow the religion don't associate yourself with the religion by saying you are sikh. What do you define as backwards is much better for society. What are the current divorce rates, how many single mums are there, do you even know who your biological father is or did you have to take a DNA test. You call us backwards you are a walking STD, everytime you walk down the high street you might have walked past your dad without even knowing.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Why, certainly not.

That paragraph is just sad. People need to move on.

Atleast my people didn't enslave black people for centuries and treat them like ****. Then colonised them and robbed them, raped their women.
Atleast my people didn't enslave black people for centuries and treat them like ****. Then colonised them and robbed them, raped their women.

Lol 'my people'...

I'm punjabi myself....

Btw slavery does not justify your backwards views lol.
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon so that you and your boyfriend can be together again.

But on a more serious note, I really think you're probably going to have to either elope or give up the relationship. It's not at all unusual for parents to dislike it when people marry someone of a different race or religion. It's very hard to convince parents to give you their blessing to marry someone they find loathsome, even in the best of circumstances.
Reply 96

Lol owned by @TheonlyMrsHolmes
Original post by nucdev
Lol owned by @TheonlyMrsHolmes

Oh yes :yep:
Why has a thread that's almost a year old been revived?

I wonder what happened to OP and her boyfriend in the end...
Original post by Danz123
Why has a thread that's almost a year old been revived?

I wonder what happened to OP and her boyfriend in the end...

Because a silly person chose to comment on it :redface:

Ikr, I want to know as well! If will forever be a mystery....:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending